Rejectomancy

pyragelos

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there, I'm new to this thread but definitely no stranger to rejectomancy :D
I am waiting for a response from Every Day Fiction any day now. It's been 67 days, and according to their online system my story is still in the slush pile. Anyone knows whether they actually update this to show a story is 'in process' or not?

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there, I'm new to this thread but definitely no stranger to rejectomancy :D
I am waiting for a response from Every Day Fiction any day now. It's been 67 days, and according to their online system my story is still in the slush pile. Anyone knows whether they actually update this to show a story is 'in process' or not?

Welcome :) And they sure do. Ever Day Fiction updates their online submission tracker whenever the status of your story changes. They usually don't respond until after their 75-day mark. You can still query, of course, but they typically respond around 78 days if they have a rejection for you. Acceptances can take longer. Good luck.

My own rejectomancy to report: 9 day form from Kazka's 713 flash challenge. I'll probably have something else ready for them next month ;)

Adlemons

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

Finally made my first submission yesterday to Clarkesworld... some odd dreams later, I got my response today - rejection.

Sent the story out again.

LolaVelo

Registered
Reaction score
12 day personal R from Swamp Biscuits and Tea (a couple of days ago), but mitigated by the paper I presented at a conference this week being solicited by two different academic journals. Hard to feel bad about anything right now!

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Rejection from Crowded. Apparently I ticked off the box that said I didn't want comments, but I do! I live for any kind of comments. Ah well.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rejection from Crowded. Apparently I ticked off the box that said I didn't want comments, but I do! I live for any kind of comments. Ah well.

I think it's a bug. I had the same problem.

10 people read my story and its average score was 2.5. Which sounds pretty low, but the overall average score of all stories was only 2.06.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, same here on both accounts. I WANTED comments (but didn't get them) AND I got 2.5 exactly. That's a whole lot of time for a whole lot of nothing!

Last edited:

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
I've stayed away from Crowded. Something about that system skeeves me out a little. Nothing wrong with it; it's just a turn off.

11-day form from Apex. On to the next we go. Condolences everyone!

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
I also got a 2.5 rating from Crowded. I'm starting to get a little paranoid...

Edit: Checked the link again. Still a 2.5 but the comments are showing for me now.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, my comments are visible too! Apparently, the dark humor went over some people's heads because I heard too often how some lines were perceived as "unintentionally funny" that were intended to be, at least, intentionally ridiculous. Nice comments, overall. I guess the low raters didn't bother to comment.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
9-day rejection from Apex. I have faith in this story, so I just need to find the right market for it.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A 56-day "reached the final stage of our selection process" rejection from FFO, with comments from eight readers/editors. None of the comments were particularly negative, either. Alas, still didn't make it. This is the longest I've ever had a story held at FFO.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
41-day form R from Escape Pod. On the plus side, unless they don't have standard forms, it looks like I got a higher tier last time.

pyragelos

Registered
Reaction score
37-day higher tier (but form) rejection from Ms Thomas at Apex. This was my first bump so it came with a bit of extra hurt. Ouch.
Tweaked and out the door already.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
106-day form rejection from Green Mountain Review.

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
31-day form R from IGMS. Got 3 more responses from other markets due any day now, so could be headed for a mini-rejectionalanche this week...

squeaky pram

oldie turned newbie
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the recent rejections, especially the "close but no cigars".

I have two to report, one from last week and one from this. 120 days and 177 days. Ouch.

I'm not particularly happy with any of the stories I've currently got on submission. There are four of them on simultaneous subs --well, three now -- which is actually really good for me, but I'm getting discouraged. I know the stories could be better; I just don't have time right now to revise (or write any fiction). I know, I know. Keep submitting. Guess I'm just having one of those "nobody loves me" moments. Ok... cartoon head-shake. That's better. Carry on!