• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

P.N. Elrod is Critiquing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's an unrealistic goal and it could absolutely kill your career. You have to keep writing if writing is what you want to do---whether or not you have an agent, or a publisher or readers. Keep writing because you can't get better until you've written story after story and honed your craft. :Hug2:

Cathy C's writing advice is always solid.

Australian River

Registered
Reaction score
^^^This is really the best advice! Keep on writing and don't worry about when it arrives. :)

I'm so glad you got back to writing, Australian River! I was concerned when you said this:

That's an unrealistic goal and it could absolutely kill your career. You have to keep writing if writing is what you want to do---whether or not you have an agent, or a publisher or readers. Keep writing because you can't get better until you've written story after story and honed your craft. :Hug2:

Exactly! It took me 8 years to finish my first MS (80k), but then I wrote my second (49K) in 3 months, so there you go :)

akaria

Registered
Reaction score
Ms. Elrod just finished an editing job for me in August. She found so many things I was blind to. The revising is going slowly, but I have much more confidence in the final product now. I liked that she included a separate document that listed my major offenses. When pointing out how to fix them, she used examples from the MS which made it much clearer than throwaway sentences in a grammar book. I'd definitely use her again if our schedules align.

shs22

Registered
Reaction score
I'm really late to the party. Is this critique service still available? It looks like it is, but I'd like to be certain.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
She's busy and squeezing this in between her regular work and writing. Also, she posted on FaceBook a couple days ago that the dog whose vet bills she's trying to pay down has died. I doubt she's in a good frame of mind just now. :(

authorMAF

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authormaf.com
I've had her critique page bookmarked ever since I started writing my 3rd manuscript, but I'm waiting for my Beta Readers to get back to me on my manuscript since I'd rather send the best I have as to not waste her time ;)

She's busy and squeezing this in between her regular work and writing. Also, she posted on FaceBook a couple days ago that the dog whose vet bills she's trying to pay down has died. I doubt she's in a good frame of mind just now. :(

I saw that on her page, but from what she wrote, it sounded positive (well, as positive as you can be after loosing a dear friend...I still remember loosing my ten year old dog...it hurts):

"In September 2014, Fuzzy went home to be with my sister again. Fuzzy was a sweet, cheerful fur angel and will always have a special place in my heart. She made my life better for her presence."

Last edited:

Katana

On the edge...
Registered
Reaction score
I was saddened to read about the loss of her dog. I know all too well the pain of losing a beloved animal companion and the devastating effect it has.

I understand the delay in getting critiques back to people. It's been five months for me, but my problem is that my opening has changed from the one I sent to her. I got good feedback from others in the meantime, and I wouldn't want her to waste her time critiquing something that's no longer relevant. Has anyone else had this problem, and did you contact her to ask if you could submit new pages?

Last edited:

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't want her to waste her time critiquing something that's no longer relevant. Has anyone else had this problem, and did you contact her to ask if you could submit new pages?

I doubt she'd want to waste your time either. It's worth a shot to write her with the title of your book, when you sent it, and explain that changes have been made, and could she look at the newer version instead. Paste it into the body of the email just in case.

I hear she's an ogre of an editor, but otherwise quite human. She came up through the ranks (slushpile), same as a lot of us, and knows what it's like.

Katana

On the edge...
Registered
Reaction score
I doubt she'd want to waste your time either. It's worth a shot to write her with the title of your book, when you sent it, and explain that changes have been made, and could she look at the newer version instead. Paste it into the body of the email just in case.

I hear she's an ogre of an editor, but otherwise quite human. She came up through the ranks (slushpile), same as a lot of us, and knows what it's like.
Thank you for the advice. I contacted her and was able to submit new pages. For anyone interested, she's into her May submissions, but only does one critique a day because of her busy schedule. That explains the wait.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Uh-oh, looks like she's having some problems. She posted this on her Facebook wall:

https://www.facebook.com/p.n.elrod/posts/10152372960556434

It's been two weeks and it looks like five of the writers have decided not to donate to Fuzzy's Fund. The other writers donated and another had the good manners to respond that she'd donate on payday, and I'm cool with that.

But five of them (and I did send a follow up email with no attachments to make sure my crit isn't in their spam filters) haven't even bothered to reply.

Maybe they didn't like the brick in the face treatment and this is how they react to a dose of real world editorial feedback: stiff the editor who spent 3-5 hours reading and commenting on their 2500 words instead of working on her own words.

