Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Heh. Mostly, I suspect we all got hit with the silly stick, last night.

I've been looking at pie recipes all morning, in between trying to work. :) Thanksgiving is such enormous fun for me, as an adult -- in ways that I sort of missed, as a child.

Dawnbird

Dabbler
Registered
Reaction score
Oooo. Got to have brown gravy, made fresh with flour and the juice from the turkey. Mix that up with the mashed spuds with the skin left in, a little bit of corn and leftover turkey-yum!

Sweet potato pie! Sweet potato pie! The best part of that pie is that I'm the only one who eats it, so I get the whole thing to myself. :D

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We usually make 5 sweet potato pies: 1 to take/give to Thanksgiving guests...and 4 to be shared between the two of us. What can I say? Sweet potato pie is the perfect dessert, but it's also the perfect breakfast. And the perfect lunch. And the perfect dinner. It's made out of vegetables, people! This year we are having 9 dinner guests. It's possible they will each need their own pie, even the baby. I know I ain't sharing.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I have never tried that. I think I will this year. My MIL is always looking to try new things.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
This one's for Mac. :)

Sweet Potato Biscuits

2 cups warm sweet potatoes, boiled & mashed
1/2 cup shortening
2 tsp. baking powder
3 cups sifted flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp salt

Sift together flour and baking powder in one bowl. In larger mixing bowl, mix the warm potatoes with sugar, salt and shortening. Beat until just blended. Add dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.

The dough will be sticky. Flour your board/counter and your hands. Roll dough out to about 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with biscuit cutter. Place on ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes, or until just browned. Watch the first batch carefully. Too brown and they get dry. These biscuits are supposed to be moist. :)

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
:Jump:

I've heard this rumor that Sharon Mock makes maple/allspice butter that would go well with these...

Sweet Potato Biscuits

1/2 cup shortening
2 tsp. baking powder
3 cups sifted flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp salt

Sift together flour and baking powder in one bowl. In larger mixing bowl, mix the warm potatoes with sugar, salt and shortening. Beat until just blended. Add dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.

The dough will be sticky. Flour your board/counter and your hands. Roll dough out to about 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with biscuit cutter. Place on ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes, or until just browned. Watch the first batch carefully. Too brown and they get dry. These biscuits are supposed to be moist. :)

Dawnbird

Dabbler
Registered
Reaction score

Sweet Potato Biscuits

1/2 cup shortening
2 tsp. baking powder
3 cups sifted flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp salt

I think I love you. I'm going to go make these now...

I've been trying to get my siblings to try sweet potato anything, but they think it's too nasty in appearance to try it. Really, any vegetable that is topped with marshmallows and brown sugar can't be bad. Oh well. More for me. :D

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I think I love you. I'm going to go make these now...

I've been trying to get my siblings to try sweet potato anything, but they think it's too nasty in appearance to try it.

I saw this neat recipe for French Toast that had you mix a few tablespoons of pureed sweet potato in with the egg and cinnamon. It sounds fantastic, and an easy way to sneak sweet potatoes into someone's diet. Cuz they really are good for you. :)

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to try something new this Thanksgiving. I'm trying them today to make sure they work out well. But I'm thinking Whoopie Pies would be a fun change.

Deleted member 42

I'm going to try something new this Thanksgiving. I'm trying them today to make sure they work out well. But I'm thinking Whoopie Pies would be a fun change.

They give them out for Halloween in Maine and N.H.

The tricky part is not letting the cake part over-cook, for me.

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Growing up everything was "from scratch". My musts included homemade cranberry relish and candied yams (though as a kid I only ate the marshmallow off the top).

On a side note, the first Thanksgiving I had at my mother-in-laws was quite and experience. Let me preface this by saying I love my mother-in-law. Cranberry glob from a can, instant mashed potatoes, canned green beans... Do I need to mention I do the cooking now LOL.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
They give them out for Halloween in Maine and N.H.

The tricky part is not letting the cake part over-cook, for me.

