Writer's Digest Bot Apocalypse Refugee Camp

Kim Fierce

Attack me with everything you have.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimnflowers.blogspot.com
I at least have a better idea of the concept LOL. I posted 2 different novel queries. I think my new idea of planning the book from beginning to end and starting the query letter when I start chapter one will make my new YA Historical Fiction go much smoother than my current YA Contemporary is.

Kim Fierce

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimnflowers.blogspot.com
Over the weekend I overhauled the first two chapters of my book. I combined scenes, deleted scenes, rearranged scenes. I slaughtered darlings and changed characters' names. It was awesome. I had copied and pasted the first two chapters into a new file, which allowed me more freedom and brutality to edit, since I could always go back to the old file if I changed my mind. I'm going to do the whole rest of the book this way now, copying and pasting a couple chapters at a time to the new file until it's done. Then I'm going to print it all out and go over it again. After that . . . my plan is to start querying agents!

I'm going to post the new first two sections of my books in SYW Young Adult.

Kim Fierce

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimnflowers.blogspot.com
Aw, I'm so alone. Got a rejection today. But it was for a query on "Cane and Able". I said it was about 4,000 words and that it won an Honorable Mention. They said they only print previously unpublished of 3,000 or less. Not that "honorable mention" = published, but at least they didn't say, "uh, this story sucks." I will find somewhere else for this story! I have started an extremely amateur "submissions records" file which consists of me listing s*** in Word. And then another list of WIPS and where I plan to submit them. I'm reworking one short story and writing a non-fiction, and have 2 in submission to The Windy City Times. eee!

allz28

No Stranger To Rejection
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, Kim.

I have a story that won an honorable mention that I'm submitting around. I make sure to say that it is unpublished in the cover letter, just so they know for sure.

I also started one of those Word files, but I've become complacent and it's way out of date. I mostly just rely on Duotrope now. If that website ever went away, I'd be lost.

Kim Fierce

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimnflowers.blogspot.com
Yeah allz I think I need to specify that next time!

And the worst part is, I'm not even a hundred per cent on my word count LOL. I know it's between 3 and 4,000 though and I wouldn't want to cut any of it to fit the mag.

I was using Duotrope, but the last time I went on there was to update every single thing I had as rejected or lost and now I've started over!

rhetoric by rosalie

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings fellow refuges! Rosebud here. I finally made it. Saw that some of you changed your screen names so I thought I'd do the same.

This place is huge. Still trying to work my way around. Thought I start out in a familiar place. :)

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
Hi!

I like to subscribe to only the boards that interest me and then use my control panel for navigation.

It's less intimidating. :)

Kim Fierce

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimnflowers.blogspot.com
Hi everybody! I will try to get on WD again. It still won't let me log in. I may give in and download moxilla or something but I was really hoping I wouldn't have to.

Kim Fierce

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimnflowers.blogspot.com
I have never known about any of those before nor that they were free. Maybe I will give it a shot. I've only ever used AOL or Internet Explorer in my lifetime.

So I have the interview from my best friend (the Other Kristin Stewart) for my parenting article, but first I've been working on what the editor described as a "tweak" but what is actually going to end up as a rewrite for another article on GLBT suicide. My previous version compared the negative coming-out experience and risk of suicide. This version is going to compare the degree of bullying in childhood and "bullying" or discrimination in adulthood with the risk. I am going to have quotes from 5 people about their experiences. Ah! The best part is I'm the one who came up with the idea to rewrite, and I think this version will be waaaaaay better than the last!

allz28

No Stranger To Rejection
Registered
Reaction score
That's cool about the rewrite.

And I think you'll find your computer is safer from viruses once you make to the switch to Firefox too.

Kim Fierce

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimnflowers.blogspot.com
Another article has been accepted by The Windy City Times!

Also, I subbed a short story to the WD Sci-Fi/Fantasy Summer Short Story contest, but now know this contest never happened. I submitted this story for publication, and part one is posted in Mainstream SYW if anyone wants to see! (I told Lydia that since the contest never happened, that means I must have won . . .or at least got in top rankings lol.)

rhetoric by rosalie

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Kim on getting your article accepted!:hooray: Not many WD forumite prowling this site anymore it seems. Just thought I'd let you know I'm still checking it out, and doing the happy dance for you...:snoopy::snoopy::snoopy::hooray::hooray::hooray::snoopy::snoopy::snoopy:

Kim Fierce

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimnflowers.blogspot.com
thank you rhetoric by rosalie!! Yeah I still haven't gotten around to downloading the browser or whatever you call it that would let me on WD. Although I do miss it over there, I've just been coming here more lately!

rhetoric by rosalie

Registered
Reaction score
It took me several attempts to get back on, but I just kept entering my email address. I think I had to go back to my little book of passwords. I do remember that it wasn't as simple as they said it would be. You can always resubscribe. You loose all you previous entries though. I didn't have to download any browser or whatever you're referring to. Keep at it. We miss you over at WD. :)