I can understand them shafting me, but shafting my poor dead dog?

That's low, and I don't care who knows it.

Yes, I AM keeping track of their names, thank you for asking. If you're one of these writers and see this, let's just pretend you lost the link to the donation page and all is forgiven.

I don't like feeling this way, and neither do you.
Then she put in the link. http://www.vampwriter.com/CRITIQUETWO.htm

Don't know about the rest of you, but I wouldn't care to be on ANY editor's "blacklist!"
icon10.gif

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
This is getting scary. She's not naming names of deadbeats, but did post initials. Anyone recognize themselves?

. . . only two authors (out of five slow pokes) haven't made a donation to Fuzzy's Fund in exchange for critiques made on their submission. One promised to get one in on payday -- that was 9 days ago, and the other hasn't bothered to write back at all since she got her crit on the 5th of this month. I sent her a reminder and hope it's just stuck in a spam filter.

While I'd love to be in a place where I could do these pro bono, I'm not. I will continue to send crits out in good faith and hope for the best. So far the vast majority of writers have been beyond cool and showed a professional attitude, so go them!

<snip>

J.B. and V.R. -- I put in hours of my time on your work. If you're going to ignore that, keep in mind that I am still a working editor and have a long and evil memory. I also get waaaay too chatty in bars when I hang out with other editors and writers. Grr. Argh. Growlph.
In her comments she added:

I rather suspect some just aren't ready, got pissed, and won't pay out of spite because they took it personally. Not a professional attitude, that. They won't go far in publishing, either. A thick skin is the first thing you have to grow. It doesn't feel good, but you do it or find another outlet for your creativity.

Besides, if they can survive one of my crits, then they need fear no future editor.

That's for damn-sure. I got slammed solid years ago by a pugnacious editor and survived. Since then I've been able to hold my own against the rest! :D

Anna L.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annafrost.ca
Sent my opening on May 8. Got my brick October 23.

I'm confused though--she seems to think teens in YA aren't allowed to think about sex at all. I guess she doesn't read any YA lit? I'm going to ignore that bit.

elmtree

Registered
Reaction score
Elrod writes a kick-ass critique. Well worth it, and the only thing that hurts after is your ego when you realize your work isn't perfect. I recommend her help without reserve because she is impartial and honest and thoroughly experienced. Her comments helped me revise my jerk of a protagonist. And she is a generous, caring woman. Thank you, Patricia.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I can't believe someone was stupid enough to do this. Hope they're not a member of AW. Elrod posted this on her Facebook page the other day. It's for friends only, so it won't show to the general public. I won't bother with a link.

one of the writers who sent something in for a critique "punked" me with some astonishingly bad fan fiction. <snip> On the critique page of my website it clearly states that I don't do feedback for fan fiction. <snip> I've nothing against it, that's something writers do for fun, but unless they have a contract with a publisher putting out licensed tie-in books, it's a waste of my time to critique it.

I can't say that he spoiled my day, he's not that important, but he essentially peed on all the other writers patiently waiting their turn in line. The hours wasted on his little trick should have been theirs. <snip> He stole time from more deserving writers. I don't forgive that.
Yikes.

It strikes me that punking an editor is bad idea.
icon10.gif

Last edited:

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
:Wha: Sheesh! Some people's kids... I certainly hope it wasn't someone from AW. I like to think the people here have more sense than to tick off a working editor.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I saw that on Facebook today and was just going to share it here. What on earth was that person thinking?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
On the plus side, she apparently found something awesome with the submission of another writer, so if we award the punk (I swear I read that as "puked" in the quote.) a zero sum for being a time waster, then the day ended with a positive balance!

Awesome writing for the win!

(Trolls should be required to pay for the time they waste!)

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Most likely that person hadn't bothered to read the instructions and also didn't know that fan fiction is a no-no overall.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
That's what I'm wondering. If it was just a clueless author looking for a critique, not realizing the problems with asking for a crit on fan fiction, rather than an actual attempt to punk her.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
She went into more detail in the post, and the impression I got was he was intentionally punking her to see if she'd catch on. Apparently it was no clueless kid, but a retiree guy. As they say in my family, there's no fart like an old fart. I'm on her side. I don't have time to waste on idiots either.

Status
Not open for further replies.