Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
I've tired one online crit group, but I got yelled at alot, because my grammar wasnt up to par. So i quit. I'm still technically in another but... no one has posted anything in a few months, so i think everyone just quit. I guess i need to look around more.

I did beta swap with a few people (Even got my name in the one guys book! Don't know why but this makes me happy), but they never responded back to me about mine.

I'm trying to figure out how to expand my circle, to at least two people!

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
Almost everybody in my life is supportive of my writing, because if they have a problem with it, I just don't talk to them.

I guess I can't do that with my family, (though with some members I would), but if someone has a problem with my writing I'm not friends with them. I don't mean that if a person isn't super interested I don't hang out with them, but if a person thinks it's weird or bad or not cool I say "Well you suck and I'm awesome" and that's that.

ETA: but I talk to almost every person I know about writing and my plots. EVERYONE.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
I dont have that option with my family. My mom's starting to jump on the bandwagon a little, which is way more then her usual "its a waist of time what your doing you should go out and make friends" mentality. Wanna know something really funny? My grandmom was a professional proofreader. Yeah and she's never proofread a single book of mine. I've asked and one time about 4 years ago she got through the first 30 pages then never touched it again. Oh well.

The small group of friends i have know i write, but no one reads any of it. My boyfriend was my only beta reader, then he stopped. So now i'm down to Para who was nice enough to offer to edit my first book. That's it. I guess you can also half include my mom now. And i recently kind of got 1 and a half writing buddies.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
My parents don't like me writing if I forget schoolwork and stuff, but generally I'm busy enough to please them.

Also I come from a very large family and most of my family thinks my writing is awesome, because we're a very close family as well.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Printing out Underdogs so far. Has anyone else ever had narrow scrips of faded ink on a page, even with enough ink?

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, I would stop asking friends and family to read your work. If they were seriously interested, they'd be pestering you, not the other way around. I've learned to be careful about pushing people to read my work - often they're too polite to say no, and I end up forcing them into something they really don't want to do, which of course they avoid for months, and then they feel guilty and it's all terribly awkward.

You could always try joining Purgatory. Not just for people querying agents! Also for those looking for writing friends.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I am watching a programme about horses in World War One.

Now, I wonder if a paper clip will hold 34 pieces of paper? I have to put them in order first...

CharacterInWhite

Kind of a big deal
Registered
Reaction score
Woo, just got a request for a full submission. :D

Now the nail biting begins...

How's the show coming along, Tally? How's life, other twifties?

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I missed a page. #fail.

ETA: I thank the powers that be for bulldog clips.

Last edited:

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Ari.

Sadly, bulldog clips do not like folders. So, the folders will be used for something else.

Now all I need is some coloured pens and I can scrawl all over my 34 pages (just over 10.5K of) epicness and see what scenes I wanr to keep.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't scribble on anything until I had a completed draft...and then there was a whooooole lot of scribbling xD

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I'm restarting.

The ink's weird on some of the pages, I swear some of them are wonky in terms of being in a pile, but I'm still proud of it in a weird way.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
I ALWAYS scribble over completed drafts, but I don't believe in editing before the draft is done.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Ahhh, all right then. I know one of my friends (who is not on AW) completely scrapped the first part of her novel a few weeks back because she'd left so much out and wanted to improve it heavily.

ETA: I used to edit before I finished, but those were the days when I never finished anything. So these days I just make a note of things I want to fix in a separate document and then bring that up at the end. I had a list of things a page and a half long of things to change in Weeping before I ever got comments from betas or actually re-read the completed draft myself.

kairoru

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lvecrezias.tumblr.com
I can never decide whether to edit as I go or edit after I'm done xD. On my novel I'm working on now, The Pack, my friend is editing for me because she's like a wolf guru and is making sure I get my facts straight lol

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
I'd call those kind of edits all right, even on the go. It's just stuff like characterization/huge scene changes/plots/subplots...the big stuff. That's what you wait to change.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
This is only because it's easier to plot with index cards with a print out. Otherwise it would be when it was completed.

Listening to 80s pop/rock females on Last.fm while writing a Halloween scene in Sticks and Stones.

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
At Chapters now. I have I Am Number Four in my hands. Wondering if I should get anything else...

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
I really love doing my lengthy synopsis outlines. A good 3 pages of 'what the hell happens in this novel'.

I'm working on Lifelike at the moment. I promised my friend I'd send it to her once I'm done with the current scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.