Florida Attorney General Files Suit Against Robert Fletcher/Writers' Literary Agency

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's the smell of an agenda, frankly.

Your language is marked in particular ways; ways that were oddly familiar.

Now, I know why. I've read your prose before.

The fact that a state attorney general is suing Fletcher/Writers' Literary Agency is enough to give any writer more than a little concern.

Huh??? I'm not published. This is totally nuts. Are you serious?

She never said you were published, Nick. However, if one scrolls down to the comments on the link she provided, there's your name on a comment with a few choice words of advice for Victoria.

All she did was show why you sound familiar.

AC Crispin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.accrispin.com
Victoria, as usual, speaketh sooth. Many things are public record, and Writer Beware is very good at researching public record. You ought to try it sometime.

-Ann C. Crispin

Reaction score
She never said you were published, Nick. However, if one scrolls down to the comments on the link she provided, there's your name on a comment with a few choice words of advice for Victoria.

All she did was show why you sound familiar.

True . . . true . . . true. That was me for sure.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
NYC_Writer_001:
We could argue implication and innuendo all day long. Why not say administrative delays . . . lack of prosecution? What’s wrong with fair and balanced? There could be judicial delays too. I just think that it's important to be professional, precise and report facts. Credibility is an asset and goes much farther in the court of public opinion.

I agree that speculation helps no one. However I don't believe that this thread is in anyway a "court of public opinion" - it is designed to report facts and enable discussion of the same. I don't think that anyone here can question the credibility of most of the posters here - unless you'd like to suggest something to the contrary?

NYC_Writer_001:
What’s all the paranoia all about?

It's not paranoia so much as normal skepticism. You're a new poster and the bulk of your comments have been made in two threads on this Forum. Your comments could also be argued to attempt to negate the discussion carrying on here with respect to Strategic. If you've ever used the internet before, you should understand how that looks and as a general head's up - accusing people of paranoia for raising the possibility doesn't make it look any better.

NYC_Writer_001:
I’m looking for options, help, alternatives and I’m questioning statements and/or assertions made by known professionals.

Fair enough. Check out the other boards as they give you a lot of good advice. Preditors and Editors is a solid resource for information on potential scam publishers/agents and companies it's better to avoid generally and so too is Writer Beware.

NYC_Writer_001:
Huh??? I'm not published. This is totally nuts. Are you serious?

No one said you were published. Medievalist said only that your prose was familiar.

NYC_Writer_001:
True . . . true . . . true. That was me for sure.

So what are you complaining about?

MM

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Then we have this, a big-ol' shout-out from "Nick Caruso" to a minor celebrity vanity-published by Eloquent books.

So, "Nick," when you said you were "seeking advice...looking for options, help, alternatives" you were plain old-fashioned lying, weren't you?

What are you doing here? Trying to find out from us what the State of Florida has on you Bobby?

WriterMomto3

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
"Nick" certainly is a proponent of Fletcher's. Perhaps Fletcher is still paying his employees to post positive things about his companies?

SandyArnold

Registered
Reaction score
Florida Attorney General's suit against Strategic Book Publishing

After reading a warning from this site, I checked it out myself and want to publish the result:

This is my e-mail to the Florida Attorney General:

I recently filled out an online request form to have my work considered by the below listed literary agents. They have replied and requested that I send my manuscript. I did so and then did an online search on this agency. I came up with your name and the information that you are investigating and/or possibly prosecuting them for fraud. Is this information correct?

Thank you.

Sandra Arnold

About SBPRA - Strategic Book Publishing & Rights Agency
Our company is thriving in today's evolving world of publishing simply
because we are perfectly situated between a literary rights agency and a
publishing company with global reach.

Here is their reply:

Randi Shapiro [email protected]

May 16 (1 day ago)

Dear Sandra,
I apologize for not getting back to you on this,. Apparently it was in my
spam folder. Yes this company is under investigation and a lawsuit has been
filed by the State of Florida. You may view this complaint on our website
at Myfloridalegal.com If you put Writers Literary in the search bar you
will be able to pull up the complaint. I hope that I was able to address
your questions. And thank you for contacting the Office of the Attorney
General Pam Bondi for assistance.
Randi Shapiro MS., CFE.
Financial Investigator
Economic Crimes Division
Office of the Attorney General
110 SE 6th Street
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33301
954-712-4600
Fax 954 527-3708

Last edited:

C. K. Casner

is a twisted individual
Registered
Reaction score
I have not contacted SBPRA since I filed a complaint with the Florida AG and yet I received an unsolicited royalty check in the mail this morning.

Could this civil suit possibly be drawing to a close?

I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth, just curious.

Last edited:

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Fletcher et al. have signed a Stipulated Settlement Agreement, in which they don't admit to any guilt but must submit to a number of fairly onerous conditions--including payment of $125,000 in author reparations (plus a $10,000 penalty for missing the payment deadline). The lawsuit will be dismissed only if the payments are made in full.

More at Writer Beware's blog.

- Victoria