Thanksgiving FAQ for the whole AW Community

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanksgiving morning starts with either orange sweet rolls or sticky buns, and really good coffee. Which morphs into Irish Coffees, at some point about mid-morning...

The key is to stay sober enough to avoid ruining the food while cooking it. That's an important life lesson they never taught me in school.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanksgiving morning starts with either orange sweet rolls or sticky buns, and really good coffee. Which morphs into Irish Coffees, at some point about mid-morning...
Ah, yassss... and cigars are traditionally served at 11:15, no?

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
:D Heh. I'm a drink-nurser, in general, so dinner is never actually in any danger.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Thanksgiving at our place always, always starts with gumbo. Crab, oyster, fish sausage, and shrimp. Om nom nom nom. It is the bestest. Pass the saltines, baby.

When I lived in Louisiana, I could have eaten gumbo every day, every meal and been perfectly happy.

*makes note to go to Kitty's for Thanksgiving*

No, no, no! They must be two distinct dishes.

That way, we get two...

*sigh* And another innocent thread gets ported to P&CE...

Only for you, poet. Only for you. :D

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
dessert: CHOColate pie (with whip cream topping, NOT the merignue stuff) . . .

oh, and I'll have a handful of those haystack thingies too. yum yum yum

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
My mom always made pumpkin, pecan, and a fruit pie -- either apple or cherry -- at Thanksgiving. At Christmas, she'd make the above three varieties and add mince, as well.

Some years ago, she confessed to me that she's never really been a huge fan of any of the above pie flavors...she'd rather have banana cream pie than anything else.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Obviously, I don't turn down anything with chocolate (unless it's ants. They're too crunchy.) Lately, though, my family has demanded Key Lime pie from me on holidays.

Which really blows because it's a pain in the wazoo to make.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Let's see, since this is all over the place I'll just list the typical turkey dinner.

Citrus turkey with herbs de province, homemade rolls with butter, herb roasted potatoes, ham roast, stuffing made from scratch with cornbread and yummy spices, gravy made from the turky juices, the herbs de province and citrus make it very interesting and extremely good. Pumpkin spice roll, chocolate cream pie, pumpkin pie, apple pie, banana cream, and generally a candy bar pie, and sometimes some nut pies. It really depends on who all comes and what they all bring.

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
I gained five pounds just reading this thread. My family demands green bean casserole.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pie. Pumpkin and pecan. And homemade banana pudding.

I love Thanksgiving....

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Mom's homemade stuffing (I'd tell you how it's done, but then I'd have to kill all of you and where the heck would I hide this many bodies????) - and not an oyster to be found anywhere near the recipe, thankyouverymuch.

The menfolk would revolt if I didn't make pumpkin pie (homemade, right down to the whipped cream to top it. I'm a purist when it comes to cooking) - though I can barely stomach the smell of pumpkin and have never once eaten a piece of said pie.

I, on the other hand, can't let Thanksgiving go by without my mom's apple pie. It's my grandfather's recipe and (unfortunately) no one has ever been able to bake one that's tasted quite as good - but we keep trying. :D

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Thanksgiving at my in-laws house isn't Thanksgiving without cranberry sauce in the shape of a can. (Anyone remember Frazier?!) Seriously though. My MIL is a die-hard product of the early '60s easy cook and bake era.

I tried passing around my homemade cranberry sauce one time and no takers on that side of the family. They all wanted the jiggly stuff that popped right out of the can.

Deleted member 42

I like the sort of cranberry relish that's made with cranberries, raw, ground/food proceesored with sugar, oranges, and orange peel, and walnuts.

But I also like the Stamberg Relish; honest, it's quite good and very pretty.

Deleted member 42

I gained five pounds just reading this thread. My family demands green bean casserole.

Last year was the first time I'd ever had green bean casserole.

Planning on having it again.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score

My God!!! I thought this was a Swedish tradition started with Grandma Allen when she celebrated her first Thanksgiving after hitting Ellis Isle.

Of course we now substitute Pillsbury Cinnamon rolls, but the tradition lives..

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
What, nobody else needs the obligatory sweet potato bake with melted marshmallows on top? You people are insane!

Oyster stuffing'd better not be Yankee. I am multicultural that way, but my mom would turn over in her grave hearing that. My dad always told her it was German :)

So, for us: white rice - the good kind you use in gumbo - to hold the giblet gravy. Which must have liver because otherwise it's just silly ;) Oyster stuffing. Non-oyster dressing with the turkey on top like only Southern relatives can perfect. Sweet potato casserole. Green beans.

And pumpkin pie, silly.

Also gingerbread... but I'm beginning to think Dad snuck in a lot of German into a few holidays.

Don Allen

Registered
Reaction score
Creamed Cauliflower, with gobs of melted cheese baked over it..

The family would be heart broken if I didn't make a pot of it,,, pretty damned tasty..

Don Allen

Registered
Reaction score
What, nobody else needs the obligatory sweet potato bake with melted marshmallows on top? You people are insane!

Oyster stuffing'd better not be Yankee. I am multicultural that way, but my mom would turn over in her grave hearing that. My dad always told her it was German :)

So, for us: white rice - the good kind you use in gumbo - to hold the giblet gravy. Which must have liver because otherwise it's just silly ;) Oyster stuffing. Non-oyster dressing with the turkey on top like only Southern relatives can perfect. Sweet potato casserole. Green beans.

And pumpkin pie, silly.

Also gingerbread... but I'm beginning to think Dad snuck in a lot of German into a few holidays.

Candied yams are a staple.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Oyster dressing for me please.

Love it. Yum.....yum.....yum.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
What's white bread? ;) I'm mostly Native American and Southern :D And you bake it in a cast iron skillet, or even a fire if you're feeling really traditional :D

Deleted member 42

Oyster dressing for me please.

Love it. Yum.....yum.....yum.

My mom, South Carolina, born and bred, is big on oyster dressing.

We can get fresh local caught oysters here, pretty much all year round--but I gotta say, why put them in stuffing when you can roll 'em in some seasoned corn meal, fry 'em and have an oyster po' boy?

At which point--who needs turkey?

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
My mom, South Carolina, born and bred, is big on oyster dressing.

We can get fresh local caught oysters here, pretty much all year round--but I gotta say, why put them in stuffing when you can roll 'em in some seasoned corn meal, fry 'em and have an oyster po' boy?

At which point--who needs turkey?

Awww... now I have to go downtown for lunch tomorrow. Man, that sounds good!