Status
Not open for further replies.

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
Women in Horror, already? We just did that! I haven't updated my blog since then!

When I first read your post, I was like "WiHM isn't until Feb - we have months yet" and then I remembered this is January.

:e2smack:

Personally, I think WiHM is stupid. I don't buy my books or chose stories to read based on the equipment or lack thereof in any individual's skivvies and -- well, I covered my opinion of this sexist thing in my first blog post on my writer blog/website/whatsit and I'm not going to tap it all out again right now (I'm on my phone atm). Link is in my sig if you're interested, click on the Front Porch blog).

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, it's good to promote female horror writers - but only because I love a good strong female protagonist. The writer's gender matters a whole heck of a lot less, but it's still interesting to look at.

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
Female writer doesn't necessarily mean female protagonist.

I'm all for promoting the horror industry but don't believe this is the way to do it.

In other news, tonight's evening writing time at Dude's swim practice has been suspended due to failure to charge the ruddy laptop.

:e2smack:

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think the subject of Women in Horror is a very valid one. I think gender can be hugely important in writing. Now, perhaps there should be a Men in Horror month too, to balance it out. I'd be for that. :D

Women approach/interact/play with horror differently than men, I think. The experience of *being* a woman affects most things in life, including writing.

And I don't mean that we're all oppressed and stuff. Or that we're held back. I tend to stay away from that discussion because I don't really experience it that much (thankfully) hence can't speak to it very well.

But...just simple things. *Being* a woman is completely different than *being* a man. And since writing often reflects how we see and experience the world, I see gender playing a big role there. :Shrug:

ETA: Also, I don't buy books based on gender either. I don't know anyone who does. I don't think that's what WIHM is about, btw.

But I can certainly appreciate a female perspective and approach to things (like horror) and I don't think there's anything wrong with talking about it, promoting that etc.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Hm. I'm going to ignore all the anti-WiHM comments because I came to rant about something else, and I'm in a bad enough mood as it is.

Not that I was planning to rant about anything specific anyway. Just good ol' Writer's Block. Oh, I haven't stopped writing--haven't even slowed down that much--I just think it all sucks. For some reason, my plot bunnies and muse are both tag-teaming to make up for the lack of self-confidence. Which is...interesting, to say the least.

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I'd rather have a female protagonist than a female novelist, but neither matter if it's not a damn good book regardless. However, I think it's a neat way to promote - for other horror writers - a solid line of female writers, AKA people who are already interested in seeing more.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, it's good to promote female horror writers - but only because I love a good strong female protagonist. The writer's gender matters a whole heck of a lot less, but it's still interesting to look at.
That's interesting, Bri, because much of the WIHM stuff that I've seen (not here on AW, but online elsewhere) has been centered around female protags/antags in movies rather than directors. Which is kind of similar to what you're saying, I think. You are more interested in a certain kind of female *character* than necessarily a female writer. Right?

See, this seemed backward to me at first. This honoring the female *character* even if a man wrote/directed the story/film. But I suppose with movies, the actress plays a huge part in the delivery of the character, so I guess you HAVE to acknowledge her for that.

However in a story or book...I don't know. :idea: You'd be honoring a man for portraying a women well? Is that really honoring a woman in horror? Or honoring a man for a good job at creating one? (I'm not saying I disagree with this, btw, I'm just trying to sort it out)

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
When is Women in Terror Month? I'm waiting for that one to come around.

Whenever you come out in the daylight?

Oh, that'd be Women In Terror Day...

There's an old saying that goes something like "You can do whatever you want as long as you don't scare the women and horses."

I scare both in the daytime. I scare strong men at night. :)

Ted scares the wimmens by driving by in his van...

:)

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
For what it's worth:

One of the blogs I'm planning is focused on Mary Harron (female director who did both American Psycho and The Moth Diaries) and talking about the similarities and differences in her films, and how they relate to gender.

And another about the upcoming remake of Carrie because this is the first time that story has had a woman in the director's chair. (Although that might have to wait for later, because it's mostly speculation and I haven't read the book yet.)

As for female characters in film regardless of the gender of the filmmaker--one of the issues I've seen focused on is getting rid of the more harmful, sexist tropes that horror seems absolutely RIFE with--the Final Girl trope, the Sex Equals Death trope, etc.--and to that end, I might be blogging about some of my favorite movies with predominantly or exclusively female casts (there are more out there than you think).

