Memoirs without subtitles. Opinions?

pinkrobot

I poke badgers with spoons
Registered
Reaction score
Website
impossiblewords.wordpress.com
I'm getting ready to start the self-publishing process for my second book. It's a memoir currently titled "Comma," which is the title of a "chapter" of the book that essentially captures the essence of the entire work.

Here's where I'm stuck. In browsing the recent years' published memoirs, it seems as though they all have subtitles that explain more of what they are about. To me it seems kind of silly. Novels don't typically have subtitles. Yet people still tend to read the first page or the back cover, or whatever it is that helps them decide whether or not to read it. Does it seem like a mistake to title a memoir without using a subtitle? I'd really prefer not to unless the general consensus is that I should.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

With a title like Comma, people will have no clue what the book is. A grammar book? How boring! A weirdo novel? Well maybe. Memoir isn't what people will think. I'd suggest adding "A Memoir" to help people at least mentally figure out the genre.

I've found that interest in my memoir by agents has increased considerably since I've added a subtitle. I didn't want to have one at first either, but now I do.

None of this is to say that you can't have just the word Comma on the title page (plus your name of course). But do consider how confusing it's going to get if you don't give your potential readers a clue as to what they're picking up.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I'd agree that at the very least "A Memoir" would be useful, but as a reader, yeah, I think I'd prefer a little more. It's essentially free advertising, so why not use it?

susangpyp

Registered
Reaction score
I would definitely pass on a book called, "Comma," without more.

SunshineonMe

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
My books don't have a subtitle (even though they show one here), but my first one did start out with one. I think yours might need something, since Comma is a bit ambiguous. What is it about, by the way?