First half of manuscript after you've sent first 20 pages?

latourdumoine

Where nightmares continously breed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helsinkilives.wordpress.com
This might be a really stupid (because painfully obvious question), but if you sent the first twenty pages, and the agent then asks you to send the first half, you basically send the twenty pages again plus half the manuscript, right?

My head is still spinning as I literally just this very minute received the email, so please forgive what I'm sure is a very stupid question.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
First off, congratulations on the request!

Yes, include the first twenty pages in the first half. (I've never heard of this type of request, but I guess this person has their reason.)

Good luck. Crossing my fingers for you!

latourdumoine

Where nightmares continously breed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helsinkilives.wordpress.com
Thank you, guys. I'm playing it cool as in, let's see what happens, if it happens, it happens, if not, I've got more stuff to send :)

Definitely not sending stuff out today as it's late and I really don't want to mess this one up. And in my excitement I know I'll forget something, or send the wrong version or . . .

Which reminds me, the smart / done thing to do is to put something like requested: first half of NOVEL TITLE, right?

And you guys were fast! Wow!

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
That's bizarre to ask for only the first half. I've never heard of that before.

The best way to get the agent's attention is to reply to their e-mail request. Keep the title the same. In the body explain that it's the requested first half of NOVEL TITLE (strange name for a book) ;)

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
That's bizarre to ask for only the first half. I've never heard of that before.

Probably because there are writers who, when asked to send a partial, have no idea what a partial is. Maybe that agent got too many practically-the-whole-thing mss.

Or worse --the middle part.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The best way to get the agent's attention is to reply to their e-mail request. Keep the title the same. In the body explain that it's the requested first half of NOVEL TITLE (strange name for a book) ;)

Actually, do alter the subject of your email. As Drachen Jager said, you want to reply to the email with the request in it (for the agent's reference), but change the subject to reflect that you're sending requested materials.

Unless I get specific wording requested for the subject line (which sometimes happens), I always put "Requested Materials: TITLE OF BOOK", and either my name or the genre, or anything else the agent originally asked for in their query guidelines. The email looks identical to the original I sent, but "Query" is replaced with "Requested Materials."

It's the email equivalent of writing "REQUESTED MATERIALS" in sharpie on the front of a snail mail requested submission. Make it as easy as possible for the agent to find what they're looking for and pull it out of the flood.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
This might be a really stupid (because painfully obvious question), but if you sent the first twenty pages, and the agent then asks you to send the first half, you basically send the twenty pages again plus half the manuscript, right?

Right. Send the entire first half from page one as a unit.