Ebola case in Dallas.

dfwtinman

Cubic Zirconia in the rough
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is breaking news. According to the telelvision, the CDC will be holding a press conference around 5:30 p.m. (EST) to announce the first case of Ebola in the US (apart from those coming via medical evacuation).

The patient traveled from Liberia to Dallas by plane, but early report is he was asymptomatic then. Went to hospital with high fever. He is at Texas Health Presybyterian Hospital in Dallas. On a side note, my wife and I were at this hospital for tests (non-related) yesterday.

Here is an early article from 8 hours ago before the CDC confirmed to the press the positive test.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/09/29/dallas-hospital-isolates-possible-ebola-patient/16461507/

Last edited:

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Lock your doors and windows, it's time to pull a Madagascar.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm guessing OP meant to hit the purple sad-face.

I've done that.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If confirmed it would be the first case to enter the US under his own power. Things really kick of when you find the first person-to-person infection on US soil.

dfwtinman

Cubic Zirconia in the rough
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I having been watching the CDC press conference. The director of the cdc said this was the first person diagnosed with Ebola in the US and the first person diagnosed with this strain outside Africa.

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
I haven't been keeping up on the news about this disease -- are they saying how many people could have it and not be symptomatic? Also, how it is spread, etc.?

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
In this case, it seems the CDC has it under hand. But with numbers of infected climbing in West Africa, it's only a matter of time before this travels outside of that region. I guess my big concern would be, what happens when this pops up in another underdeveloped country that doesn't have the medical resources we have?

Probably projecting too much.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't been keeping up on the news about this disease -- are they saying how many people could have it and not be symptomatic?
You mean inside the USA, or anywhere outside of Africa? No, they're not saying. Apparently they don't want to speculate on that.

I heard the news conference, or most of it. I recall the last reporter asking "is the patient a US citizen?" and the official answering with a statement already given: "The patient came to here to visit relatives living in the US."

That looks like a "hole" in that press conference where things could have been said, but weren't.

Here's a Twitter feed of the local afternoon talk radio guy who apparently got some back-channel info from a CDC employee communicating on promise of anonymity - the radio guy says he got info BEFORE the press conference that came out in the conference, so he says it looks trustable, but as with all things like this, take with one or more grains of salt (crude copy-paste, read in reverse order):
https://twitter.com/EWErickson/
Erick Erickson @EWErickson · 1h 1 hour ago

Patient arrived on 20th, to hospital on 26th, sent home. Returned days later. (First tweet about hospital was my error, not source)
0 replies

Individual was sent home from hospital and went back days later.
0 replies

Source says patient traveled through Belgium on the way back to the US.
0 replies

Dallas patient was transported in distress via ambulance.
0 replies

Patient was out of hospital for eight days.
0 replies

Just talked to source with info on the Dallas patient. Had been to Liberia for a funeral. Traveled via Europe.
Also, how it is spread, etc.?
As I recall, they said it's not airborne, but all the details on that (or at least what they said about it) should be in the news stories.

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Ebola isn't airborne. It's spread via close contact with bodily fluids. Underdeveloped areas will allow the disease to spread more quickly, due to lack of sanitation.

The patient zero case in Africa, assuming they've traced it correctly, involved a child, an elderly woman, and a funeral situation, which also made for an easier transmission scenario.

Assuming early quarantine, and no more symptomatic cases from the plane he was on, or the people he's been in close contact with, it's more containable than the original outbreak.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
The patient zero case in Africa, assuming they've traced it correctly, involved a child, an elderly woman, and a funeral situation

ROSWELL, GA (CBS46) - CBS46 News has confirmed the Centers for Disease Control has issued guidelines to U.S. funeral homes on how to handle the remains of Ebola patients. If the outbreak of the potentially deadly virus is in West Africa, why are funeral homes in America being given guidelines?

The three-page list of recommendations include instructing funeral workers to wear protective equipment when dealing with the remains since Ebola can be transmitted in postmortem care. It also instructs to avoid autopsies and embalming.

http://www.cbs46.com/story/26657838/cdc-issues-ebola-guidelines-for-us-funeral-homes

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, how comforting. Our funeral homes have a heads-up.

I suppose it's something to be expected, since we're only a airplane ticket away from most anywhere. On the other hand, will there be closer monitoring of itineraries and perhaps some kind of quarantine if someone else returns from these countries after attending a funeral or working with the ill? Sure hope so.

emax100

Banned
Reaction score
If it does mutate so it can survive in an airborne environment and survive in water droplets the way the common cold does, then there is no point in trying to figure out who is responsible or who to blame because we are all royally screwed as much as humans can be no matter what we try to do, other than finding a workable vaccine before that happens. At the moment, only very close contact can enable it to spread so there is no need to get freaked out in any way just yet.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Ebola is nothing like the common cold in form, transmission or any other criteria that matters. No matter what you have seen in the movies, all viruses are not created equally, and one does not suddenly begin to mimic the traits of the other when unrelated.

