• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Weird Tales Magazine

Darkwing

This is a very sad example of how an idiot with a lot of money can completely ruin something that was pretty awesome before he got his grubby paws on it.

This self-published piece of racist crap he has been defending isn't even well-written. Complete drivel that was never meant to see publication, and the fact that he thinks it's amazing shows how ill-prepared he is for being an owner or editor of a major, respected magazine.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Damn shame. Getting a WT acceptance has been on my bucket list for a long time. I guess I've got to reconsider.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
WT isn't the same since Mary Robinette Kowal and Ann VanderMeer stopped steering it when the new owners took over.

I'd take a look at Shimmer instead--now paying pro rates.
I haven't looked at it lately--actually since I heard Ann VanderMeer left--but she certainly did a wonderful job bringing it back. I guess we'll have to see what happens from here on.

But, yeah, there are lots of 'zines out there, many of which pay pro rates.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I'd love to hear from the new Weird Tales folks. I'm curious as to how they plan to bring credibility back to the magazine after this. Do they have any idea how incredibly disappointing this all is to so many people who have followed that publication for years and years?

Blarg

Banned
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like it. Getting rid of the people who won the magazine the Hugo doesn't sound like the act of a management team with much perspective.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Per the comment thread on the WT website, the editor, MK, has been personally emailing people who asked to pull their mag subscriptions and saying the publisher would arrange for that; Foyt's book was a 'powerful attack on racism' but the marketing was in bad taste and that's why they decided not to publish the chapter; and something about MK being forced by Tor to include an OSC story in a book (??).

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Weird Tales is currently closed to fiction submissions.

Clueless question: what does it mean to own a magazine's catalog?
Jeremy Zweig is the vice president of corporate communications at Viacom. Via email, he confirmed that his company owns the Weird Tales catalog. "I can confirm that we have owned the Weird Tales catalog since 2008, but I'm not in a position to disclose what the status of the project is today." He also pointed out there is someone "who leads the effort for this property."

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
They sent me a nice bland email yesterday after I pulled my submission. I'd only said I was pulling 'for revision' and didn't mention the Foyt fracas. Ann was still at the magazine when I pulled my story and I wanted to keep doors open. They wished me best of luck, and asked me to check back in a few months.

Guess not.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The company that owns the publishing rights/reprint rights to the stories is said to own the catalog.
Is that likely to include TV/movie rights? (The article read as if they planned to make the stories into TV shows or something.)

Julio Weigend

Registered
Reaction score
What's the latest scoop on Weird Tales?

I just noticed that Weird Tales is no longer listed at Ralan.com as a paying market (or listed at all, for that matter). Is this a response to the "Save the Pearls" fiasco that happened a while ago? Despite the growing unpopularity of the magazine as a result of that issue, I still wish to publish there some day because, while I did like VanDerMeer's version of WT, the new editor seems to be bringing it back to its roots, which I personally find to be a more preferable direction for that market in particular.

I'm just wondering if Weird Tales is even a legit publication anymore, or if it's been completely smeared by the incident. Would this be comparable to Writers of the Future's association with scientology? I heard certain contest winners there become ineligible for awards like the Hugo or the Stoker, but I haven't been able to confirm that.

Is WT really that messed up (rep-wise, I mean), or is this just Ralan being personally offended by it?

(P.S. Sorry! I realize that there used to be a thread about Weird Tales on here already, but I could not find it. Feel free to merge this with the other thread if you deem it necessary.)

Last edited:

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
They're listed on Duotrope as being temporarily closed to fiction and poetry subs, but still open to nonfiction. From what I see over there, it definitely looks to be alive and kicking (just taking a submission break).

Hope this helps!

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Would this be comparable to Writers of the Future's association with scientology? I heard certain contest winners there become illegible for awards like the Hugo or the Stoker, but I haven't been able to confirm that.

I don't mean to derail, but where did you hear that? I know some people are wary of WOTF's association with Scientology, but I've never heard anything like that.

