Contractions in Erotica

acitore

I don't get the point of user title
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Erotica readers-
This is more of a grammar question, however it's specifically for my erotica short stories, so I'm posting it here. Hope to get a few responses.

I know that the grammar rule says no contractions in formal writing, including books (unless it's a conversation). I don't know if it's only me, but this really irritates me with my erotica writings. All of my writings have contractions and for the most part, when I read them without the contractions, it just doesn't seem to flow as well. With the severe decrease in writing skills among writers, journalists, etc., is this rule still stuck to and do you consider it important?

I happen to be an ESL teacher (English for foreigners) and I explain this rule many times to my students, but quite frankly don't know why it exists. Does anybody??

Thanks!

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
Doesn't apply to fiction. If contractions fit the style of your narrative voice, then use contractions.

Anna_Hedley

Fuelled by tea and crumpets.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. There's no reason not to use contractions in the narrative for fiction. A casual glance through my bookshelf shows me they're very common in published books.

As you said, if you don't use contractions your writing will often sound stilted.

jerrimander

No one takes me seriously. Really.
Registered
Reaction score
you'll sound like Data from star trek: the next generation. go with the flow, baby. go with the flow.

acitore

I don't get the point of user title
Registered
Reaction score
That is fantastic news! Didn't know it didn't apply to fiction. thanks all!

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I use contractions rampantly for my fiction and nonfiction. I don't think that rule has applied for at least 50 years.

Thomas Vail

What?
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if it's only me, but this really irritates me

If a rule or convention interferes with the telling of a story or detracts from making it enjoyable to read, it's never a mistake to bend, break, or ignore it.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I know that the grammar rule says no contractions in formal writing, including books (unless it's a conversation).

Narratives in fiction are not considered "formal writing".

Heck, even creative essays often eschew this.

Jacob_Wallace

Registered
Reaction score
Not to be rude or anything, but have you really just never read a fictional book in your life? They have contractions all the time.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The no-contractions rule is pretty much limited to the more formal aspects of academic writing these days. Some academic journals and dissertation committees don't want to see them, for instance, while others are fine with it.

Maryn, who loves 'em

TuckerMcCallahan

Insufferable Know-It-All
Registered
Reaction score
Academia

The no-contractions rule is pretty much limited to the more formal aspects of academic writing these days. Some academic journals and dissertation committees don't want to see them, for instance, while others are fine with it.

Maryn, who loves 'em

Maryn is quite correct. My brother just finished his PhD, for which I served as editor, and he was not permitted to use contractions at all. His department chair and the doctoral committee agreed they detract from the scholarly air of the publication. I do not believe this convention exists outside the ivory tower of academia, though. :D

HelenJP

Registered
Reaction score
Website
helenjperry.wordpress.com
Narratives in fiction are not considered "formal writing".

Heck, even creative essays often eschew this.
I agree with this point.
Use contractions if you want to, especially in first person narrative.

I avoid contractions myself. I think it is more of an English thing (and perhaps my age) I don't really like to see them in anything other than speech (and forum postings, which are like chatting). It is my impression that American's are far happier with contractions even in formal and factual writing.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
It is my impression that American's are far happier with contractions even in formal and factual writing.

I don't know so much. :) There seems little cultural difference when it comes to usage. Sometimes aspiring authors will see contraction use as way of defining class and schooling, when mostly it's just defining emphasis. You will not V you won't. Both will be used depending on context. Narrative should ideally reflect that diversity.

jerrimander

Registered
Reaction score
one point I haven't seen brought up: the original post specifically asked about contractions in erotica. a genre not known for it's formality.

Do not stop! she cried. ~versus~ Don't stop! she cried.

contract away, acitore!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
'Yes, Mistress, you are my owner and I am to obey!"

Maryn, unable to resist

TuckerMcCallahan

Insufferable Know-It-All
Registered
Reaction score
'Yes, Mistress, you are my owner and I am to obey!"

Maryn, unable to resist

Oh I misunderstood... CONTRACTIONS in erotica?? Oh the terrific and terrible pun that *springs* to mind...

By all means, contract. Contract away. Contract, and clench, and clamp, and tighten, and then if things are close enough... Come to a full stop.

~ Tux, who now needs a cigarette and a wet nap

jerrimander

Registered
Reaction score
Oh I misunderstood... CONTRACTIONS in erotica?? Oh the terrific and terrible pun that *springs* to mind...

By all means, contract. Contract away. Contract, and clench, and clamp, and tighten, and then if things are close enough... Come to a full stop.

~ Tux, who now needs a cigarette and a wet nap

Yeah, baby.

Ahem.

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Acitor, I sympathize with you on teaching the ELL stuff. I was in a second grade class this morning and they were having a difficult time with possessive pronouns and plural words. Then again, they are only second grade and leaning EFL, so I can understand their trepidation. Sometimes it is harder to get a concept across to the little ones. But lord love them, they try. Anyway, I am also a student, and they beat you over the head with a grammar book if you contract in an essay. If you mess up a citation, they beat you upside the head with a citation guide. :p Many a time have I messed up citation. Anyway, contractions are certainly not an issue in fiction writing. Jerrimander is right, you would sound like a robot if you didn't use contractions. So contract away, lol.