need some R&R advice...

writerGDW

Registered
Reaction score
What do you do when an agent asks for an R&R and you have several other fulls out?

Do I let the R&R agent know there are others reading (she didn't ask)? Or do I revise just for her and let the other fulls play out how they may?

The R&R agent isn't asking for a rewrite...I'm willing to make the tweaks she suggested and see how it works. It just feels tricky making revisions with others reading the previous draft.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
There is no obligation to notify the agent that you have other fulls out unless they ask for an exclusive.

If the fixes sound good to you, then do them. If you think the fixes will make a really significant difference you can notify the agents with material that you're pulling the submission to revise, and re-submit later. Most agents are fine with that, they want to see your best work.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
Do you agree with her revision suggestions? Will they make the manuscript stronger and better? Are they changes that you want to make now that she's shown you the possibilities, or would you be making the changes just to please that particular agent?

If the changes will strengthen the book and make you happier with it, then there shouldn't be a problem implementing them, even if you end up getting an offer from a different agent. Especially since you said they're more like tweaks than actual rewriting.

If the R&R was asking for more significant rewriting, then I'd definitely hold off and see how the other agents respond before taking an axe to the MS.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
If you think the fixes will make a really significant difference you can notify the agents with material that you're pulling the submission to revise, and re-submit later. Most agents are fine with that, they want to see your best work.

Don't do this. It'll make a bad impression. You could be blowing a chance with an agent who's close to offering rep.

Make a copy of the MS prior to revising anything. If one of the other agents offers and doesn't like the changes, you can just stick with the original MS.

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
Don't do this. It'll make a bad impression.

Agreed that telling agents you're revising and to stop reading isn't a good idea. But if you complete the revision and it truly makes the book stronger, there's a polite and professional way to inform anyone who might have not read it already that your manuscript has been improved with the input of another reputable agent.

Unfortunately, I can't find the post, but Jessica at BookEnds blogged on this about a year ago, with a letter she'd received asking her to consider a revised full. She liked it because the author a) was professional b) made clear that the revisions were made due to an agent's request, and therefore it looked like someone else had interest and not just that the author was fickle and c) offered that of course, Jessica should read the original manuscript and not consider the revision at her discretion.

It seems to me, the more I read and hear, is that the one rule about submissions to agents is, just be professional about it. Don't railroad anyone into anything, but show yourself in the best light.

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
I had an R&R and the agent knew it was out with other agents. The offer still stands if I don't partner with another one and I can go back to her. It's a nice place to be.

KalenO

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.houseofegoandmadness.blogspot.com
Don't do this. It'll make a bad impression. You could be blowing a chance with an agent who's close to offering rep.

Make a copy of the MS prior to revising anything. If one of the other agents offers and doesn't like the changes, you can just stick with the original MS.

It depends on how committed you are to the revisions (and how extensive they are), I think. If an agent asks for an R&R, points out issues she has with a MS and you think of ways to resolve them - if you're absolutely certain the revisions would result in a stronger MS, then do you really want a different agent offering on a version of your story you're no longer comfortable with? What if they offer before you're done revising, you tell them what you're changing, and they tell you they prefer it as is. Even though you no longer look at that MS and see it as your best work, or what it could potentially be?

There's no one size fits all answer, but in general I think as long as you're honest, sincere, and truly desiring not to waste agents' time, they can see that and understand.

writerGDW

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. This is really helpful to read.

I don't want to pull my other submissions. I really like my ms as it stands now. These revision suggestions *could* make it stronger, but I won't really know until I get in there and start tweaking. And even then, what she's asking for is just adding some depth to some scenes. Nothing that will significantly alter the story (it's a memoir, so the story can't change much anyway).

My inclination is to keep a copy of the previous version and then create a revised version for this agent...and go from there. If the revised version trumps the earlier version, I can think about resubmitting to the other agents.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
If you agree with the revisions, go ahead make them and resubmit... If you don't agree with them, then don't do them. It's that simple.

Do not contact the other agents and say you are revising, chances are you will get some very quick rejections.