Several WOTF winners have gone on to be nominated for or win Hugo awards, including James Alan Gardner, Dave Wolverton, Jay Lake, Jim C. Hines, Robert Reed, and probably many more. And Bruce Holland Rogers won a Stoker, I believe.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
I just noticed that Weird Tales is no longer listed at Ralan.com as a paying market (or listed at all, for that matter). Is this a response to the "Save the Pearls" fiasco that happened a while ago? Despite the growing unpopularity of the magazine as a result of that issue, I still wish to publish there some day because, while I did like VanDerMeer's version of WT, the new editor seems to be bringing it back to its roots, which I personally find to be a more preferable direction for that market in particular.

I'm just wondering if Weird Tales is even a legit publication anymore, or if it's been completely smeared by the incident. Would this be comparable to Writers of the Future's association with scientology? I heard certain contest winners there become illegible for awards like the Hugo or the Stoker, but I haven't been able to confirm that.

Is WT really that messed up (rep-wise, I mean), or is this just Ralan being personally offended by it?

(P.S. Sorry! I realize that there used to be a thread about Weird Tales on here already, but I could not find it. Feel free to merge this with the other thread if you deem it necessary.)

They opened to fiction subs for about a month a while back, got swamped and closed again. Since then, there's been no word at all.

The fact that they're not on Ralan any more is probably just a mistake on Ralan's part.

Julio Weigend

Registered
Reaction score
I don't mean to derail, but where did you hear that? I know some people are wary of WOTF's association with Scientology, but I've never heard anything like that.

Several WOTF winners have gone on to be nominated for or win Hugo awards, including James Alan Gardner, Dave Wolverton, Jay Lake, Jim C. Hines, Robert Reed, and probably many more. And Bruce Holland Rogers won a Stoker, I believe.

I honestly don't remember. This was at least two years ago, and I remember having gotten the gist that it had been an isolated incident (which had sparked some measure of debate in the site I found it at, I believe, about the moral issues surrounding people's judgment/perceptions of WOTF). It may not have even been the Stoker--could have been some other prestigious award. It also could have been a load of crap. :)

MJNL

A Little Lost
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lostetter.wordpress.com
I honestly don't remember. This was at least two years ago, and I remember having gotten the gist that it had been an isolated incident (which had sparked some measure of debate in the site I found it at, I believe, about the moral issues surrounding people's judgment/perceptions of WOTF). It may not have even been the Stoker--could have been some other prestigious award. It also could have been a load of crap. :)

As a recent WotF winner who researched the contest extensively before I entered, I vote load of crap.

But, that's a derail. I do not know the current status of Weird Tales. Besides the "Pearls" strangeness there was also an issue with writers requesting their work be pulled and the publisher agreeing only to later send edits as though the writer had not withdrawn. It could have been a record keeping snafu, but whatever the reason came across as very unprofessional.

Last edited:

Taran

Registered
Reaction score
Website
onelastsketch.wordpress.com
A little update after one of the contributing editors at Weird Tales called me a whiner for for pointing out their erratic submission windows. It seems a few months ago the editors were dumping previously accepted stories to "make room" for a new round of submissions.

"My own latest shock came in an email from Marvin Kaye earlier this month in which he welshed on his acceptance of the two stories he was going to run in his magazine."

Source: http://adventuresfantastic.blogspot.ca/2013/07/further-thoughts-on-marvin-kaye-and.html

According to the editor mentioned above, seven stories were treated in this fashion (The post in question is here).

This strikes me as an...unorthodox practice.

As well, apologies if this has been mentioned before. I searched the site and found nothing.

Last edited:

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
This strikes me as an...unorthodox practice.

That's a pretty good description of Weird Tales since the changeover. It's had a number of odd decisions, that smack of general lack of professionalism. It's not that they had one mistake, everything else has been roses, and people are just being mean by backing away. I imagine if they have been delisted anywhere, it was due to sending back accepted stories to reopen to subs, as that directly impacts writers looking to submit.