Successfully Self Publishing Erotica

Zoe X. Rider

Registered
Reaction score
Website
zoexrider.tumblr.com
Not me. In March, I sold 93 ebooks on ARE and 70 on Amazon vs. 11 on Nook Press. (Plus 11 on Smashwords and 3 on Kobo. I didn't sell anything on A1AdultEbooks, Apple, or Google Play until this month. Lulu and XinXii are still big zeros.)

CrystalCierlak

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.crystalcierlak.com
This thread was so amazing to read through! I've been a longtime member here (but stopped posting while I was finishing my MA [and not really publishing anything]) and only just told friends that I wrote erotic romance. Anyway, I have one erom series that I had on KDP select for a while, then took them off and went to Smashwords and ARe. I kind of forgot about ARe until this thread, and when I went to check a few minutes ago discovered that I "sold" nearly 60 copies of the first in the series (Walk Away) so far this month. The book is set to free so I didn't make any money off of it (though that would have been nice), however there were no copies of the second book (Sorry) sold, so that's somewhat telling.

I'm getting ready to publish the first in a new series and the advice I've read here has just been incredible! I'm looking forward to hitting the publish button this week!

CharleeBeck

Registered
Reaction score
I think it's awesome that so many people put their books up for free. I was wondering about eventually putting my m/m stories up on Amazon, although I heard that a lot of the times Amazon can be expensive to list your book on. Is this true?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It's only costly if you pay someone else to do it. Otherwise it's free to list your book there, and whenever it sells you get paid a royalty on that sale.

CharleeBeck

Registered
Reaction score
oh, I must have just misunderstood then. They's awesome :) Is that where most of you have had the best luck?

M.N Thorne

Registered
Reaction score
oh, I must have just misunderstood then. They's awesome :) Is that where most of you have had the best luck?

CharleeBeck, I had most of my luck on Nook Press for some strange reason. My clients tend to enjoy Nook Press a lot more than Amazon.com.

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
Most of my luck has been on Amazon, but don't count out the smaller fish either. I sell quite a few at All Romance Ebooks (they have an erotica section, too) and a couple on Smashwords. I've also been exploring Google books.

Best to use all the outlets you can to get your book and name seen, IMO.

dchp1977

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm very much the noobie here, quite literally as I joined yesterday! This is an amazing thread, so many nice guys giving out great advice.

I have a question for those of you that self-publish on multiple sites, do you have to pay, or do all sites work on a percentage taking basis?

Many thanks,

DC

SierraLee

Boldly Nervous
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm very much the noobie here, quite literally as I joined yesterday! This is an amazing thread, so many nice guys giving out great advice.

I have a question for those of you that self-publish on multiple sites, do you have to pay, or do all sites work on a percentage taking basis?

Many thanks,

DC
I don't know of any sites where you have to pay to join/publish and I'd be skeptical of them - percentages are the norm. I can say for sure that they're the case for Amazon, Smashwords, and All Romance Ebooks, though I suppose there might be a legitimate website out there that's an exception.

dchp1977

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Sierra, Its early days at the moment but I'm hoping to self publish a few stories next year and just kinda finding my feet at the mo.

Love the website by they way..