Question about Short Stories

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Hello, hello fellow writers. I was just moseying through and I was just wondering, do publishers like books of short stories in this genre? Or are their any magazines that publish erotica stories? What I mostly write is the m/m stuff, but I was wondering if there would even be a place for it if I get things going. So would there be a place out there for it in traditional publishing? And if not, how easy is it to self-publish? When I get things going, I will post some stuff in SYW, but right now, it's not ready. Anyway, let me know!! Cheers all!!

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Erotica seems to be different in a lot of ways (based on what I've seen here at AW; I've never tried to sell any of mine), but it is usually difficult for a writer to publish a compilation of previously unpublished short stories unless it's through self-publishing. The good news is there seems to be a thriving market for short erotica. More good news is that self publishing is easier than ever, but unless you are good at marketing (and many people are) it can be a very tough business.

For my short stories, I'm focusing on getting them published individually before I think about selling an anthology. But I don't write erotica, so things might be different here.

kimberlyFDR

Working On The Publishing Dream
Registered
Reaction score
Please forgive me if you know these suggestions already.

Hello, hello fellow writers. I was just moseying through and I was just wondering, do publishers like books of short stories in this genre?

One-author collections or submitting as part of an anthology. The prior, some publishers do put out collections of well-established authors, but for new writers anthologies are the way to go. I often publish in anthologies in between writing novels and have been really successful over the years. It's helped me establish my writing name and now that I'm subbing one of my novels that happens to fall within the genre I get bumped to the front of the submissions review line.

Or are their any magazines that publish erotica stories?

I know of three off the top of my head that have current calls for submissions (there may be more, but I don't do magazines). A good resource for you is the Calls for Subs listing on the Erotica Readers and Writers Association page (http://www.erotica-readers.com/ERA/AR/Erotica_Authors_Resources.htm) That would give you a place to start and become familiar with the different requirements for publishers and magazines in this genre.

What I mostly write is the m/m stuff, but I was wondering if there would even be a place for it if I get things going. So would there be a place out there for it in traditional publishing?

I write mainly m/m, too (though I'm trying to push more transgender fiction as of late because there's not enough published, I think). LGBT fiction is a great genre that needs more writers.

And if not, how easy is it to self-publish? When I get things going, I will post some stuff in SYW, but right now, it's not ready. Anyway, let me know!! Cheers all!!

My honest opinion...self-publishing erotica is not going to get you much attention unless you market the heck out of it on your own. There's SO MUCH self-published (ranging from really good to really bad) that writers often get lost in the pile. With a good publisher behind you, the marketing load will be eased a bit because you have someone else in your corner helping to get the word out, with connections.

Best of luck with your writing! And feel free to ask more questions if you have them.