• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Nelson Literary Agency, LLC (Kristin Nelson)

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
she was fast.
i got a request for 30 pages
2 days after my equery. and
a rejection 4 days after that.

quick and not overly painful.

johnrobison

A Free Range Aspergian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnrobison.com
Kristen is not my agent, but I've heard nothing but good things about her. And when I was in Denver last fall I had dinner with her and publicity consultant Bella Stander. Both of them are sharp and to be recommended.

JamieFord

giving resonant directions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieford.com
Kristin is my agent.

When I was querying I had other offers of representation, all by NYC-based reps. After talking to each one and checking references, I chose Kristin and have never looked back. What you read from her blog is exactly what you get--driven, passionate, hard-working, well-connected, well-respected--and relentlessly nice. (But don't think that she's a push-over, because she tough in the trenches, but she's tough with a smile).

Caromora--did you hear back?

Last edited:

Mythica

Expert Gerbil Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.courtneyallisonmoulton.com
I received a partial request nine days after I e-queried, so that is a great response time I think. I adore her blog and it's definitely one I check every day! She sounds super smart and savvy. She seems to really love her work. It would be fantastic to have someone with her enthusiasm as an agent! :D

Prevostprincess

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.queenoftheroadthebook.com
I had dinner with her, author consultant extraordinaire Bella Stander and 2 other authors (our own John Robison and Kim Reid) recently (Kristen is not my agent) and she's as nice as she appears on her blog, but you can just tell she's sharp and can transform into a pit bull when needed.

Good luck!

Mythica

Expert Gerbil Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.courtneyallisonmoulton.com
That's exciting! How many pages did she request for the partial?

Thank you! (and I write about vampires, so it's amazing for anyone to give me a second look LOL) She asked for the first 30-35 pages and no synopsis. I had to log into their submissions database and submit electronically instead of sending an email attachment. Great system, IMO.

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
katrina, she asks for the first 30 pages.
don't do what i do and include the prologue.
she digs them not.

Marva

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, too bad she didn't catch the wonderful and amazing subtleties of my juvie fantasy. Some lucky agent will catch on. Maybe. Sometime. I hope.

Kaybi

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Submitted a query to her and got a request for the first 30 pages. I am excited and I am letting myself dream big...I know I know...everyone says not to get your hopes up but incase I get rejected I have a box of See's chocolates on standby. So now I am starring at the box of chocolates waiting for the reply.

Bishop

American Seanchai
Registered
Reaction score
I queried her before and was politely declined. Then I bought some self editing books and completely revised my ms, then sent her an e-mail explaining that I'd revised it and that if it was the story she wasn't interested in, sorry for taking her time, if it was the writing perhaps she'd like to see it again. She requested the pages again.

Haven't heard anything back, been about a week. I think no quick response might be a good thing, but reading her blog she looks busy. Trying not to get my hopes up too much... It's nice that she's looking for fantasy since that's my genre. :)

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
Seems like a great agent. Queried her twice, rejected both times. lol. Disappointing but that's life, eh?

Alexandra Little

What a desolation.
Registered
Reaction score
She just had a sweet little deal announced in Publisher's Marketplace, pretty much cementing her on my list of agents to query.

Kaybi

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
the chocolate is gone

ahh me, rejection.
My box of See's chocolate is gone. I have sent out multiple queries and I am saving each and every rejection. One day they will see their mistake and I am going to remember their names.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
LOL, Kaybi, and do what? Ram a See's chocolate toffee up their nose?

Bad idea. Instead, send them air-express to my address.

Anyone wishing to query Ms. Nelson, she makes it pretty clear on her blog that her sales have been mainly in YA, chick lit (though they say that genre is dead), and women's fic. She doesn't want to discuss inspirational fiction at all, and doesn't sound like she'd be heart-thumped on a straight contemporary romance.

My take.

Send the See's and nobody gets hurt.

Sakamonda

Registered
Reaction score
Chick lit isn't necessarily dead, but it's definitely much harder to sell these days. You've got to have a very unique "hook" to sell chick lit now (i.e., a setting/storyline that absolutely nobody else has done). As an example, my own agent (not Kristin Nelson) is really looking for a "chick lit book about a stripper" right now.

I have corresponded with Kristin myself and she is a class act. One of the best agents out there for women's fiction, hands down.