• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Severed Press

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I do have a few questions:

What's a typical print run for the first printing of a Severed Press title? What's the initial sub like, on average?

How big is your sales force?

Do you pay royalties on net or on cover price?

What rights to you look to acquire - World, English, US only...? If World / other languages, how does your rights team operate?

Severed Press

Registered
Reaction score
I do have a few questions:

What's a typical print run for the first printing of a Severed Press title? What's the initial sub like, on average?

How big is your sales force?

Do you pay royalties on net or on cover price?

What rights to you look to acquire - World, English, US only...? If World / other languages, how does your rights team operate?

Hi Torgo,

As you may have seen already discussed, we use print on demand (POD) so there is no print run as such.

We do look to acquire world rights in all languages. We currently have several of our books placed with German publishers for translation.

Like most sections in our contracts this is up for discussion/negotiation.

We pay net on digital and cover on paper.

-Gary

Last edited:

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Hi Torgo,

As you may have seen already discussed, we use print on demand (POD) so there is no print run as such.

We do look to acquire world rights in all languages. We currently have several of our books placed with German publishers for translation.

Like most sections in our contracts this is up for discussion/negotiation.

-Gary

Ah, POD, yes. Sorry, there was some confusion upthread. So how do you about selling those books? Is it basically online retailers?

Severed Press

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, POD, yes. Sorry, there was some confusion upthread. So how do you about selling those books? Is it basically online retailers?

Mostly yes, and some specialty stores. The majority of our sales are eBooks though.

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
*Edit* Torgo started a normal discussion, and Severed Press have responded in kind. Normalization of the thread is happening; I'm bowing out for now, good night to everyone :)

Last edited:

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is brilliant, or a meltdown, or a brilliant meltdown, or merely a spasm of inadequacy, but it made me grin.

Me too.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It is very hard not to reply.

You just can't stay away. Ha!

Why the venomous attacks on a company that has done you no wrong or anyone else? Maybe you should be asking yourself what kind of person you are rather than making unfounded attacks on us?

I've made no attacks on your company, venomous or otherwise. I have, however, responded to your questions, and pointed out flaws in your reasoning and weaknesses in your business model.

It would be useful if you could respond to me in a similar fashion, instead of resorting to further ad hominem attacks.

like a politician you skirt around direct questions.

Tell me which of your questions I failed to answer and I'll respond as fully as I can. And I think that might be another ad hominem attack.

What various things have we got wrong? "All sorts of things" is not an answer!

Did you miss the rest of my comment?

Where have we claimed not to use POD? You dodged this question very well.

I didn't dodge this question at all: I even quoted the comment which led me to believe you didn't use digital printing.

Answer these without cherry picking quotes to suit your own trolling purposes.

Oh, dear.

I used quotes to answer your questions. And I think that's the fifth or sixth ad hominem attack you've made against me: wouldn't it be better if you just showed me how great your publishing house is?

I shall now endeavour to answer your questions.

Just for the record Brian Clegg is not one of our authors and never has been.

I thought you were going to ask me some questions.

Just for the record my real name is not Old Hack and it never has been.

No we do not censor authors.
Yes we are a small press.
Yes we do use POD.
Yes we promote our business and our books.
No, like most small press we do not have a sales force on the road. We have never claimed to.

So, we are proud of being a small independent publisher that uses POD and digital, that does right by its authors and uses all means at our disposal to promote our books and our small community of authors.

I refer you to my previous comment in this thread.

Where are the questions you said you were going to ask me?

So, I tell you what Old Hack, forget the other questions that you probably cant answer,

What other questions?

and just tell me...Why the hate?

Give me one good reason. Something horrible or dishonest that we have done.

Just one?

What hate?

You're doing something horrible and dishonest right here: you're insinuating that my previous post was fuelled by malice, and that I am holding a grudge against you, when all I've done is respond to your questions and explain the implications of your business model. You're trying to discredit me by misrepresenting me.

That's really low.

Let me remind you of something I wrote in my previous comment:

If you're not happy with any of the posts in this thread then you're welcome to use the "report post" button, to bring it to the attention of the appropriate moderators. (The "report post" button is the red triangle with an exclamation mark inside it.)

But please recognise that asking reasonable questions and providing informed and polite opinion is not at all the same as trolling. I understand that this thread must be difficult for you; but that doesn't mean that it's inappropriate for us to ask our questions or offer our opinions.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
This is not a public meltdown, as much as you would like that. It is merely me calling you on some BS statements you made about our company. BS statements that you constantly avoid dealing with or backing up. No more smoke and mirrors. Either tell everyone here where we lied about using POD or provide some meaningful evidence of author censoring. Or hey, I will cut you some slack, just some meaningful tidbit of a publisher behaving badly.

