Baltimore Ravens Release Ray Rice

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Aside from the douchenozzle punching his fiancee and the NFL treating her as thought she was guilty party.

It annoys me when I hear people say, or read about them bitching, Ray Rice cannot be permanently suspended from the NFL because it would be denying him his place in the NFL or his right to earn a living in the NFL.

It's not a right, it's an opportunity.

Actually, it may very well be a right, given what may lie within the contract obligations.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, it may very well be a right, given what may lie within the contract obligations.

I can't imagine a contract that says "under no circumstances can this player be released and must be allowed to play in the NFL until he decides to retire".

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
I can't imagine a contract that says "under no circumstances can this player be released and must be allowed to play in the NFL until he decides to retire".

No, but the contract might have very specific conditions under which the player can be released which don't necessarily include criminal charges.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with Rice getting dumped by his team at all. I wouldn't have a problem if the NFL decided to permanently ban him.

I'm not sure what the source of your annoyance is, Reg.

That said, there are legal issues here, ones that do indeed matter. The t's have to be properly crossed and the i's have to be properly dotted. If the NFL made any errors in how it handled Rice, the issue is fair game imo.

But even if his suspension is cut short, this doesn't mean another team will sign him.

Aside from the douchenozzle punching his fiancee and the NFL treating her as thought she was guilty party.

It annoys me when I hear people say, or read about them bitching, Ray Rice cannot be permanently suspended from the NFL because it would be denying him his place in the NFL or his right to earn a living in the NFL.

It's not a right, it's an opportunity.

An opportunity, as robeiae correctly points out, Ray Rice still has.

Rice was not prosecuted or convicted of assaulting his fiancée. Rice was suspended by Roger Goodell for two games. Following TMZ releasing the video inside the elevator of the assault Rice was then indefinitely suspended by Goodell and his contract terminated and he was released by the Ravens.

Rice's appeal hinges on his claim the commissioner suspended him twice for the same offense. While Rice is a detestable slug he still has the right to due process and legal experts says he has a good chance to win his appeal.

So and what? That doesn't mean any team has to sign him. Who would want the wave of negative publicity and the resultant media firestorm that would follow? Who wants ESPN and all the other media camped outside the team's offices filming and shoving mics under the noses of executives, coaches and players?

There are teams in need of a running back, but Rice doesn't just bring baggage with him. He's got an entire luggage store.

Someone may be willing to take on Rice's paltry 3.1 yards per carry and his diminishing skills, but I'd bet it won't be until next season when Rice may be less toxic to team chemistry than he is now and further removed from the headlines.

Rice could very well return to the NFL but it would be a surprise if it wasn't until next year when he'll be just another veteran trying to latch on to some team's roster (and shame and failure on whatever team that is).

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

No, but the contract might have very specific conditions under which the player can be released which don't necessarily include criminal charges.

I'm saying I can't believe it is in an NFL contract that a team has to keep any player.

Some players have a right to refuse a trade but I've never heard of a contract stipulation guaranteeing the player's job.

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
I know this isn't really relevant, but I feel sorry for Janay (for all that has happened and because their lives are now really shaken up once again) and I also wonder what they will live on.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I know this isn't really relevant, but I feel sorry for Janay (for all that has happened and because their lives are now really shaken up once again) and I also wonder what they will live on.

Does she have a job?

As to who'd want him - Michael Vick, still an NFL player.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I'm saying I can't believe it is in an NFL contract that a team has to keep any player.

Some players have a right to refuse a trade but I've never heard of a contract stipulation guaranteeing the player's job.

The right be a bit more convoluted than that. The right may be guaranteeing that he has access to something for a set period of time (most likely less than a year) which he can then argue has been denied to him.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Maybe so. But what Rice did is strike someone else. The nature of the relationship matters, no doubt, but fundamentally it is assault, right?

But I know most NFL contracts have those "morals" clauses, so I'm sure the Ravens were allowed to dump Rice. And really, that's the best angle: teams need to step up and dump the players who do wrong and other teams need to not sign such players.

I'd put what he did afterward as "conduct unbecoming" as an aggravating factor. I'm not saying it's worse, I'm saying it makes the assault worse.