Malware warnings

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJDimac

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know why I keep getting warnings that malware has been blocked while using this forum?

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Banner ads.

Ads do more than just put pix up. Some run Flash player, some can run scripts. As long as your AV software and o/s are up to date you're very likely OK.

Microsoft issued a crapton of updates last month, so the most likely scenario is that someone hacked an adware site that wasn't patched quickly enough, and is using it to serve out ads with redirects. It'll stop as soon as the adware site cops on.

ETA: I didn't mean adware, I meant ad server.

Last edited:

JJDimac

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I found some older threads on this after the post. I figured as much, I was just surprised at the amount of false positives. At least I know that Avast is working!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
At least I know that Avast is working!

Or that it isn't working. False positives can be as bad as the real thing. One reason I stopped using Avast is because it seems to flag almost everything as a virus, or as malware, or as something to be cautious about, and it wasted my time over and over and over.

I don't have time to deal with a program that doesn't get it right, and false positives are not getting it right.

JJDimac

Registered
Reaction score
I actually meant that at least I know Avast is doing something. I had Norton forever. I always kept it updated, and things would still slip by. I don't seem to be getting anymore malware warnings today, so I guess whatever was setting Avast off has subsided for now.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I actually meant that at least I know Avast is doing something. I had Norton forever. I always kept it updated, and things would still slip by. I don't seem to be getting anymore malware warnings today, so I guess whatever was setting Avast off has subsided for now.

I think Norton is probably the best program out there, at least if you have the full program, but there's a lot more to good protection than just keeping the software up to date. Especially with Norton. I've found most users take advantage of only a few things Norton can do. They let it run in the background, looking for a virus, or checking downloaded files, and that's it.

I don't know how wise it is, but I know a lot of pretty savvy people who use both Norton, and a dedicated anti-malware program.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Norton actually isn't that good because it keeps eating so much memory that it can slow a computer, especially an older one down so much that it's basically unusable.
If it were simply about virus detecting it would probably be number 1, sadly enough it's also number 1 at memory hogging :(

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
1. There is no malware on the Absolute Write server.

2. We don't run ads with malware.

3. You've got malware cookies and JavaScript; the cookie acts as a timer. You didn't get it from Absolute Write.

4. Log off. Make sure you know your login data. Clear your cache and delete cookies. Completely shut down your browser, and log in again.

Status
Not open for further replies.