Even with similar beginning symptoms (Seriously -- look up every disease that has similar symptoms to the cold virus; you'll be reading all night.) the genetics of the virus are completely different.

emax100

Banned
Reaction score
Ebola is nothing like the common cold in form, transmission or any other criteria that matters. No matter what you have seen in the movies, all viruses are not created equally, and one does not suddenly begin to mimic the traits of the other when unrelated.

Even with similar beginning symptoms (Seriously -- look up every disease that has similar symptoms to the cold virus; you'll be reading all night.) the genetics of the virus are completely different.
True that is why I was getting at the idea of it not turning into the common cold but undergoing mutations so that it has the same ability to survive in an airborne environment. Right now it cannot; if it could, we would be seeing large numbers of infections and deaths in all inhabited continents by now. And so I was not talking about it becoming the common cold but gaining one of the cold's characteristics - the ability to survive in such environments as water droplets or air pockets.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
What the hell happened at that hospital in Dallas?

It's a major city; a patient came in with, presumably, among other things, a fever of unknown origin.

I'm also presuming no one asked 'have you travelled abroad recently?'

If they did, and he answered and they still sent him home, they're so dumb I can't begin to formulate a comment.

If they didn't, what the hell?

It's not as if this is some hidden, just-noticed issue. The WHO and the CDC issued instructions and warnings and etc., months ago. There shouldn't be a damn hospital, and certainly not a hospital in any major metropolitan area, that has someone come in with unexplained symptomology that looks anything like Ebola symptoms, that has people don't think to ask if the person has travelled recently.

Even before this, that'd be a common question, but seriously, no one asked him? They just said, 'huh, whatevs, go home?' It's kind of unbelievable in the level of incompetence (presuming he came in with symptoms that look like Ebola ones, which are generic, and really no one asked).

I don't think it'll lead to some unrestrained outbreak, but nor do I think it's as simple as the CDC seems to want to imply. He was symptomatic for who knows how long before he went in the first time, and doing who knows what, in a city, and we know he then went off for two days. Hopefully he just went home and stayed there, but seems unlikely.

Also god knows how many people any of the hospital personnel who may have come in contact with him, or with things he came in contact with while there, could have or were exposed, if any of the medical personnel picked it up.

What a mess, for no good reason but someone not asking a really basic, obvious question they absolutely should have asked.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to bed. When Patient Zero carrying the ISIS Virus arrives in the U.S., gimme a holler. :sleepy:

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
What the hell happened at that hospital in Dallas?

It's a major city; a patient came in with, presumably, among other things, a fever of unknown origin.

I'm also presuming no one asked 'have you travelled abroad recently?'

If they did, and he answered and they still sent him home, they're so dumb I can't begin to formulate a comment.

If they didn't, what the hell?

It's not as if this is some hidden, just-noticed issue. The WHO and the CDC issued instructions and warnings and etc., months ago. There shouldn't be a damn hospital, and certainly not a hospital in any major metropolitan area, that has someone come in with unexplained symptomology that looks anything like Ebola symptoms, that has people don't think to ask if the person has travelled recently.

Even before this, that'd be a common question, but seriously, no one asked him? They just said, 'huh, whatevs, go home?' It's kind of unbelievable in the level of incompetence (presuming he came in with symptoms that look like Ebola ones, which are generic, and really no one asked).

I don't think it'll lead to some unrestrained outbreak, but nor do I think it's as simple as the CDC seems to want to imply. He was symptomatic for who knows how long before he went in the first time, and doing who knows what, in a city, and we know he then went off for two days. Hopefully he just went home and stayed there, but seems unlikely.

Also god knows how many people any of the hospital personnel who may have come in contact with him, or with things he came in contact with while there, could have or were exposed, if any of the medical personnel picked it up.

What a mess, for no good reason but someone not asking a really basic, obvious question they absolutely should have asked.
I have never been asked if I'd recently travelled. And I don't think that ebola would be the first thing to come to mind, particularly for a country that doesn't have it. A lot of its symptoms sound like it could be other illnesses. Yes, it is unfortunate that it didn't get caught earlier, but I can see how it got overlooked.

Last edited:

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Really? I remember when I came down with a bad cough a few years ago, the doctors were concerned because I'd been in Mexico and Belize the month before.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Really? I remember when I came down with a bad cough a few years ago, the doctors were concerned because I'd been in Mexico and Belize the month before.

I had a bad cough once, and nobody cared at all.