The Novel Challenge Sign-Up Booth--it's never too late to join!

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
I've decided I'm in for this. I'm going to give myself a year (starting from 1st November) to write a novel. That gives me six weeks to research it, ready for the boost of NaNo.

I'm going to aim for a montly short story write&sub as well.

Agonyzer

Writer, enthusiast, semipope
Registered
Reaction score
Whereas

a.) my current project (horror novelette) is on schedule to be ready for submission by October 1st,

and b.) I have some ideas burgeoning in my head

and c.) the challenge allows me to set my own date (call it 10/31/12),

I am totally in!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
20 definites so far, peeps! Awesome stuff! :PartySmil

Keep recruiting, everybody :)

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mutteringsofascribe.blogspot.com
Oh, dear. I am sorely tempted to do this. Yet I have this horrid, horrid feeling I will regret it.

...pssh. I'm a masochist, anyway. Why else do I keep auditioning for stuff? Count me in.

I'm aiming for at least the first 30k of the first draft for NaNo (I'm somewhat realistic, at least :D) and finishing by... hrm... March 15, 2012. Month-long break from the story, then edits begin April 15, and hopefully polished and ready to start the query process by November 16. My birthday. W00t. ("Start query process" means start writing the query letter, probably. Hm... actually sending out queries by January 15, 2013*. I'm gonna need a lot of time to work out a halfway-decent query...)

...um...yeah. I can do it! Surely! Rah, rah, rah and all that.

Maybe I'm insane. Who knows?

Blech... now I need to outline. Maybe if I can figure out where the story's going beforehand, I can *actually* finish something. >.<

*(So the world better not end in 2012, because goshbuggerit, I am going to get this done if it keels meh!)

Last edited:

OctoberLee

Destroying something beautiful
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in like sin :evil

My plan is 6 months, May 1st 2012 for the first draft.

November 1st 2012 for the completed, revised product -- and begin the querying.

(Hey Lilli, we're kinda working similar timelines.)

I have to, and almost always do, set arbitrary deadlines for myself anyway or I never accomplish anything - I've got a Master's in Procrastination after all. It's nice to have a group for support/holding me accountable too tho. :)

Last edited:

Prisoner24601

One Mouthy Broad
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in. This sounds like the kick in the pants I need finally get that novel idea past chapter one, and I really don't have the speed in me to do it all during NaNo, so one year sounds perfect.

Opinionated Ant

I walk into things
Registered
Reaction score
Well since I'm doing NaNo again any ways... count me in too!
[SUB]I've got to think about my challenge details though. [/SUB]
:chores

starbeam

Registered
Reaction score
Sign me up! I already have one novel written and polishing. I plan to have it agented by the next six months. I also have a new novel in the making. I plan to have it written in the next six months. Hope I'm not sinking myself here... :scared:

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Awesome stuff Opinionated Ant and starbeam! That brings us to 26 definites. :hooray:

tlbodine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tlbodine.blogspot.com
Count me in! I'm behind goal for the deadlines I'd set for myself this year, so hopefully going forward I can do it better.

Goal 1: have Tagestraum finished, polished, and in an agent's hot little hands by Jan 1 2012.

Goal 2: have Nezumi's Children finished and polished by March 2012

Goal 3: Have Carnal Jesus rough draft finished for Nanowrimo, polish done by Nano next year.

*keeping busy!*

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
mememememe! :hi:

But I sort of plan on having more than one novel for sub - I am going to be done editing, at least the first pass, the novel I've finished (Darklight) by the end of October. Then I need beta readers... that might be hard during November. Call me crazy. I hope to be subbing it by, let's say January 2012 at the latest, since I figure December is a nutso month to sub....

I have a NaNo almost planned out - I'm challenging myself to do 3k a day and have that baby done in ONE MONTH. I've written a novel in 41 days, so I'm sure I can do it. But then for finding betas, editing and all that, let's say subbing my March/April of 2012.

Are we putting this in stone right now?

....??

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Count me in! I'm behind goal for the deadlines I'd set for myself this year, so hopefully going forward I can do it better.

Goal 1: have Tagestraum finished, polished, and in an agent's hot little hands by Jan 1 2012.

Goal 2: have Nezumi's Children finished and polished by March 2012

Goal 3: Have Carnal Jesus rough draft finished for Nanowrimo, polish done by Nano next year.

*keeping busy!*
Awesome stuff, tlbodine. Sounds like the challenge will be perfect for your goals :)

:welcome: aboard!

mememememe! :hi:

But I sort of plan on having more than one novel for sub - I am going to be done editing, at least the first pass, the novel I've finished (Darklight) by the end of October. Then I need beta readers... that might be hard during November. Call me crazy. I hope to be subbing it by, let's say January 2012 at the latest, since I figure December is a nutso month to sub....

I have a NaNo almost planned out - I'm challenging myself to do 3k a day and have that baby done in ONE MONTH. I've written a novel in 41 days, so I'm sure I can do it. But then for finding betas, editing and all that, let's say subbing my March/April of 2012.

Are we putting this in stone right now?

....??
:hi: w00t! :welcome: along. Those sound like great goals, and i'm really happy that you'll be using this challenge to edit and polish your NaNo novel.

That's 28 all signed up. Bring your friends! :D

Filly

Registered
Reaction score
This is exactly what I want to see! But I'm predicting this thread will get every long soon. Perhaps keep a list of participants?

Filly

Registered
Reaction score
My goal: Two novels written within one year. One out querying by April. Thanks for setting this up.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
My goal: Two novels written within one year. One out querying by April. Thanks for setting this up.
:hooray:

And we might put up a list somewhere closer to kick-off, but we might not. We had a list for the short fiction challenge initially, but it seems to work just as well without a list, too. If a list does go up, it'll probably be in the first post of this thread :)

mulcahy67

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
i'm in, i've already been gathering up ideas in my little head for NaNo, so i might as well hop in this as well.

Determination

Is watching you
Registered
Reaction score
Please count me in! I'm new here and this thread is the reason I joined :) I'm finishing up my third novel this month ready to start fresh next month for NaNoWriMo. I always do great during November and then procrastination sets in when I have no one to hold me accountable! I really need this. Looking forward to joining in with everyone, if you'll have me? :)

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in! I've started planning my Nano novel, so I'm going to say that I want to have the 1st draft done in 6 months, with the editing done 6 months after that. So - 1st draft 5/1/12, editing - 11/1/12.

Good luck, everyone!!!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Please count me in! I'm new here and this thread is the reason I joined :) I'm finishing up my third novel this month ready to start fresh next month for NaNoWriMo. I always do great during November and then procrastination sets in when I have no one to hold me accountable! I really need this. Looking forward to joining in with everyone, if you'll have me? :)
Of course we'll have you :) :welcome: to AW and welcome to the challenge!

I'm in! I've started planning my Nano novel, so I'm going to say that I want to have the 1st draft done in 6 months, with the editing done 6 months after that. So - 1st draft 5/1/12, editing - 11/1/12.

Good luck, everyone!!!
w00t! Them's some good goals, right there. :)

And now we have 32...

Hirvan

Title
Registered
Reaction score
So I've got this novel in planning stages and I reckon I could have it done in 18 months from the 1st November 2011. So I'll make 1st May 2013 my deadline.

Count me in =)