#GamerGate

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
Couldn't find a thread on this, so: http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...look-at-the-controversy-sweeping-video-games/

#GamerGate

It all started with a blog post.
Jilted ex-boyfriend Eron Gjoni wrote a long treatise on the alleged infidelity of his ex-girlfriend, video game developer Zoe Quinn. Members of the video game industry and press were implicated.
This led to an initial outcry over corruption in the video game press. Sex for positive coverage was the spark that fueled what has now become a huge gamer backlash against the video game press under the hashtag #GamerGate. While the initial concerns were quickly proven to be all smoke and no fire, the revelations led to further questions by many gamers, and so the #GamerGate movement was born.

Any thoughts?

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I saw a video of this a couple weeks back. It was a half-hour whinefest that I just couldn't give a damn about. Maybe this got more complicated since then but at the time, it was simple. Someone wanted to get back at their ex who slept on them by posting in some lame manifesto or whatever that listed the exploits. Unsubstantiated would be something close to what the claims skirted so I never bothered with it.

emax100

Banned
Reaction score
This is the perfect time for that Dark Knight Joker "And Here We Go" Gif, since I have a feeling this is gonna get intense, to put it mildly, if we have any devoted, enthusiastic gamers on here.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't been touching GamerGate with a 10 foot touching pole, because the whole thing is just...really ugly.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Gotta admit, I read that article and I still don't understand the situation or what's going on.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I guess this is our indication that video games have hit the mainstream? They now officially have enough drama that people who don't play games are supposed to care who's fucking whom?
(I play games, but I don't care, gamers or not)

Last edited:

Dommo

On Mac's double secret probation.
Registered
Reaction score
I think there's some interesting stuff, if only because it really points to the level of dysfunctionality within the whole video game journalism scene. Right now, I'd say most video game journalism has less in common with journalism, and more in common with being PR for the major game publishers.

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
The Zoe Quinn issue as I understand it is merely the tip of the iceberg. It's moved on to some reasonable arguments about disclosing possible conflicts of interest into a huge flamewar between feminists who comment on gaming culture and a population of gamers who don't like feminists commenting on some issues in gaming culture. Including some apparently faked death threats?

It's sort of hard to find the truth under all the invective-hurling. I was kind of hoping the very intelligent folks here at AW could help me figure it out.

Part of it is very similar to the gender discussions/debates/arguments/flamewars that the spec fic and scpetic communities had in the last few years.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Last edited:

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
The actual timeline of events doesn't support Quinn's conclusions from those screencaps. Most notably, it shows that the #NotYourShield tag predates any mention in the chat.

After all, Quinn's screencaps in context tell a completely different story. Long story short, she portrayed the more extreme people as being representative of the group as a whole while in reality those people were being condemned or ignored by others, and by taking chunks of posts out of context made it look like others were agreeing with those people.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
If I didn't know anything about an issue that both sides were equally strident and passionate about, I'd assume the side issuing rape threats were the wrong ones.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If I didn't know anything about an issue that both sides were equally strident and passionate about, I'd assume the side issuing rape threats were the wrong ones.

I'm still pacing myself, but I'm just going to slip a quiet +1 in here.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com

I'm still pacing myself, but I'm just going to slip a quiet +1 in here.

+2 because, even if they're not the wrong ones...they're the wrong ones.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score

That assumption would require two further assumptions, though:

a.) That everyone on one side is making threats, or that those who are making threats automatically negate the rationally-expressed opinions of many people.
b.) That only people on one side have displayed rotten behaviour.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That assumption would require two further assumptions, though:

a.) That everyone on one side is making threats, or that those who are making threats automatically negate the rationally-expressed opinions of many people.
b.) That only people on one side have displayed rotten behaviour.

No it wouldn't. It would just mean that the side issuing rape threats is not the right side unless and until those threats are repudiated. Because rape threats.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How about this. She isn't interested in him anymore, time for him to pull up his big boy pants, shut up, grow up, and MOVE ON.

If a woman were to do this she'd be called a crazy, stalking, psycho bitch and it wouldn't be any wonder why he left.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
That's a good way to win, then. Pretend you're on the opposite "side" and make a rape threat.

From what I can glean, there are a lot of "sides" involved in all of this. Few seem to be giving a good accounting of themselves.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I hate #GamerGate, but what's really bothering me -- looking at this thread -- is that Zoe Quinn is a video game developer. A talented one. And yet look how often she's just "an ex". :(

This was a petty, vengeful act by a talented game developer's ex-boyfriend. And god, I hate how much of the focus on on the jilted ex instead of the lady in the centre of all of this.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
No it wouldn't. It would just mean that the side issuing rape threats is not the right side unless and until those threats are repudiated. Because rape threats.

This almost exactly mirrors a claim made about moderate muslims in terrorism discussions.

And it yields the same response: You don't know that they haven't.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This almost exactly mirrors a claim made about moderate muslims in terrorism discussions.

And it yields the same response: You don't know that they haven't.

Well - you do, because moderate muslims do repudiate terrorist actions. Including terrorist actions carried out by faux-Islamic islamicists.

so - yes. That's my point.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Well - you do, because moderate muslims do repudiate terrorist actions. Including terrorist actions carried out by faux-Islamic islamicists.
Sorry, but no.

The problem is, such repudiation is held to varying standards. Some say they do it--repudiate terrorist actions--enough, some say they don't even come close. What's the standard here?

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score

so - yes. That's my point.

What you have not heard may or may not exist. That was my point. People still make that accusation of moderate muslims. So *you* may know in that instance.

In this case? Maybe they have, but they haven't made you a witness to it. You don't know. And, okay, neither do I.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, but no.

The problem is, such repudiation is held to varying standards. Some say they do it--repudiate terrorist actions--enough, some say they don't even come close. What's the standard here?

It's not up to gamers in general to repudiate the rape threats. It's the little shits involved in GamerGate that need to repudiate it.