• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Uncial Press

Elektra

Don't Call Me Sweetheart
Registered
Reaction score
Anybody know anything about these guys?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
It's an e-book publisher.

Have you ever read any of their books? Have any of your friends ever read any of them?

Next thing to do: take the copy of their contract. Print it out. Highlight those things that the author must do or supply, then highlight (in a different color) the things that the publisher must do or supply.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Looks like an e-self-publisher turned e-publisher. I keep an eye on the romance epub area and haven't heard of them until now.

Elektra

Don't Call Me Sweetheart
Registered
Reaction score
It seems they just started this month. Their contract is very author-friendly--the only thing the author is required to supply is the copyright registration, and in all events rights transfer back to the author.

However, I always hear about e-publishers going under. Are there any warning signs to look out for?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
They do not infact require you to register if you opt not to and accept responsibility--this may not be a wonderful clause but it is common in epublishing.

Epublsihers do go under, more commonly they can go on for years but sell only a handful of books. I suggest shoppign around, making a short list of publishers and asking the gals and guys in the romance subforum which ones they would recommend.

I see nothing overtly wrong with uncial but might their be others you should try first?

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
Now that they've been around for a few months, and seem to have quite a few books out, does anyone have any experience, more information, or opinions on them? Thanks!

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
They look about the same to me. A publisher run by un-named people in a crowded market place of romance e-publishing (with a side line in other genres) and still attracting negligible attention. I would suggest asking their authors if they are selling any books at all.

Villiers.V

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Anyone heard of this publisher?

What do you think of Uncial Press? Worthwhile submiting to or what?

Villiers.V

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
This from the Piers Anthony site:

UNCIAL PRESS - I understand that this is a startup founded by two competent editors from Awe-Struck. It will release its first titles on October 2006. Present needs are for Georgian, Regency, Victorian, and Western American Historical Romance, Fantasy/Paranormal, mysteries, and nonfiction books and humor. Query if you have something else; they might be interested. They hope to respond to all manuscripts within 60 days; nag them if they don't. Royalties are 42% on books sold from the publisher's site, less otherwise. They have a sample contract, and it has an audit clause.
http://www.hipiers.com/publishing.html#U1

Last edited:

black13

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lynneconnolly.com
I have one book with Uncial. Not terrific numbers but a good solid publisher that has opted for natural growth, rather than forcing it and maybe finding itself in the same situation as other small epubs. Certainly never been a self publishing unit.

Lynne Connolly

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Bump

Just wondering if there is anyone with any new info about this publisher. I got an invitation from them to query after they have read a pubbed book of mine.

J.B.Kantt

Debut Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jbkantt.blogspot.com
Bump again. Does anyone have any new info about Uncial Press?

Bump

Just wondering if there is anyone with any new info about this publisher. I got an invitation from them to query after they have read a pubbed book of mine.

Sheadakota, did you end up querying them?

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
They actually contacted me. I was a little hesitant at first, but they picked up 5 of my books that the rights were reverted back to me, and another not yet published. Their editor is amazing. They are a small press and only publish two books a month, but that means you get a, lot of attention when it's your turn. I'm not getting rich but that wasn't my expectation. I'm glad I decided to go with them.

J.B.Kantt

Debut Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jbkantt.blogspot.com
They actually contacted me. I was a little hesitant at first, but they picked up 5 of my books that the rights were reverted back to me, and another not yet published. Their editor is amazing. They are a small press and only publish two books a month, but that means you get a, lot of attention when it's your turn. I'm not getting rich but that wasn't my expectation. I'm glad I decided to go with them.

That's awesome, sheadakota. Congrats! :)

carmen capuano

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I decided to sign up with them. My book Ascension is due out in February. So far their Editor, Jude, has been absolutely fantastic to work with. Keep your fingers crossed the sales will be equally good!

lorwish

Registered
Reaction score
So glad to hear such positive feedback on Uncial Press! I queried them in mid-August and just got offered a contract. I like the looks of their catalog and their editor seems very nice and knowledgeable as well. I don't expect to get rich off this, by any means, but I haven't been ready to turn to self-publishing so I'm please to get the offer.

Round Two

Behind the door of a small house.
Registered
Reaction score
So glad to hear such positive feedback on Uncial Press! I queried them in mid-August and just got offered a contract. I like the looks of their catalog and their editor seems very nice and knowledgeable as well. I don't expect to get rich off this, by any means, but I haven't been ready to turn to self-publishing so I'm please to get the offer.

Not for nothing, but if you look at the Amazon sales ranks for the most recent authors on this thread who have books out from Uncial, you might ask yourself how effective they are at selling books. Sales ranks are in the millions and most of the Uncial Press books have only 1-3 reviews.

It's theoretically possible books are being sold elsewhere, but if Amazon is a big part of their sales channeling, then it doesn't look like more than a handful of each book are being sold.

Have they provided you with average sales numbers?