Share Your Successes!

sarahdalton

Banned
Reaction score
I'd love to see how trade publishers are doing in the ebook world. What can we do to make it more inviting in here? :)

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
I'd love to see how trade publishers are doing in the ebook world. What can we do to make it more inviting in here? :)

Move the self-publishing stuff to its own self-publishing forum? ;)

That's actually a serious suggestion. There are still some discussions to be had about epublishing, I think, as it becomes an increasingly large sector of the book trade. For instance, the difference between contracts for digital-only and digital-first publishers. Or the ways that publishers are marketing digital books differently from print - publication windows, pricing etc.

But if all the threads in here are self-publishers talking about whether to opt in to Kindle Select or how to format for Smashwords, it doesn't seem like this is the right forum for those discussions. And it helps reinforce the all-too-frequent confusion between self-publishing and e-publishing.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Move the self-publishing stuff to its own self-publishing forum? ;)

That's actually a serious suggestion.

The mods already do that.

Not all threads are clearly one or the other, though, so there is often some overlap; and some threads, like this one, could feature both writers, but only the self published ones turn up.

There are still some discussions to be had about epublishing, I think, as it becomes an increasingly large sector of the book trade. For instance, the difference between contracts for digital-only and digital-first publishers. Or the ways that publishers are marketing digital books differently from print - publication windows, pricing etc.

But if all the threads in here are self-publishers talking about whether to opt in to Kindle Select or how to format for Smashwords, it doesn't seem like this is the right forum for those discussions. And it helps reinforce the all-too-frequent confusion between self-publishing and e-publishing.

We already move threads which are about self publishing into the self publishing room. No one is actively keeping writers who are with e-publishers out of this room: I don't think the regulars here are particularly off-putting (ha!), so if trade-published writers don't join in here we have to wonder whether there's still a need for this room.

It's Mac's decision, of course, and not really up to us. But I think it's a useful discussion to have.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
It would be more inviting if the terms ebook and e-publishing weren't allowed to be constantly misused as though they were synonymous with self publishing. :)
That is what gets on my nerves about this section. It is a misuse of terms when most books by trade publishers are put into eBook these days, and when there are so many digital first and digital only publishers and new imprints of big publishers.
I go to another board where e-publishing and self-publishing are separate categories, but when I suggested a few months back that the two should be separated here I got flamed by someone.
icon9.gif

Last edited:

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
What a change! So, Bookbub is doing good for you? I can't remember where I heard about it, but I'm thinking that J. Konrath endorsed it and said that it really pumped sales for him. Or it was some other place--thing is, it was a positive review of that service, and I'm tempted to check it out myself.

After my free trial I sold 10 books then all the other titles picked up sales, which has never happened. Not a big shout-out, but progress nevertheless.

tri
Doesn't bookbub cost like $700 or something?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It would be more inviting if the terms ebook and e-publishing weren't allowed to be constantly misused as though they were synonymous with self publishing. :)

We don't "allow" it.

I point out the difference whenever I see the terms being misused, as do many other AW members.

When I see a self publishing thread in the e publishing room I move it to the right place, and vice versa.

I'm not going to start moving established, older threads as it would cause problems with the database: but if you spot any new threads which should be moved, do please report the thread. It would be a big help.

That is what gets on my nerves about this section. It is a misuse of terms when most books by trade publishers are put into eBook these days, and when there are so many digital first and digital only publishers and new imprints of big publishers.
I go to another board where e-publishing and self-publishing are separate categories, but when I suggested a few months back that the two should be separated here I got flamed by someone.
icon9.gif

The two are separated here, Ginger: we have separate rooms for the two subjects.

I don't remember you getting flamed but you know the ropes if it happens again: report the posts.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Well my issue is just with misuse of the term.
In the spirit of this thread, I will say Wicked Wonderland's Amazon rank is currently higher than it has been since January (which was one month after it was released) It is a Christmas themed book and so far my only full length novel so I'm grateful that people have kept buying it throughout the year at all.:) My print release is in November. I'm hopeful promotion for the print release will spark more sales of the eBook.

Last edited:

sarahdalton

Banned
Reaction score
Doesn't bookbub cost like $700 or something?

It depends on the category. Go check them out. :)

I think I owe most of my sales since February to Bookbub to be honest. Without them I never would have got into the Amazon subcategories.

Arpeggio

Registered
Reaction score
We didn't start getting reviews on our months until... I don't know, weeks or months after we hit publish. Most of our stuff still doesn't have reviews, and I think it's like... .5% of readers would review or something? It's ridiculously low.

By admission of the major 3rd-party review services, 1% of purchasers are going to bother to write a review.

In contrast, according to Nielsen 70% of customers rely on consumer opinions posted online.

MartinD

Thought I'd stop by
Registered
Reaction score
By admission of the major 3rd-party review services, 1% of purchasers are going to bother to write a review.

