• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Assent Publishing / Ardent Books

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been out West quite a few times. Never had sex undersage, though. Sounds prickly.

Sage grows low to the ground as it is. I suppose I'm showing my age, but undersage just seems so complicated. If I'm handed a trowel during pre-game, I'm going to the movies.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Is the contract worded such that you can't turn down any future offers?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder that too, Kaitie. Because a publisher having a right of first refusal is not the same as a writer being obliged to accept any offer they might make.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Two big things to be concerned with. 1) They own publishing rights for the life of the copyright -- not an industry practice.
Actually, it is common industry practice. It's not a bad thing if there's a good reversion clause--but that's often not the case with dodgy presses. The grant of rights clause in a publishing contract always has to be considered together with the reversion clause.

I've gotten some pretty serious complaints about Assent and the quality of its services. My own suggestion to authors who are considering entering its contest for SF writers would be...don't.

- Victoria

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I've not read the contract so don't know how the clause which gives them the right of first refusal actually works: but in most of the contracts I've seen, such clauses only require you to offer them the book. It does not require you to accept any offers they might subsequently make for the book.

It could be that this contract does require that any offers are accepted: but it might not.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
In the small press around (they are a small press, yes?) even first offer is sufficiently inconvenient that I will pass on it. It is the sort of considerations due to a publisher who has substantially and effectively invested on one's career, not just one book.

Killarney Sheffield

Registered
Reaction score
Assent

I am an assent author, however have asked for my book back. I did not have to pay for any publishing services and did learn a bit from the marketing course provided. My discontent with the publisher is the lack of royalty statements, royalties and the basic lacking in communication, basically being ignored. I asked for my rights back a couple months ago, was told I should phone to should discuss it. I refused and have been ignored ever since. Also notices were received regularly by other Assent authors yet I consistently never received emails, and yes I checked my spam folder and queried the owner.

Denise Tanaka

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.drobarge.co
Assent Publishing

I am an author who signed a contract with Assent. I was named the grand prize winner of their 2013 Epic Fantasy contest, however, I have not received the prizes that were promised to me. I completed their required training program a year ago and I have complied with their suggestion to take additional sessions of marketing training. I've done everything they asked me to do by setting up a website, a social media presence, and a publicity plan. I attend Cons regularly and wish I could bring my book with me to promote! Still my book is in limbo - it has never come to an editor's desk. They continue to sit on my unpublished manuscript to this day. I have asked to be released from my contract, citing the clause that requires them to publish within 18 months, and they are stonewalling me.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Tell Writer Beware about your predicament; and perhaps take legal advice.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Yes; please contact me (Writer Beware): beware [at] sfwa.org. I've gotten other complaints about Assent, and I'd like to know about your experience. All information shared with Writer Beware is held in confidence.

- Victoria

Killarney Sheffield

Registered
Reaction score
Still fighting Assent

I am still trying to get my book back from Assent and get 2 yrs worth of outstanding royalty payments and statements. I have sent 5 emails and all have been ignored. I sent a new W8 form via mail and email and still have been ignored. I sent another letter of intent to sue this week and as of yet have heard nothing. I'm tired of being ignored. I have been contacted by other Assent authors who have been given their rights back yet have not gotten my book back or been responded to in any way.

Killarney Sheffield

Registered
Reaction score
Update: Finally heard from the head of Assent who cited the death of an ex as an excuse for stonewalling me for over a year. Thanked me for the new W8 form but did not say anything about sending out all my missing royalties and nothing about releasing my book. I replied to her reply and again asked for the book back and surprise surprise was ignored. Time to let the lawyer handle it.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Update: Finally heard from the head of Assent who cited the death of an ex as an excuse for stonewalling me for over a year. Thanked me for the new W8 form but did not say anything about sending out all my missing royalties and nothing about releasing my book. I replied to her reply and again asked for the book back and surprise surprise was ignored. Time to let the lawyer handle it.

Wow. I'm so sorry this has happened to you. I agree, time to turn this over to a lawyer. Good luck.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Site activity and publishing ceased in '15. TW/FB continued into '16, but none since.