Canadian soldier shot at war memorial in Ottawa and shots fired in Parliament Hill

Faye-M

Registered
Reaction score
Here's a link to a press conference that shows security camera footage of what happened as the shooter approached Parliament Hill and entered the Centre Block. It's pretty scary and chilling.

IMO, security handled the situation well. I don't know much (anything) about protocol but there were some brave individuals looking after us that morning.

Whoa...

I agree, it seemed like they were on top of the situation seconds after it started. I think the end result speaks for itself - Canada won.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
I love Canada and Canadians. No bluster, no braggage, no whining, no hijacking the tragedy for political gain; just the facts. Talk about class--s6

I second this. I've been making trips to Canada, and I'm pretty sold on it just all around.

Except the cold part. It gets way too cold. :(

Faye-M

Registered
Reaction score
I love Canada and Canadians. No bluster, no braggage, no whining, no hijacking the tragedy for political gain; just the facts. Talk about class--s6

That comment made me feel good. Thank you. :)

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I agree.

In my experience, there is always a security presence on the grounds of Parliament Hill. Not at the War Memorial, however. With shots fired and a soldier down, security would have been distracted by their need to respond to that crisis.

It's like Monty Python's Spanish Inquisition skit. "No one expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise, fear and surprise." No one expected this on a sunny Wednesday morning in late October. :(
And ISIS may be terrorists, but let's be thankful that they are crap thinkers and planners. They shot one man at the War Memorial midweek, in October, and now the security forces are on the alert. In a couple of weeks it will be Remembrance Day, when crowds gather at the Memorial for the services. It would have been a crowd totally unprepared for violence, out in the open. Sitting ducks. Now, ISIS has shown it's hand, there's plenty of time to make preparations, set up defences, etc.

Xelebes and other Canadian members, my sympathies.

A questioning observation: my impression is that the Canadian press isn't quite as obsessed with the shooter as the American would be, but I freely admit that could be filtered by the internationality of the event. But what I'm seeing down here hasn't talked nearly as much about the shooter as I would have heard had this happened in the US. By now, we'd know where he was from, what high school he went to, and everything about the weapon, too. Is that happening domestically and it's not getting out, or what? Just curious, more than anything else.

Here on the West Coast there's been very little info on the shooter. That's pretty much what they're saying about him: 'the shooter'. If that's the immortality he wanted, well, he got it. On the other hand, there's been stuff about Corporal Cirrillo, Kevin Vickers and the House of Common Security Constable who was wounded - Samearn Son. We have our priorities, publicizing murderers is lower on the list.

Last edited:

Faye-M

Registered
Reaction score
Here on the West Coast there's been very little info on the shooter. That's pretty much what they're saying about him: 'the shooter'. If that's the immortality he wanted, well, he got it. On the other hand, there's been stuff about Corporal Cirrillo, Kevin Vickers and the House of Common Security Constable who was wounded - Samearn Son. We have our priorities, publicizing murderers is lower on the list.

That's another great story, the guy who was shot in the leg - he grabbed the gun as soon as he saw it and pushed it down, which is how he got the injury. Talk about brave!

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
For any non-Canadians who aren't getting much Canadian news, a brief round-up: The shooter was a homeless guy, with a prior criminal record in Quebec and B.C.. He apparently had drug issues and mental health problems. He had recently spoken to his mother, for the first time in five years. She made a tearful statement saying that she was crying for his victims, not for him.
His criminal record in B.C. included trying to rob a McDonald's with a pointed stick, and on several occasions he is said to have stated that he wanted to be arrested so that he could get help with his drug problems. So this was maybe more of a desperate escalation than a terrorist attack?
He was apparently a devout Muslim, in that various people who remembered him from homeless shelters remembered him as always finding a corner to spread something for a prayer mat at the appointed times for prayer.
On the other hand, the imam of a local mosque said that he was asked to leave when he disagreed with their policies: the mosque was in favour of outreach to other faiths and being part of the community. He, apparently, felt this was weak and inappropriate, and told them to shape up, and was invited to leave.
And, barring further news, that appears to be it.

Faye-M

Registered
Reaction score
For any non-Canadians who aren't getting much Canadian news, a brief round-up: The shooter was a homeless guy, with a prior criminal record in Quebec and B.C.. He apparently had drug issues and mental health problems. He had recently spoken to his mother, for the first time in five years. She made a tearful statement saying that she was crying for his victims, not for him.
His criminal record in B.C. included trying to rob a McDonald's with a pointed stick, and on several occasions he is said to have stated that he wanted to be arrested so that he could get help with his drug problems. So this was maybe more of a desperate escalation than a terrorist attack?
He was apparently a devout Muslim, in that various people who remembered him from homeless shelters remembered him as always finding a corner to spread something for a prayer mat at the appointed times for prayer.
On the other hand, the imam of a local mosque said that he was asked to leave when he disagreed with their policies: the mosque was in favour of outreach to other faiths and being part of the community. He, apparently, felt this was weak and inappropriate, and told them to shape up, and was invited to leave.
And, barring further news, that appears to be it.

Also, he tried to get a Libyan passport and was denied, was waiting on a Canadian passport that had been delayed due to his criminal past, and his mom said he wanted to go to Syria. So... there's that.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score

Point being that it's pretty hard to regard him as an "ISIS terrorist", per your preceding post. He was a nutcase looking for an excuse, and found it in the veneer of an Islamist jihadist. The rest of your previous post is, as near as I can tell, spot on target, maybe excepting the "devout Muslim" interpretation. He was as "devout Muslim" as Ku Klux Klan fanatics are "devout Christians", which they also claim to be. He may have gone through the motions, but his belief system, as rudimentary and fractured as it probably was, revolved around trying to justify his own criminal behavior.

If it even dipped that far into the universe of rationality.

caw

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Also, he tried to get a Libyan passport and was denied, was waiting on a Canadian passport that had been delayed due to his criminal past, and his mom said he wanted to go to Syria. So... there's that.

His mom said he wanted to go to Saudi Arabia. It was the RCMP who made the extra leap and said that he wanted to go to Syria.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score