paint.net problems

unionrdr

wannbe author
Registered
Reaction score
I'm having trouble with any paint.net downloads, even from their own site. Never mind the malware infestations of the ones from other download sites. I try to unzip & install it, then get some error about paint.net SFX setup. Something about....\local\temp\Pdn\Setup\SetupShim.exe? I need it back, as I do my covers with it.

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not to be insulting, but are you sure you've downloaded the right version of paint.net for your computer system?

The paint.net forum is knowledgeable about certain issues, although they are slightly full of themselves.

A off-topic question: Do you have GIMP? It's more complicated to learn, but it can do more than Paint.net and in some ways is easier to use.

unionrdr

wannbe author
Registered
Reaction score
No, I don't have gimp. Darn hacker problems a while ago got rid of paint.net & I can't get it to install again?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Did you completely remove the old version of paint.net?

What system are you using? Windows 7? 8?

Here's a suggestion (that probably won't work but is probably worth a try): Reboot your computer, then download the installation file again from a trusted website and run it.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're probably frustrated at the moment, union, and now isn't a good time to discuss alternates to Paint.net. Let's talk about GIMP vs. Paint.net when you're at a "good place" some time.

unionrdr

wannbe author
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess. I've been frustrated by windows 7 install after expensive repair & hacker stuff I got rid of. I had to fix something in the windows list that enables/disables specific windows functions. The one needed was stopped.
got it running again & mocrosoft.net popped in finally to install net framework 4.5.2 or other the program needs. Then paint.net instal window popped in & back out. Clicked on 4.0.4 install again & it finally installed. But if gimp is any better, then maybe? I use it to do my cover art as microsoft paint just doesn't cut it at all for me.

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just an editorial comment that anyone is free to disagree with. Paint.net sounds like such a good idea. Sometimes you just need a simple program to do some graphics that is a bit more sophisticated than Paint. Ah, Paint.net! Great.

However, I find Paint.net frustrating. It brings its own quirks and limitations in to the mix. I think every time I've tried to use Paint.net for something I ended up going back to GIMP (or even back to Paint).

GIMP does take more time and effort to learn to use, but once you get the hang of it, it seems easier because, unlike Paint.net, it doesn't have as many limitations. It's not quite up to Photoshop, but then it's free.

Just as idea for you to consider if you're going to continue to do book covers or other graphics.

Last edited:

aperson

Registered
Reaction score
Have you tired PhotoFiltre? It does very well for simple graphics and is freeware. If you pay you are able to get the layers that Photoshop has. Gimp will give you the layers and it is freeware.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
Just a by-the-way, there is a portable version of GIMP that you can drop anywhere and also replace with no hassles if any part of it gets corrupted. That and quite a few other portable graphics progs can be found here

I'm quite fond of using portable software in Windows. It avoids all the nested-ten-deep configuration files, odd dependencies, and Windows' tendency to mess with and confuse things. You just have to make your own shortcuts.

I tried Paint.Net many years ago, and not only did I dislike the interface, but it was a hefty download for my then dial-up connection, and it always demanded to be updated just when I needed it. We parted with unpleasant words, and haven't spoken since. ;)

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I'm having trouble with any paint.net downloads, even from their own site. Never mind the malware infestations of the ones from other download sites. I try to unzip & install it, then get some error about paint.net SFX setup. Something about....\local\temp\Pdn\Setup\SetupShim.exe? I need it back, as I do my covers with it.
Hmm, yep when I check out ...\AppData\Local\Temp\PdnSetup I can see SetupShim.exe

What is the "something about" message? Not present? Not able to run it?

-Derek

unionrdr

wannbe author
Registered
Reaction score
I just couldn't remember the whole thing to write it down, sorry. Anyway, after looking around the paint'net faqs, etc, I found something. These windows bits that can be started or stopped, enabled or disabled in this list window. each one has a little gear in front of it. This one near the bottom of the list had to be set to manual & turned on. It finally allowed the download of mocrosoft.net to download & install "4.5.2" .net framework. I was then able to download & install the latest paint.net program, "4.0.4". Amazing how little things mean a lot!
It took me a while to learn to use the program though. The toughest part for me is having to remember how everything works. It does have a pic function that sorta reminds me of the old diazo print film. Kind of like digital color separations. Might be interesting?

Last edited:

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I find the best graphics program depends on what you do. I was very frustrated with paint.net because certain features were lacking.

For picture editing I think GIMP by far the best. However if you want to do pixel art and sketching, like what I had originally thought paint.net would be good for, I think probably the best free program right now is FireAlpaca.

unionrdr

wannbe author
Registered
Reaction score
I just did another cover for a book I was inspired to write from 38 +1's on Johnny Cash's ballad of John Henry video on Youtube. Some folks said they'd buy the book if I wrote about John & blue collar workers I'd commented about. It looks a bit "cinemascope" but it still looks pretty good for a book cover's dimensional requirements.

Last edited:

unionrdr

wannbe author
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I tried to make them stand out in the crowd as it were. Something I remember from business college in the early 80's. Here's a pic of the new book cover for "John Henry & The Blue Collar World"...

And book 2 of the sci-fi series;

I'm well into writing both at present.

Last edited:

unionrdr

wannbe author
Registered
Reaction score
Oops, sorry. Another post cropped them nicely. Can i modify them here, or? Nvrmnd, got it.

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No problem. Thank you for changing the image sizes.

It doesn't have to be exactly 400x400 (or square), just around that equivalent image size. If someone had a nice image that is currently 400x420, that's fine. Or someone can make their image around 500x320. It's just that oversize images can be a problem for some people.