I've never had them. They don't appear here in Utah, at least no where that I've seen. So I'm heating up the oven today and seeing how they turn out. I'd have to make them anyway for my kids so it's just as well.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
... What can I say? Sweet Potato Pie is the perfect dessert, but it's also the perfect breakfast. And the perfect lunch. And the perfect dinner. It's made out of vegetables, people!

Amen Sister! :D

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
And here they are.

whoopie_pies.JPG

I might try some pumpkin ones for thanksgiving see how they turn out.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
And here they are.

I might try some pumpkin ones for thanksgiving see how they turn out.
Recipe please. I have pregnant wife that is demanding I start Thanksgiving early this year...like yesterday.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Turkey and stuffing.

That's it.

Everything else is just getting in my way of enjoying those two items.
I'm all about a minimalist meal: turkey, mashed taters, pie. Repeat.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

Sharon Mock

Wing nut
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kirizal.livejournal.com
:Jump:

I've heard this rumor that Sharon Mock makes maple/allspice butter that would go well with these...
The rumor is true, though the poster is slow...

Maple-Allspice Butter:

1 stick butter, at room temperature
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Mix together. Goes wonderfully on baked sweet potatoes and winter squash. I will have to try Kelly's sweet potato biscuit recipe before Thanksgiving. For the first time in years, we're not hosting.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
Thanksgiving morning starts with either orange sweet rolls or sticky buns, and really good coffee. Which morphs into Irish Coffees, at some point about mid-morning...
In my house, it's cinnamon and nutmeg crepes with butter and jam (always homemade, typically peach) or orange sugar and hot chocolate with marshmallows.

What, nobody else needs the obligatory sweet potato bake with melted marshmallows on top?
My kids would go on strike if I didn't make candied Yams (NO, *holds her hands up* let's not start up on what is a yam and what is a sweet potato) I get yams from the market *points to the label that says Yams).

My mom always made up some dream whip, added drained fruit cocktail, chopped apples, sliced bananas and if we were lucky, miniature marshmallows.

I've kept my ex mother-in-laws tradition and make homemade orange rolls.

This year, because I cooked a turkey not long ago and froze a lot of the left over meat, I'm making a turkey pot pie with a gluten free crust. I'll let you know how it turns out. ;)

Oh and I have to make pumpkin pie, my kids eat it for breakfast the day after Thanksgiving.

What? It's a vegetable. :D

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I like simple for Thanksgiving. One of my favorite simples is: Winter squash (butternut, acorn, hubbard, etc., virtually any variety will do), halved, seeds scooped out, cavity filled with some butter, honey, cinnamon, baked uncovered on a cookie sheet for about 30 minutes at 325 degrees or so, until soft (will depend upon size of squash). When I lived in the U.K. I amazed some of my Brit friends with this dish on more than one occasion; twenty years ago, winter squashes were a real exotic edible to Brits, but perhaps that's changed since then. I hope so.

caw

cscarlet

AW = Procrastination.
Registered
Reaction score
Dear Lord I'm HUNGRY now!!!!!

I seriously can't pick my ONE favorite side. It can't be done. They all just .... go together. One scrumptious harmonization of so many distinct flavors. I can't bear to single any out!!!

Mashed Potatoes (lots of cream and butter), apple-sausage stuffing, both smothered in turkey drippin' gravy... Green bean casserole and zucchini squash casserole... corn souffle... Vanilla spice bread with pecan butter...

These are the things which dreams are made of ;)

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
GRAVY!

...on stuffing, on bread, on rice, on potatoes, on EVERYTHING!

MissKris

Is the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristindmiller.com
Mmm, yes. All the lovely traditional and not so traditional sides mentioned above, plus, this year I'm trying out a creamy cauliflower gratin. Also, I hate pumpkin pie (but love sweet potato - go figure) so I do a pumpkin cheesecake every year. We're all going to die of coronary failure before the morning.

A note on the turkey, I cook the bird breast side down for the first half, then flip it over for the last half of the cooking time. All that thigh and backbone fat bastes the breast. I've brined, cooked in a bag, basted every fifteen minutes, etc. and this is my favorite method.