I've already explained to you my comment about your using or not using POD. I was as clear as I could be, and I even quoted the comments which led me to my conclusions. What else, precisely, do you require from me on this point?

I'm interested: why do you find the suggestion that you don't use POD so upsetting? I've explained to you the problems that I see with POD, because of its negative impact on sales: what is it about this business model that you consider so advantageous to publishers, writers or readers?

Moving on, I've already explained to you why I made my comment about censoring people. I'll quote it here to make the discussion easier to follow:

More worryingly, this publisher seems to have told some of the people posting in this thread to delete their comments. It would be better if the publisher had debated the points he didn't agree with, rather than censoring people: would you want to work with someone who thinks he has the right to tell you what you can and can't say in public? I wouldn't.

As I've said before, I was referring there to the comment at #29 on page 2 of this thread, which was written by a member called brianclegg, who then deleted that comment with a note, "Reason: Requested by publisher".

You then came along and said,

We have not censored or asked any author not to post or to delete any post.

With a little light Googling I discovered this negative review of a Severed Press book which says, among other things, that...

it is desperately crying out for a good professional edit...

There's a strong similarity between the reviewer's name and the name of the user who claims to have deleted his post here on your request. So while it might well be true that you "have not censored or asked any author not to post or to delete any post", it might also be true that you asked this reviewer to delete his post here.

If you did, it could be because you've since resolved some of the issues he found with your book, which he mentions in the review:

If you get a first edition of the book, the text is laid out very amateurishly (it just screams ‘self published’, although supposedly this has been in the hands of a publisher) with nowhere near enough white space or paragraph formatting. Now this has been significantly improved – the layout is much better.

I can understand why you'd prefer to have a review removed if it referred to problems which have now been resolved (although only some of the problems mentioned in the review were dealt with).

But even if that does explain what happened, you've still asked someone to delete their post here: and that really isn't appropriate.

I'd really like it if we could discuss things here, rather than arguing. It would be far more productive, and it would show your company in a much more positive light. But for that to happen you have to stop getting angry; and you have to recognise that it's fine for people to ask questions and offer their opinions and share their experiences.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
This press has been around since 2009, so they're out of the brand-new-startup window.

There have been some confusing statements, but I think most of those were made by random folks, not by an official company spokesperson.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I believe some confusion in this thread stemmed from an AUTHOR emphatically stating that POD was not used.
I understand the confusion. Back in the day you would often read the term POD on writers boards, used in a very disparaging way because vanity presses etc.. used POD. However I believe the time for looking down on POD has passed. These days there are a good number of very successful independent publishers that use POD. I myself was completely surprised to realize that big successful independent publishers like Ellora's Cave, Loose ID and Samhain, Entangled, Siren were using POD for the print books.
It is a different model, and while not as prestigious as a big New York print run arranged by an agent, the use of POD is far from a red flag against a publisher .
The fact is even some of the impressive agents these days are only getting authors digital only and digital first deals, for some clients, and digital first usually means POD if the book sells well enough in digital. This is really happening this is a big change happening in the last year, or two. All of the Big Five/Six publishers are starting digital first and digital only imprints except Simon and Shuster. They will be using POD for those books that sell well enough in ebook first. (Correction Simon and Shuster are too but their imprint is agent only unlike some of the others.)
So anyway, my point, POD is never in itself a red flag against a publisher anymore.
I have to say I may have missed one or two posts in this thread, but my general impression is that this is a small press making a small respectable name for itself in horror, according to the authors who have posted in the thread who seem happy.
Old Hack has some point about POD generally not leading to Big Sales, however people might disagree, but my impression is that imprints using POD are generally more focused on digital sales and have POD to please authors who like to see their books in print, AND to please fans who have a particular love for a book or author from a more digital focused press, and therefor would like it in print, as well as please the people who do not ever like to read e-books but are still interested in books from the independent digital focused presses.

(Oh and yes I do realize I am talking about romance publishers a lot, because that is what I know most about, however many of these publishers AND the Big Five are moving into using the digital first model. Samhain is having some success in selling fantasy, sci fi and horror in POD as well as romance and erotica. Carina has I believe been selling thrillers in POD with some success too? (Not sure)

Severed Press- Old Hack's agenda here and the agenda of the other admins is to protect writers and make sure they know what they are getting into with a press. This is a very author first board, which is a good thing because a lot of the rest of the world is not author first. There may have been some concern in this thread that you were misrepresenting yourselves as bigger than you are, but I think that confusion may have started because of the statements of a proud author who was mistaken for one of your staff.

Last edited:

Severed Press

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Ginger,

I know that forums like this are a great resource for authors and we support it whole heartedly. