Rethuglicans, Teabaggers, and Fundies, oh MY!

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
"Christian conservative" has become an identifier for a certain segment of the religiously inspired political right, mostly evangelicals. It's become a term in common usage.

Most don't think of it as an identifier for Christians in general, or even for conservative people who are also Christian.

I don't think it's particularly pejorative, the way "fundie" is.

I sometimes use the term Biblical Literalists, but that usually ends up being used mostly in questions involving science.
Clearly "fundie" is far more pejorative, and "Christian" might get some slack, but say the word "conservative" to a room full of progressives and you can't convince me they're not thinking of Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson or Jimmy Swaggart. As a conservative, even I sometimes think of "conservative" that way. Sometimes I wish I knew what happened to Barry Goldwater conservatism.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Clearly "fundie" is far more pejorative, and "Christian" might get some slack, but say the word "conservative" to a room full of progressives and you can't convince me they're not thinking of Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson or Jimmy Swaggart.

Makes me think of Cameron, Osborne and Thatcher. If I'm feeling generous, I might remember Ken Clarke.

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In one of my college courses, I was taught that Cow¹ is not Cow². If we just remember that much, we'll do well.

MrZiggles

Registered
Reaction score
I supposed you would bounce Bill Maher--he uses it all the time.

I don't understand what's wrong with using the word "tea bagger."

People who are in the tea party deserve derision.

Bill Maher gets off on viciously attacking people. So if the mods have any integrity, he would be banned.

They deserve derision? Why? Because they conducted a legit and somewhat effective protest movement without it being dominated by criminals, as the Occupy movement was?

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Bill Maher gets off on viciously attacking people. So if the mods have any integrity, he would be banned.

They deserve derision? Why? Because they conducted a legit and somewhat effective protest movement without it being dominated by criminals, as the Occupy movement was?
---

I don't know if the Occupy movement was dominated by criminals. Certainly, it had its share of yahoos, slackers, and whack-jobs, but then again, the Tea Party did and still has those elements in it. If you have any percentages, I'd like to see them.

Personally speaking, I had no love for the Occupy people mainly because some of them came across as whiny, self-absorbed 'gimme' types. I'm not in the 1% category, but I'm not the kind to bitch about what I ain't got and how Wall Street is taking what I rightfully deserve as some people said. As the saying goes, you do for you and I'll do for me.

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much for posting this.

It's a shame when such measures are used to invalidate different viewpoints.

arduinna

Registered
Reaction score
hmmm.... there seems to be a very fine line here between freedom of expression (choice of words) and not using words facetiously to mock (and possibly insult) people. what if we use whatever words we want as long as we are not targeting those words at an individual? This is a politics forum after all...

arduinna

Registered
Reaction score

Sorry, but as a Bill Maher fan I have to say, he doesn't "viciously" attack people. He mocks everyone, all the time. democrat, republican, christian, new age, whatever, and he's hilarious. He's a comedian for goodness sake, that's what they DO!

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
hmmm.... there seems to be a very fine line here between freedom of expression (choice of words) and not using words facetiously to mock (and possibly insult) people. what if we use whatever words we want as long as we are not targeting those words at an individual? This is a politics forum after all...
It's a privately-hosted forum on a privately owned website, on a privately owned server. You're not actually entitled to "freedom of expression" here.

You cannot use terminology that ridicules entire classes of people -- and words like "fundie" do exactly that -- without implicitly mocking people who are fellow community members here.

If you choose to go right ahead doing so, you simply won't be posting here for very much longer.

arduinna

Registered
Reaction score
It's a privately-hosted forum on a privately owned website, on a privately owned server. You're not actually entitled to "freedom of expression" here.

You cannot use terminology that ridicules entire classes of people -- and words like "fundie" do exactly that -- without implicitly mocking people who are fellow community members here.

If you choose to go right ahead doing so, you simply won't be posting here for very much longer.

Ouch! ok, ok, I get it! I don't generally use such words myself, but was just thinking aloud. Sorry!

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Heh. It's okay - you're new here, so don't remember those bad, bad years of the ideology wars.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
By Grabthar's Hammer, by the sons of Warvan, they shall be avenged!

Thor says if Grabthar doesn't give his hammer back... something bad will happen, I guess. (He starts talking about Einstein following Rosen's rainbow over a bridge, and then I'm lost.)

Put the hammer down, Grabthar. Put the hammer down, now.

This is why we can't have nice things.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
We're jumping galaxies so fast my left eye is twitching. The right one gave up and went home with Grabthar to play a little GTA V.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Thor says if Grabthar doesn't give his hammer back... something bad will happen, I guess. (He starts talking about Einstein following Rosen's rainbow over a bridge, and then I'm lost.)

Put the hammer down, Grabthar. Put the hammer down, now.

This is why we can't have nice things.

It's Grabthar's now. Grabthar is worthy. Thor can get his own hammer. Well, another his own.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that it was Captain Benjamin Briggs that took the hammer of Thor along with settings from countless other video games.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I'm always intrigued when I see this post jump back to life.

Kudos to Rob for the Galaxy Quest reference!