If You Can't Post In Share Your Work or Other Password Protected Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you can't post in Share Your Work (SYW), or log into other password protect forums, try this:

1. Be sure you're putting in the password correctly; the passwords are case sensitive.

Except for the Erotica SYW forum, all passwords are listed on the main forum page. For the Erotica SYW forum, you will need to send a Private Message (PM) to one of the forum moderators or administrators starting your age; if you're approved, they will then send you the password, as per this message on the Erotica SYW forum:

The password to this forum can ONLY be obtained via a PM request with a statement that you're over 21, to Veinglory, ELMontague, or one of the administrators, AWAdmin or MacAllister
2. Share Your Work requires 50 posts before someone can start a thread there. You can still post a reply there if you don't have 50 posts, but you can't start a new thread.

If you have 50 posts and still can't start a thread in SYW, wait an hour and try again. The server updates the database about every hour and it can take that long to recognize that someone has 50 posts. Be patient.

3. If you still can't log in to a password protected forum, try logging out of AW, cleaning out your cookies and cache, and then logging in again.

If you still can't log in, AND you're using Internet Explorer, try this: Go to Tools > Internet Options > General (tab) > Browsing History > Delete, and put a check in the boxes for Temporary Internet Files, Cookies, and History, then click Delete. If you have Absolute Write on your Favorites Bar, then UNCHECK the box to Preserve Favorites Website Data then click Delete OR (if you don't want to remove the data for all websites) remove AW from the Favorite Bar (right click Absolute Write on the Favorites bar and select delete), and then delete the Temporary Files, Cookies, and History files (leave a check in Preserve Favorites in this case), then log back into AW and put it back on your Favorites Bar.

If you lose AW in your favorites, go to http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/ and you'll be back to the main page.

4. If you still can't log in, post a reply to this thread and we'll try to help you. It will help if you tell us what computer operating system you're using (Windows Seven, Mac, etc.) and what browser and browser version you're using (Internet Explorer 8). To find what version you're using, click Help on the menubar of your browser > About -- it will tell you what version you have.

SEE ALSO THIS THREAD IN FAQs: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220379

Last edited:

jilly61

aye aye in search of an agent
Registered
Reaction score
I've tried all of the above. The computers set to allow all cookies and I'm using windows Internet explorer 8. I've never had any problems before but this has got me beat. Any ideas?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've tried all of the above. The computers set to allow all cookies and I'm using windows Internet explorer 8. I've never had any problems before but this has got me beat. Any ideas?

Before we try some other things, have you tried cleaning out all your cookies and cache (I assume you've tried this already), then rebooting your computer.

jilly61

aye aye in search of an agent
Registered
Reaction score
rebooting seems to have done the trick. Fingers crossed it stays this way.

Nonuw

taking time to smell the flowers
Registered
Reaction score
Hi - please help. I've been trying to access the SYW - Mystery thread, but cannot. The message says that administrator wants my passord, and when I put my login password in - it says incorrect. I've cleared the cookies, rebooted computer - and it's still not letting me access the forum.

I'm using windows 7, internet explorer 8. Not sure what to do :-(

Thanks

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
For those who find going through their computer and clearing out the kibble too much of a hassle, I suggest ccleaner. It gets rid of a lot of useless bits and pieces on your hard drive.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For those who find going through their computer and clearing out the kibble too much of a hassle, I suggest ccleaner. It gets rid of a lot of useless bits and pieces on your hard drive.

Yep. I use both ATF and CCleaner.

Last edited:

MrZiggles

Registered
Reaction score
I can't get into the poetry lab. I've logged out and cleared my cookies a few times. And I've rebooted my computer.

I managed to get into the Flash Fiction one after logging out and clearing my cookies. So I'm not sure what has changed since then.

PC - Windows 7.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Poetry password = citrus - is that what you were using?

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Whereas I've never had a problem before, I can't go into the passowrd forums.

On my new computer with Windows 7 and IE 9.

I logged out, and then logged back in. Now I am logged in. Cookies enabled and on low setting. I've cleaned out my cookies and temp internet files and restarted my computer.

I cannot get into any of the passowrd protected forums with the appropriate passwords. I see they are all lower case, but I tried it in all caps anyway.

Any suggestions?

ETA: resolved. Unchecking the "preserve favorite website data" after clearning all the cookies, internet files, ect. did the trick.

CoolBlue

I'm not a child! Give back my toy!
Registered
Reaction score
How long is reasonable to wait for a response for a PW from a moderator?

I understand mods have lives too, just wondered what is OK before looking for lost messages.

Thanks
CB

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
You could check to see if the mod you PMed has logged in since you sent your message; or you could forward the PM to me, if you like, and I'll do what I can to help.

Make sure you've sent a PM: it's easy to confuse PMs and visitor messages, which aren't so obvious when they arrive.

CoolBlue

Registered
Reaction score
You could check to see if the mod you PMed has logged in since you sent your message; or you could forward the PM to me, if you like, and I'll do what I can to help.

Make sure you've sent a PM: it's easy to confuse PMs and visitor messages, which aren't so obvious when they arrive.

Thanks, Old Hack.

I believe it was a PM from the mods profile page. How do I tell now it's sent?

I will forward the PM.

Thanks again.

CB

CoolBlue

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Old Hack.

I believe it was a PM from the mods profile page. How do I tell now it's sent?

I will forward the PM.

Thanks again.

CB

Thanks for the help, the password has been received,
CB

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I think it would be great if we could see the work in SYW, even though we can't post. :Shrug:

You can post crits of others' work in SYW. The 50-post minimum requirement is for putting your own work up for crit. So read the stickies and offer your helpful crits of work that you feel comfortable critting. It's a good way to participate and build up your post count.

ETA: Cross-posted with TAMaxwell.

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For the record, the vista password is not valid for Erotica - Share Your Work. To get that password, you need to contact MacAllister or AW Admin asking for it and saying you're 21 or older.

Status
Not open for further replies.