• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The Bindery Agency (formerly Alexander Field L.A.)

arkady

Registered
Reaction score
I thought about querying Mr. Fields, but then I read on his blog that he's planning to do the agent thing evenings and weekends while also writing a novel and working for the other publisher. It seems like he has very good intentions, but that he might be stretching himself a little too thin.

My concern is that, if he did offer representation, the agenting business eventually would prove to be too much and my novel would get pushed to the side.

Same here. His interests definitely would encompass my ms., but it makes me uneasy to put my book's fate in the hands of someone who only wears an agent's hat "on the weekends and in the evenings in the wee hours."

We are often cautioned that "a bad agent is better than no agent at all," and, though I certainly don't think Alexander Fields can be described as "bad," I fear that he may not be in a position to be as effective as we might wish.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I woke up to find a full request from Alex in my inbox! He requests hardcopy fulls, so I'll pop it in the mail today or Thursday, and will let you all know the response time. That was an uber-fast partial read.

Congrats! Great news. Let us know how it goes!

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Geez!! For that, you could buy a printer and almost buy the paper too!

Yes...when I read that total I glanced over at my printer full of paper and thought, "GAH! I'm in the wrong business."

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Well. I got my rejection tonight. I just cannot get an agent to look at this piece of ****. Oh well. It got me to Africa and it got me a muskoka chair. Maybe asking for publication is a bit much.

Laura Lond

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the R KTC. :( Did you include sample pages?

And no, I don't think publication is too much to ask. Keep going. I have sent out 90+ queries with very little results - until today, when two full requests came in. So you never know!

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
No. I did not include sample pages.

I just saw in the other thread that you got a request from Mr. Field. Congrats!

Laura Lond

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! [blush]

I did not include sample pages either, just a query. As I said, you never know. I've been rejected before both on query alone and query w/ sample pages.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Thanks! [blush]

I did not include sample pages either, just a query. As I said, you never know. I've been rejected before both on query alone and query w/ sample pages.

Me too. I have 3 fulls out...but I can't get a single bite on this fourth one. Maybe I have to rehaul the query.

Miguelito

Filled with optimism. And scotch.
Registered
Reaction score
He liked my query enough to ask for the full and I just sent out the manuscript. He says that wait times are on the order of weeks.

But I'm not holding my breath. Too many manuscripts in this world to get my hopes up anymore.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
KTC, unless an agent specifically says no pages, always send them (pasted, not as an attachment). Especially in your case, because you write so nicely.

Don't worry, sooner or later someone will say yes.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Thank you, Judg...that's very kind of you. I will remember that next time.

steampunk

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Just adding my stats, June 3 sent a query and got my rejection June 11 via email.

tbrosz

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Queried on June 6th, rejected June 17th.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Just received a full request from Mr. Field at 1:30 am. Apparently, he keeps the same hours I do. Just as an FYI, he requested the full as a WORD or PDF attachment.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Last edited:

Laura Lond

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations mscelina!!

(I keep the same hours as well, perhaps I should check my email, LOL! :) I'm in the waiting game, too.)

Last edited:

karo.ambrose

._.
Registered
Reaction score
Alex passed on my partial, saying pretty much what every other agent says: funny, original, but not saleable. ug.

*continues work on next project*

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
I ended up querying Alex myself, seeing as I parted ways with my former agent. He's the one who requested the full. I haven't heard from him if he's received it or not yet.

It was really pretty weird, because I had no idea I would do that when I started this thread.

stevewed

Aspiring Reader
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steveweddle.com
I ended up querying Alex myself, seeing as I parted ways with my former agent. He's the one who requested the full. I haven't heard from him if he's received it or not yet.

It was really pretty weird, because I had no idea I would do that when I started this thread.

Good luck, Judg

Laura Lond

Registered
Reaction score
I got an R from Alex last night, less than 3 weeks after he had requested my full, so he is rather quick. He had some very nice things to say about my book, but, well, it is still a No.

Good luck everyone!

Judg, I saw it in your sig that you had to part with your agent; I'm sorry. I wanted to ask what happened, but I was not sure it would be appropriate to ask. PM me if you don't mind sharing.