• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Jean V. Naggar Literary Agency

Mel A.

settling in with my red pen . . .
Registered
Reaction score
That's too bad, samitestar - but don't worry, this is definitely a rough process. I've had too many rejections to count.

Jessica Regel still has my partial, no word from her. I'm starting to wonder if something went wrong in cyberspace, since you submitted yours a month later. Maybe I should e-mail her?

I'm expecting a rejection, but it would be nice to get it and move on.
A month isn't such a long time for a partial; it just depends on the agent. I submitted a partial to Ms. Regel in mid-May and heard back (rejection) in a week, and that was without an exclusive (because I had other submissions out at that time). My guess is that she gives priority to her exclusive submissions. Also, from what I'm reading, it's "conference season," and things do tend to back up a bit.

Laura Lond

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Jennifer Weltz on April 7 and never heard back. Is this normal? Is she one of the "no response means no" agents?

Laura Lond

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Senora. I have just checked AgentQuery, it says that Jennifer "does not always respond to email queries" and prefers snail mail. I guess that answers my question.

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
I've queried Jennifer on three occasions and always got a response (rejection) anywhere from five to thirty days.

J. M. Hunter

Registered
Reaction score
I got a request from Jessica Sinsheimer, too! She eventually declined representation, but she was very polite and professional. I posted my experience with her here: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17453&page=2

Hope it helps!

J.M. Hunter, I just got a rejection from Jessica Regal too. I felt my heart jump into my throat when I saw an email from her, then it dropped down with despair.

C'est la vie, huh? If it were easy everyone would get published and we'd end up bogged down with bad poetry, lame James Bond knock offs and romance novels that would make Fabio's books look like Shakespear in comparison.

I just got a request for a synopsis (ugh, but it had to be done, right?) and the first 100 pages from Jessica Sinsheimer at Sarah Freymann Agency.

Anyone know anything about her? I heard she likes to read stuff first and that she's enthusiastic about new authors, but any little tidbits would help.

Warlock's Bride - Coming soon to NCP
Tagged - trying to get an agent to represent me, this is day 11!

calbannin

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Jennifer Weltz on April 7 and never heard back. Is this normal? Is she one of the "no response means no" agents?

I queried on July 2 and heard back on July 6 with a request for 3 chapters. Maybe try again.

billyf027

Registered
Reaction score

Does Jessica Regel send rejections to queries or no reply if rejected?

Ugawa

It's a catastrophic success!
Registered
Reaction score
I just got a partial request from Jessica Regel, but she says she requires a 2 week exclusive. I've already got another full out. What should I do? Am I able to tell her that I can't give the exclusive? Would she then reject me straight away?

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
I just got a partial request from Jessica Regel, but she says she requires a 2 week exclusive. I've already got another full out. What should I do? Am I able to tell her that I can't give the exclusive? Would she then reject me straight away?

Tell her you can't offer an exclusive because other agents are reading the MS. Offer to advise her immediately if you were to get another offer before making your decision. Attach the MS to the email. I did this with Jennifer and she had no problem. Go back up this thread a bit as I posted the email I sent to Jennifer.

Congrats on the request!! Good luck.

ETA: Post #156 has the wording I used in email.

Ugawa

It's a catastrophic success!
Registered
Reaction score
Tell her you can't offer an exclusive because other agents are reading the MS. Offer to advise her immediately if you were to get another offer before making your decision. Attach the MS to the email. I did this with Jennifer and she had no problem. Go back up this thread a bit as I posted the email I sent to Jennifer.

Congrats on the request!! Good luck.

ETA: Post #156 has the wording I used in email.

Thank you so much :D

HappyCamper

I lurk, therefore I am
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Jennifer Weltz on Aug 16 and got a request for an exclusive partial today (I had to withdraw though because I recently found an agent.)

Good luck to everyone waiting on queries and requested material. :)

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Huh. I queried Ms. Weltz on July 2, and haven't gotten a reply of any kind. Is she "no response=no" ? I'll have to go see...

Madison

summertime...
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, the Jean Nagger Literary Agency has an excellent reputation, but I'd only query Jessica Regel as a last resort. She's not known to be the sharpest bulb on the Xmas tree, or the brightest. For example, she'll ask for a two-week exclusive, and then when several weeks pass, lie to the writer and say it was a four week exclusive and it's the writer's mistake, when that wasn't the case. Her honesty is seriously in question here. No, I haven't had a personal experience with her - this is what I've heard from other writers who have worked with her, and around the New York City publishing world, where I live.

I have a two-week exclusive out with Jessica Regel right now -- it's only been one week, so obviously I'm still waiting. I'd just like to hear more about this information -- is this true or just someone ranting?

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
I don't like coincidences. It's bad enough she asks for exclusives ("Exclusives suck!" -- Janet Reid) but then to not actually do what she claims she needs the exclusive for -- read the freaking ms. already -- in the time period she requested is inexcusable, whether it's nefarious (lying) or merely incompetence, indifference, etc. Too many agents act like only their time is valuable, only they ought to get some consideration. They're the gatekeepers so they know what power they have over us, particularly those of us who've never gotten over the moat before because we're first-timers at this. There's no need to encourage such rude behavior. We put up with enough as it is.

himynameisamanda

Registered
Reaction score
I e-queried Jessica Regel last week, and she asked for the first three chapters with two-week exclusive, and I sent it off a few hours ago. I didn't say anything about the two-week exclusive, but nobody else has a partial or full or anything, so she has exclusive by default anyway.

I'm gonna be so bummed if she calls, and then she's like "just kidding, it's not for me." I freak out when they ask for a partial.

But at any rate, I've decided to be excited over Jessica Regel and ignore the exclusive thing. The odds of two agents wanting to compete over my work seems very unlikely, but if it happened, it would kinda turn me on anyway.

I'll let you know if anything fun/exciting/traumatic happens with Jessica Regel and the partial. (Even tho I'm suspecting a standard rejection).

himynameisamanda

Registered
Reaction score
Jess Regal emailed me on Monday saying she really enjoyed my first three chapters and wants me to mail her the whole thing.

She asked for a month exclusivity, and I gave it to her. Because of my rebellious nature.

So that's what I know. As of this second.

jsouders

Registered
Reaction score
Well, just got a request for a partial from Jessica Regal. She asked for an exclusive which I can't give her; I have a couple fulls out and another partial. I'll let her know, but does anyone know if she still accepts the work, or if it she automatically rejects.

jsouders

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, another stupid question. I emailed her with my partial telling her I could not offer her the exclusive. A few days later, I received an email from her telling me that was fine. Today, I got another email from her telling me that she would waive the exclusive for me, but she wanted me to tell her if I received an offer for representation and to allow her a week to respond. Which, of course, I will be more than happy to do. My question is this, Am I supposed to respond to her and let her know that I would be happy to do it. Or let it slide. I don't want her to think I'm rude, but I don't want to appear unprofessional either.

Phantom Writer

Dancing between good and evil...
Registered
Reaction score
I would email her back and let her know that you agree with her week notification that way she knows you agree with her terms... but that is just me. I think it's cleaner and better if all the details are all laid out and agreed on.

jsouders

Registered
Reaction score
I would email her back and let her know that you agree with her week notification that way she knows you agree with her terms... but that is just me. I think it's cleaner and better if all the details are all laid out and agreed on.

Thanks. That's what I thought. I sent her an email thanking her for her understanding and letting her know that I agreed with her request.