The problem is the way women are portrayed, and the fact that the genre is generally seen as a boys-club, which it really, really isn't. The point of WiHM is to bring attention to all of these things.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That all sounds interesting, Rhoda.
I didn't realize American Psycho was directed by a woman. Interesting because it was written by a man. How does that work? How does her being a woman change it from page to screen, I wonder? I hope you'll be addressing that. :D

For what it's worth:

One of the blogs I'm planning is focused on Mary Harron (female director who did both American Psycho and The Moth Diaries) and talking about the similarities and differences in her films, and how they relate to gender.

And another about the upcoming remake of Carrie because this is the first time that story has had a woman in the director's chair. (Although that might have to wait for later, because it's mostly speculation and I haven't read the book yet.)

As for female characters in film regardless of the gender of the filmmaker--one of the issues I've seen focused on is getting rid of the more harmful, sexist tropes that horror seems absolutely RIFE with--the Final Girl trope, the Sex Equals Death trope, etc.--and to that end, I might be blogging about some of my favorite movies with predominantly or exclusively female casts (there are more out there than you think).

The problem is the way women are portrayed, and the fact that the genre is generally seen as a boys-club, which it really, really isn't. The point of WiHM is to bring attention to all of these things.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
That all sounds interesting, Rhoda.
I didn't realize American Psycho was directed by a woman. Interesting because it was written by a man. How does that work? How does her being a woman change it from page to screen, I wonder? I hope you'll be addressing that. :D

I am! And read it last month to prepare, actually. (I've had this particular blog post in mind for a while--just figured it would work nicely for the theme.) Now I just need to get my hands on Rachel Klein's novel as well, and I'll be all set. (The screenplay was written by a woman, too, although her name escapes me for the moment...)

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
One last comment re: WiHM and then I'm gone --

You've all heard/seen the mud slinging that sometimes goes on between working mothers and stay at home moms, single moms and married moms, yes?

I've heard people I like very much completely bash the hell out other women from the opposite "perspective," completely losing "perspective" on the bigger picture - that being a PARENT is a hard ass job with all kinds of stresses, worries, and woes. Absolutely, yes, some of those are unique to single parents or married parents, but you know what? Life's like that. I'm sure a single dad has some of the same exact struggles and concerns that I do as a married mom. For that matter, one married mom isn't going to have the same "perspective" as another, and likewise any other assimilation of gender and relationship status. Period. Being a parent is easier when more of us group together than divide ourselves off into a bunch of subgroups.

Likewise, achieving recognition in the creative industry. Why segregate the group? Why not celebrate the genre as a whole? International Horror Writers month or something. Promoting ourselves and our work together, celebrating together we can accomlish so much more than pointing out the differences between us.

My point is simple.

If the story is good, who wrote it won't matter.

Case in point - Mary Shelley.

Last edited:

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Just don't participate if it bugs you that much. The whole deal isn't to celebrate horror as a genre, period. We have tons of conventions for that. It's to celebrate and promote feminism in horror, which is a work in progress that only gets one month of recognition. I think it's important. If you disagree--fine. But I'd really rather you not be so dismissive of it.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
That's interesting, Bri, because much of the WIHM stuff that I've seen (not here on AW, but online elsewhere) has been centered around female protags/antags in movies rather than directors. Which is kind of similar to what you're saying, I think. You are more interested in a certain kind of female *character* than necessarily a female writer. Right?

I'm pretty sure the whole WIMH thing came out of the indie horror film culture, particularly from female actors and directors. What was cool last year, was that WIMH was picking up and sharing our more writerly side of stuff. Gotta include the writers. Right? *grin*

And, yeah. No one needs to participate if it ain't their thing. It's just intended to be a fun event, where people can get passionate about and share their geeky interests. Women in horror just happens to be one of mine. *shrug*

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I think WiHM is stupid.

It can lead to revelations when you read or view something with an eye to writing about gender roles in a genre. I am surprising myself...

See, this seemed backward to me at first. This honoring the female *character* even if a man wrote/directed the story/film.

I'm covering movies. I may stir up some things which people haven't noticed. :D

Actually, I'm already preparing a defense of my position should it be needed. *crazy prepared*

The problem is the way women are portrayed, and the fact that the genre is generally seen as a boys-club, which it really, really isn't.

Yup - and a fair number of classic works are from the hands of very accomplished women.

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Strong female characters - to heck with who writes them - make me giddy. I don't care who wrote or directed Jennifer's Body - I care that it was a smart horror film about a strong pair of ... shall we say interesting? women.

Same holds true for books. I don't care who is writing women, so long as someone is writing them, and showing that we can be strong, powerful people in control of what happens to us.

Whether people are writing about badly portrayed women in horror movies, women as central characters, or female writers being awesome, it's all the same to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.