In contrast, according to Nielsen 70% of customers rely on consumer opinions posted online.

Those are disappointing numbers. I try to review honestly but I have to be stirred by what I'm reading to make the effort. I've learned that negative Amazon reviews (apparently, anything less than four stars) aren't welcomed by the authors or their fan bases.

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
I've learned that negative Amazon reviews (apparently, anything less than four stars) aren't welcomed by the authors or their fan bases.

Only crazy authors and their fan bases.

Most of us are happy to get any review at all, I assure you. My absolute favourite review someone left on one of my books is a 3* review. I've also enjoyed some of my 2* and 1* reviews. But in any case, reviews are for other readers and potential customers. It doesn't matter whether the author hates them or loves them.

MandyHarbin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mandyharbin.com
Well, I was first published by digital first publishers (i.e. Ellora's Cave), and after the debacle at one of my other digital first publishers (now defunct), I decided to take my Y/A through N/A series the indie route. It's that series I want to brag about.

In August I had my first 5-figure earnings because of it. Book 1, Goddess Legacy (I wrote this series under the pen name M.W. Muse), reached number one in teen romance and at one point reach number 7 in the overall kindle store. I was even contacted by a major firm in L.A. about the film and television rights to it. Around the time I was penning my latest manuscript and subbed it to agents. Because of the success of the indie series, all but one agent (from my top list) asked for partials, then fulls, then I got several offers of representation. I was blown away. I got to vet the agents, talk to them and pick from my top list. I would have been honored to be repped by any of the them, but it was nice getting to pick.

I'm still a hybrid author. Each project I do I decide if it's best to be shopped by my agent, subbed to one of my existing editors, or self-published. But I like having that choice. It's a great time to be a writer. :)

JWNelson

JWNelson
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jwnelson.net
Pleased to receive a favorable review...

... from SoundSphereMag.com for the short story collection called "13: The Anthology," to which I contributed the lead story ("Thirteen").
The reviewer referred to my story in the following manner: "In one particularly notable example there is the utterly compelling characterisation of 13 as a convincing female lead, driving the narrative of the speaker forward.”
:snoopy:
This eclectic collection of short stories written by thirteen authors is available at Amazon.com and other online sellers as an e-book and a P.O.D. print book.
John

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
My book cracked the top 100 in the Kindle paid store for a few hours! It was fun while it lasted. :D

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #78 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
#1 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Disorders & Diseases > Cancer
#1 in Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Diseases & Physical Ailments > Cancer > Breast Cancer
#1 in Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Women's Health

This was after my listing on Bookbub for my Kindle sale ran on October 30th, so it wasn't typical. My ad has paid for itself and hopefully will lead to continued sales.

Nick Russell

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Very nice, Mclesh! Congratulations!

LovetoWrite

Registered
Reaction score
Just an update. I reviewed my total sales since July 2012 until December 2013 and I made roughly $2500 free and clear. It is only 98 pages, a short really. It was a joy to write and I'm happy. I do not promote my book and my family doesn't buy it. So the numbers mean more to me.

So I'm okay with my numbers, it was extra cash this past year that came in handy and people message me on facebook that they enjoyed it. I've read many times on other forums to never read your reviews, it will only upset you and never to respond. Good piece of advice. You can't please everyone and the ones I did please follow me on facebook.

SapphireGuardian

Registered
Reaction score
Website
igg.me
Since the beginning of the year, my book series, Crystal Shade is available on 6 continents, in 65 countries and via ~250 territorial and local retailers. My little book conquers the world. :) Plus, since January 15, the Hardcover edition of Crystal Shade: Angeni, Volume 1 is also available (The paperback edition was released two years earlier on the very same day.). But I believe this is a good start for 2014. Oh, and since yesterday I have a new editor.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad you're doing well, SapphireGuardian, but your website does not do you any favours. I can see that it's attractive and a lot of work has gone into it: but it's just not working as a sales tool, a promotional tool, or even as a way for people to find out more about you.

I really don't want to have to arrive at your home-page and then click once again to "enter" your site; I couldn't find any way to buy your book from (you could link to any one of those many retailers you say have it available); and I couldn't even find out what your name is, so that I could search for it myself on Amazon.

I also suspect it's flash-based, and therefore won't be indexed properly by Google--which will mean your readers can't actually find it if they go looking.

You might want to simplify it, and consider a more contemporary design.

SapphireGuardian

Registered
Reaction score
Website
igg.me
That website is a very old design, dates to 2011 and it was designed only for a short life time. It will be redesigned soon, for around the time when the next Crystal Shade story, Afterlight will come out on July 7.

In the meantime here is the back up list for all my retailers, Amazon links included (The hardcover edition is not yet listed as I haven't got the full list either from Ingram.).
https://www.facebook.com/notes/crystal-shade-angeni/crystal-shade-where-to-buy/511816235558391

Last edited: