#GamerGate

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
This whole situation along with the volatile reactions towards any kind of conversation about social issues I have seen on many gaming forums (or comments on gaming sites) are a big reason I don't enjoy visiting or participating in (online) game communities.

Whenever I see a person post a thread (or game review or news article) that dares to critically think about anything dealing with social issues that concern feminists, POC, LGBTQA, etc, I wince and end up leaving or avoiding the thread, because I know (based on past gaming community experience) that the person will be flamed or bashed, and/or any interesting conversations will usually devolve into a cesspit of trolling and insulting/flaming with a big taste of ignorant/sexist/racist/homophobic/misogynistic flavours. :(

Nowadays, if a reviewer even has the faintest scent of trying to insert some social commentary, then the commenters will jump on that reviewer for "jumping on the feminist/social justice bandwagon". Like being for social justice or being aware of social issues is a bad new trend, lol! Seriously, I've seen this happen more than once recently. I would rather be a so-called "justice warrior" or, le gasp!, a "feminist" than be involved with such a hostile community as well as the (trolling aspects of) gamersgate. Belch!

Regarding this GG situation, I'm more concerned about the real-life human beings who are receiving death threats. Humans being threatened > gaming corruption.

Regarding journalism or corruption or whatever, I still don't really understand the issue. I'm a gamer; I just...play. I would look at user reviews, youtube gameplay videos, indie or niche websites, and/or try out demos, etc, and make up my own mind about what games I would like to play.

I see more reasonable and calm conversations and debates dealing with social issues from tv/movie sites such as the AV. Club (which deals with TV/Movies/Books/Music and sometimes Games), and from the fabulous Tom & Lorenzo blog (formerly known as "Project Rungay"), which offers fashion commentary with an occasional commentary on TV shows.

Last edited:

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Regarding journalism or corruption or whatever, I still don't really understand the issue. I'm a gamer; I just...play. I would look at user reviews, youtube gameplay videos, indie or niche websites, and/or try out demos, etc, and make up my own mind about what games I would like to play.

Frankly, that's what I think those that are siding with Gamergate want too. They don't want serious criticism although game developers and the gamers have been crying for it.

The problem is that serious criticism is what makes the games more expansive. Serious criticism is what makes the games more realistic. Serious criticism is what makes the games more interactive. Serious criticism is what makes the games more immersive. In that end, serious criticism is more for the game developers and the ambitious auteurs. And the stuff that deals with discrimination is problematic for developers because there is often very personal decisions that they are making that precipitate the discrimination, resulting in them wanting to push away that serious criticism. And pushing away can mean drawing the attention of the fans towards the work and circling the wagons.

The most savage of the attacks (the doxxing, the death threats) are likely coming from within the industry (gaming or more broadly, high tech) and are most certainly not random but professional internet trolls. The idea that we can dismiss that these attacks are being done by random internet trolls is a greater con than any that the providers of social criticism of games can be accused of.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
And now someone has doxxed Felicia Day on the article where she spoke about how GG affected her.

I just...can't.

Can you dox someone who isn't commenting anonymously? Isn't doxing when you find out who someone really is and expose them?

Not that I'm discounting the horror of harassing, threatening, and stalking people (and why does it seem to be disproportionately happening to the women who speak out on the issue if GG has nothing to do with sexism and misogyny in gaming) who express anti-GG sentiments publicly and openly either.

Last edited:

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
In this context, doxxing someone is referring publishng her address and contact information publically.

But yes, Doxxing also refers to outing an anonymous person with their real name.

Bloo

Roofied by Rylan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emergencyroomproductions.net
I've heard about this but hadn't really looked into it until I saw the stuff about Felcia Day (who I love) and read Chris Kluwe's comments, which were awesome.

I'm still trying to figure out all of this and wrap my head around it, but it just...wow is all I can say.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Can you dox someone who isn't commenting anonymously? Isn't doxing when you find out who someone really is and expose them?

Not that I'm discounting the horror of harassing, threatening, and stalking people (and why does it seem to be disproportionately happening to the women who speak out on the issue if GG has nothing to do with sexism and misogyny in gaming) who express anti-GG sentiments publicly and openly either.
Disproportionately?I thought this was happening EXCLUSIVELY to women. Has a man yet been doxxed in relation to GamerGate? If so, I obviously haven't heard.

I wonder why no one making threats hasn't been doxxed or otherwise identified (as in an arrest record).

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Disproportionately?I thought this was happening EXCLUSIVELY to women. Has a man yet been doxxed in relation to GamerGate? If so, I obviously haven't heard.

I wonder why no one making threats hasn't been doxxed or otherwise identified (as in an arrest record).

I haven't heard either, though people keep claiming that it's happening on the other side too (presumably to male gamergaters). I haven't seen a concrete example or name given, however. But I know that as soon as I say it's only happening to women, someone will come up with a counter example and use that to discredit the whole notion that GG is about sexism.

Scalzi, Hines, Wendig and some of the other male authors who have been poking at GG certainly don't seem to be getting doxxed or stalked so far.

And that's something I've wondered about too. Evidently, it's child's play to find out who someone is on the web, even when they adopt a pseudonym, spoof their ip address, and otherwise take pains to hide their identity. There's nearly always someone who knows who a person "really" is. So indeed, why haven't they been able to "out" any of these harassers?

Last edited:

Bloo

Roofied by Rylan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emergencyroomproductions.net
Chris Kluwe flat out challenged them to doxx him, he even said it wouldn't be that hard and they haven't done it yet.

But then, Kluwe is a former NFL player so there might be a shred of fear on their part

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Nah, definitely fear. He has a penis, so odds are it's bigger than theirs.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
An opinion piece from New York Times videogames critic and freelance writer Chris Suellentrop:

Can Video Games Survive? The Disheartening GamerGate Campaign

As they became more popular, more profitable and, most important, more powerful as a means of creative expression, video games started to feel to me like the Internet had in 1999: a technology on the verge of washing over our culture and reshaping it wholesale. Millions of people of all ages were playing games. These were boom times, and thanks not just to the mega-studios that produce things like the Call of Duty series, but to countless small, independent developers as well. Game design began to be taught in art schools alongside theater and sculpture. The interactive age had arrived, and video games were its most promising entertainment.

And then came GamerGate. Over the past few weeks, as this inchoate but effective online movement has gathered momentum, I’ve begun to wonder if I’ve made a horrible mistake.

“The abuse is not the hard part for me,” Leigh Alexander, who wrote the column that led Intel to pull its advertising from Gamasutra, said to me in an email. She’s more discouraged by her peers at websites that took two months to denounce GamerGate. Others have yet to make a statement at all. Some of the participants in the community of intelligent writers and designers who think and talk about video games in print and online, on websites and social media networks and podcasts, are being cowed into silence.

In particular, if the large companies that make video games remain quiet, they risk allowing GamerGate to win the debate over whether diversity — of people, of ideas, of games themselves — has a place in their culture.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
In particular, if the large companies that make video games remain quiet, they risk allowing GamerGate to win the debate over whether diversity — of people, of ideas, of games themselves — has a place in their culture.

The problem is that the large video game companies largely represent the status quo. By popular demand, they've begun to change and become more inclusive, little by little. But #GamerGate promises to reverse that trend.

The large video game companies are also where the real corruption is in gaming journalism, and #GamerGate has been all too happy to ignore them and focus on indie titles that have little-to-no influence on gaming as a whole.

The large gaming companies risk nothing by allowing #GamerGate to win. They will continue to appeal to their old core base of fans. By fighting #GamerGate, they take a risk of alienating hardcore #GamerGate gamers, but open themselves to much wider new markets, and the possibility of massive mainstream growth.

Last edited:

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
For those who care about actual ethical issues in gaming, here is a list of actual ethical issues in gaming.

I guess I'm confused by this. Is this suggesting that the mistreatment of women in an industry isn't a "real" ethical concern? Or something else? I feel like I'm not connecting some dots here. (Just asking, not poking a bear, I promise.)

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I guess I'm confused by this. Is this suggesting that the mistreatment of women in an industry isn't a "real" ethical concern? Or something else? I feel like I'm not connecting some dots here. (Just asking, not poking a bear, I promise.)

I read that blog post as a sarcastic commentary that the so-called "ethics" which the #Gamergaters are using as an excuse for rape and death threats and harassment of women affiliated with gaming are not anything to do with the actual ethical dilemmas in the game industry.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
CrastersBabies--From the article:

Women in games are routinely abused, bullied and harassed while their professional community, and the industry’s largest companies, tend to remain silent. Interrogating this culture or attempting to advance this conversation can result in censure or punishment.

The article is not "suggesting that the mistreatment of women in an industry isn't a "real" ethical concern" It's stating that that *is* an ethical concern, along with all the other ethical concerns listed.

None of which ethical issues Gamergate is paying any attention to. The only thing they're doing is harrassing women and, to a lesser extent, some of the men standing up for women.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Gotcha, I missed that. I'm glad I asked! Thanks for clarifying. :D

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score