amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
The Avengers was awesome. If you go, stay through the credits. All of them.

In other news, cyborgs are awesome, too.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
This may be a geek thing, but I always sit through the credits. It isn't just that there might be a stinger at the end, but those people worked damn hard to make the film for my entertainment (or, in the case of some films, whatever the diametric opposite of entertainment is) and deserve credit (or blame). Stingers are added bonuses.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Yeah, I've always stayed through to the end of the credits, too. Family habit.

And occasionally, I know some of those people in the wee little print.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Little known rule of film-watching - if you know the names of anyone in the credits, you are allowed to heckle the screen. You are. I swear, it's enshrined in the Code Of Geek.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Be sure to read the Technomages books spun out of Babylon 5. One of the best pay-offs EVER. Anywhere. The "boil it down" attitude to magic makes me grin every time I think of those.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
Be sure to read the Technomages books spun out of Babylon 5. One of the best pay-offs EVER. Anywhere. The "boil it down" attitude to magic makes me grin every time I think of those.

Geez, I didn't even know the technomages from B5 even got their own spin-off novels. Thanks for the tip, I'm going to look into that.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Also, from CP 2020.

Oh yeah. :D That has a LOT to answer for.

My copy still has pages of notebooks and post-it notes marking the things I have referenced. It's like a shopping list for SF writers, without the boring stuff like bread and milk and cookies scribbled in the margins.

AceTachyon

Odd person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.abnersenires.com
Oh yeah. :D That has a LOT to answer for.

My copy still has pages of notebooks and post-it notes marking the things I have referenced. It's like a shopping list for SF writers, without the boring stuff like bread and milk and cookies scribbled in the margins.
I "borrowed" heavily from the rulebook and the supplemental Chrome books.

You'll notice the aerodyne in K+M is really the AV-4 from CP2020.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
I am unfamiliar with this. Please enlighten me. :)

Table-top, pen and paper role playing game in the vein of Dungeons & Dragons. First edition came out in 1989, basic premise was that in a William Gibson-esque, cyber-punk world, cosmic alignments click into place, magic starts working, dragons wake up, and people with recessive magic DNA start spontaneously converting into Orcs, Dwarves and Elves.

So yeah, basically imagine Neuromancer meets Lord of the Rings and you've got a fair idea of the game's general concept.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
The Avengers was awesome. If you go, stay through the credits. All of them.

In other news, cyborgs are awesome, too.

I'm not going to watch this until it hits Blu-Ray. I've lost my taste for the theatrical experience, and 3D doesn't do much for me.

I may make an exception for Prometheus, but only if I can convince my other over-30 geek friends to accompany me.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I'm not going to watch this until it hits Blu-Ray. I've lost my taste for the theatrical experience, and 3D doesn't do much for me.

I may make an exception for Prometheus, but only if I can convince my other over-30 geek friends to accompany me.

It was one of the better movie theater experiences I've had in a while. Lots of audience laughter and clapping at the right moments. Did miss a line from the Hulk I would have liked to have heard, but I was laughing, too. Joss does snark well.

I did see it in 3D, and I have to say it wasn't nearly as dark or as distracting as some other 3D movies I've seen. But I don't think you'll lose much seeing it in 2D, since that was all added post-production.

I am glad I saw it on the big screen, though.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
Joss does snark well.

And we wouldn't have it any other way.

Honestly, I think the only reason I'm less enthused about the movie theater experience these days is I got spoiled by my time living in Singapore before coming back to North America.

Over there, you can order your tickets online, and pick the seat you want, so you can have a nice dinner, then literally show up five minutes before show time, pick up your ticket and your seat is still waiting for you. Also, some of the theaters over there are shielded against cellular phone use.

I... did not make the transition very well, when I moved back here and went back to the traditional North American viewing experience--especially on opening day--of, "Get in line to buy a ticket, then get in line to get in theater, then join stampede to get a good seat, then try to ignore people talking on their phones around you."

I think I just got older, crankier and less easy going about stuff like that while I was over in Asia.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
This may be a geek thing, but I always sit through the credits. It isn't just that there might be a stinger at the end, but those people worked damn hard to make the film for my entertainment (or, in the case of some films, whatever the diametric opposite of entertainment is) and deserve credit (or blame). Stingers are added bonuses.

Same here, plus I like to clap for the foley artists (because that seems like that must be a super-fun job) and, if they're given credit, the IT people, because they don't get credit nearly as often as they ought.

The Avengers was awesome.

I still haven't seen Iron Man 2, Thor, or Captain America -- I read/saw somewhere that this movie sort of follows on from there. Should I hold off until I've seen the others first?

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, so if I'm writing a story in which a cyber-punky future collides with a comprehensive system of magic, am I writing science fiction or urban fantasy?

No no, it means you're writing Shad0wrun*.

:D

Seriously, I'd guess UF because of the magical element.

*Man, I loved that RPG.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I still haven't seen Iron Man 2, Thor, or Captain America -- I read/saw somewhere that this movie sort of follows on from there. Should I hold off until I've seen the others first?

I only saw Iron Man I, and was fine following along. I do plan to see all the others before I see The Avengers again. (netflix in my future)

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, Ace beat me to it.

Respect, Ace.

Respect.

Also, it's Sara's Enhancing-This-Planet's-Overall-Level-of-Awesome Day?

Happy happy, Sparkles McModerson!

Status
Not open for further replies.