It's official - My Novel is Officially Published!

Status
Not open for further replies.

byron100

Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious about actual sales numbers, although I understand that you might not be willing to share that.

To date, my biggest day was 22 units, although it's dropped off since then. The rankings seem to lag a bit behind sales, perhaps by as much as a day. If it settles down at a steady 8-10 units a day, I'd be totally happy, but it remains to be seen if Amazon will promote my book enough to maintain that. I do know having multiple books helps to boost sales - so I'd better get cracking on my next book...lol.

Although these numbers may seem low, the e-book market is growing by leaps and bounds, and considering the cost of getting self-published on KDP is zero, I really can't complain. Heck, I didn't even pay to have my cover done, I did it myself. :)

Rebel-Dynasty

Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rebeldynasty.wordpress.com
I think that's incredible! Way to go! I only hope I wind up as successful with my own work, when the time comes.

As far as self-publishing goes (that's the route you took, right?) how did you go about doing it? I mean, how did you reach the point where you were confident you'd done a good enough job to release it into the world? Did you still get the opinion of literary agents, and the like?

Sorry for all the questions; I'm still trying to figure out what I'll do, once my trilogy is finished.

byron100

Registered
Reaction score
I think that's incredible! Way to go! I only hope I wind up as successful with my own work, when the time comes.

As far as self-publishing goes (that's the route you took, right?) how did you go about doing it? I mean, how did you reach the point where you were confident you'd done a good enough job to release it into the world? Did you still get the opinion of literary agents, and the like?

Sorry for all the questions; I'm still trying to figure out what I'll do, once my trilogy is finished.

That was a very tough thing for me to do, deciding when to go ahead and set that bird free. But I eventually reached the point where I felt I really couldn't improve the book any further on my own, and I knew I just had to get it out there and let it sink or swim on its own merit. It felt like leaping off a cliff - blindfolded. Not easy!

As for literary agents looking over my work, I wasn't that fortunate, but I did get some good advice from an English professor to improve my work, so that was a big help. Having a trusted friend to play beta reader and critic was a huge help as well.

Hopefully this will encourage other readers to make the leap as well. :)

Rebel-Dynasty

Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
That was a very tough thing for me to do, deciding when to go ahead and set that bird free. But I eventually reached the point where I felt I really couldn't improve the book any further on my own, and I knew I just had to get it out there and let it sink or swim on its own merit. It felt like leaping off a cliff - blindfolded. Not easy!

As for literary agents looking over my work, I wasn't that fortunate, but I did get some good advice from an English professor to improve my work, so that was a big help. Having a trusted friend to play beta reader and critic was a huge help as well.

Hopefully this will encourage other readers to make the leap as well. :)

It sounds like your courage really paid off, in the end. :) I'll have to read it, the first chance I get--heck, with Christmas coming up, and me usually getting gift cards for bookstores, I'll probably buy a copy.

It is available in paperback and hard cover, right? :D

Last edited:

byron100

Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like your courage really paid off, in the end. :) I'll have to read it, the first chance I get--heck, with Christmas coming up, and me usually getting gift cards for bookstores, I'll probably buy a copy.

It is available in paperback and hard cover, right? :D

No way - I'd have to hire a professional editor before I'd ever release a book in print - it'd be too embarrassing to have typos and mistakes that I'd not be able to fix...lol.

Rebel-Dynasty

Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
No way - I'd have to hire a professional editor before I'd ever release a book in print - it'd be too embarrassing to have typos and mistakes that I'd not be able to fix...lol.

Good choice, lol. Not that I doubt it can be done, but a writing acquaintance of mine released a book of short stories, starting online, then getting them printed (self-published, as well). There was only one typo, but it drove him up the wall, once he realized it--right after publishing, no less.

Honestly though, I've come across a fair number of typos even in novels that had gone through publishing companies--some of which were pretty severe. O_O

nealraisman

tenured at Mammon U
Registered
Reaction score
Double congrats. Tell us how you promoted the book to get those sorts of numbers so quickly.

byron100

Registered
Reaction score
Aside from urging friends and family to get copies, I joined some facebook groups, as well talking about my book in a couple of survivalist / prepper forums. Hopefully I'm on enough "bought lists" on Amazon to keep the mojo going. :)

bananamelissa

Climbing the mountain of life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
melissa-field.com
Wow, how exciting!!!! Good for you. It feels great to see our hard work being reflected back to us. I love that you took a screenshot. Congratulations many times over.

I had a little chuckle over "Huzzah!"

grayworld

Registered
Reaction score
Damn, byron100. That's some serious success right out of the gate. Hope it continues!

byron100

Registered
Reaction score
I just had to post about this, as I broke a new record, breaking the top 5000 for the first time. :D

yDLHBl5.jpg

Now I just gotta get me some more reviews...lol.

Ian Thompson

Registered
Reaction score
Wow I'm very impressed. I love hearing about peoples successes as its such an inspiration. Keep up the good work as its definitely paying off in sales.

Last edited:

Winfred

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! Just want to say how great this is, that your ship has come in! Wow! Congrats on your success and next novel anticipated by many as you rise in the ratings!

Top of the Day!
Winfred0000

byron100

Registered
Reaction score
Update

This is probably the last screenshot I'll post on here, at least for a while. For over three weeks, I've spent many a weary hour flogging my book all over the Web, and have put on a couple small campaigns ($10 and $35 spent.)

Starting next week, however, I'll be diving into the writing of my next book - so this bird is gonna have to fly on its own...lol. But for now, I will savor this moment, and burn it into my memory banks, for it'll be ever so fleeting...

eFfSqaO.jpg

byron100

Registered
Reaction score
My book continues to be downloaded into Kindles all over the world, and more importantly, I'm getting some great reviews from the reading public, which is really the only thing that matters (to me, anyway...lol.) If people are paying to read my book, I certainly want them to enjoy it. :D

Even more exciting, however, I've been invited by a professor acquaintance of mine to do an interactive chat with one of his classes tomorrow, about how technology has changed the world of publishing and the distribution of literature. To say I was flattered by him asking me to do this is an understatement - this is some cool stuff. I can only hope I'll be able to inspire a budding writer or two to go after their dreams. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.