W1S1 Short Fiction 2012--Sign Up Here!

Eva Lefoy

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writery.wordpress.com
Help - what am I writing for January?

A scifi short about a satellite that falls in love with a human?
A short romantic fiction?
A super short 800 word sub for Women's World?

*spins her wheels*

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
This is something I think I can do especially if it's Flash/nano/twitter fiction (my new favorite things :) ). I've sub 2 tonigh so I've met my weekly goal already :)
Welcome along, ohthatmom! :hooray:

Help - what am I writing for January?

A scifi short about a satellite that falls in love with a human?
A short romantic fiction?
A super short 800 word sub for Women's World?

*spins her wheels*
Why not all three? :D

Also, have you checked out some of our hangout places here in the subforum? We've got the W1S1 Check-in Lounge and Bar, where we can chat all things story, the Braggage thread where we, y'know, brag about sales and stuff, the Rejectomancy thread where we can commiserate when some mean editor says no to one of our stories, and plenty more besides. :)

Which reminds me, i was supposed to be organizing a January blog chain. *darts off to do that now*

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Which reminds me, i was supposed to be organizing a January blog chain. *darts off to do that now*
So, who's up for a blog chain? The topic this month is 'Interview a Character.' It could be a character from one of your stories in progress, or from a story you're in the process of subbing, or even a favorite character from another story you've written.

More details here.

horrorshowjack

Professional Heretic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackcnemo.com
I'd like to sign up for one short piece per week, and one long piece per quarter. I've done poetry and playwriting also (without success), so I'll probably do the latter two at various points through the year. I'm hoping that's acceptable.

Long = min novellette/chapbook/one act

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Sounds good, horrorshowjack :) :welcome: to the W1S1 challenge and to AW!

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Argh, I tried to stay away, but I just can't! I'm going to do the monthly challenge for 2012 :).

PriyankaB

Literary Flibbertigibbet
Registered
Reaction score
I've been wanting to sign up for this for a while! And now that I'm out of college and unemployed at the moment, I need some time to kill. Sign me up! :D

rhb

Registered
Reaction score
I'm signing up for the Write1Sub1 monthly. :) I'd love to say I'll do the weekly one but as I'm only just getting back into writing I think that might be a bit over ambitious.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
:welcome: along, rhb! Monthly's a good goal, and if you find that's too easy you can always increase to bi-monthly or weekly :)

rhb

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Izz. :) Oh, and I nicked the Write1Sub1 monthly badge for my signature off you. I hope that's ok: after I'd done it I thought it might be a badge for a particular group on the board. Let me know if I should take it down. :)

Sea Witch

Stirring the word cauldron
Registered
Reaction score
Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Hi folks: Okay, I signed up for the monthly. Never had anything fiction accepted before, but practice makes perfect (I hope). About 10 years ago I submitted 1 to 3 or 4 places and gave up. Is there a spot here on AW with a list of suggested places to submit short stories and where we can suggest places as well?
thanks, and happy new year everyone.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Hi folks: Okay, I signed up for the monthly.
:welcome: Sea Witch. It's great to have you as part of the gang :)

Never had anything fiction accepted before, but practice makes perfect (I hope). About 10 years ago I submitted 1 to 3 or 4 places and gave up.
A few of our W1S1 participants hadn't sold a thing before signing up, but have since. W1S1 is really good for helping a person get into a routine of both writing and submitting. Rejections always sting a little bit, but the more stuff you have circulating the less the rejections sting. One of my favorite stories got 15 rejections before finding a home. Never give up :)

Is there a spot here on AW with a list of suggested places to submit short stories and where we can suggest places as well?
Yes, there surely is! :D

There's this sticky list in the Short Fiction forum. It doesn't link directly to markets, it links to market lists/databases like the wonderful duotrope that have a ton of market information. The sticky also provides some submission tips.

Here in the W1S1 subforum we have the Great W1S1 Hey-Do-You-Know-About-This-Market thread, where we can share info about any new markets or contests we hear about.

If you're looking for markets that take stories under 1500 words, then check out this list in the Flash Fiction subforum: Index of Flash Fiction Markets.

Hope that helps, and i'm sure you'll love the challenge!

Sea Witch

Stirring the word cauldron
Registered
Reaction score
Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Thank you so much for the welcome, the thoughtful reply, and all the links. Very much appreciated. I think I should go eat a few chocolates and celebrate my new goals. Happy New Year!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
w00t! Glad you're back for another round, GCU :hooray: And yay on getting that first story out the door already :)

Sam K.

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to do it monthly, I think. I failed pretty spectacularly last year with this, but I've got a lot more motivation and not a lot of free time (which usually means I do more with the time I do have)! So here we go!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
:hooray: Welcome back, Sam! And remember, even if you fall behind for a few months, there's nothing stopping you hopping back on the W1S1 train (i missed about 4 or 5 months in a row last year) :)

Sarah G

Let me live that fantasy.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I think I might join this and go for the weekly. I'm already doing the Novel one, so it might change to monthly. Also, I have only ever written about two shorts and one of those was in college so the first ones might be rubbish:) But I went for weekly cause with being unemployed I should have a lot of free time to do it.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Yay, Sarah! :hooray: Go for it. I'm sure you'll find your shorties (and your writing in general) will improve a whole lot in a short amount of time. :snoopy:

Cidewalk

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.buffalo-man.com
Oh man, I'm doing weekly, even if sometimes it's flash.

I saw this in late 2011 and was super excited to try it in 2012 (didn't have time last year.)

Ok ok ok! Off to writing!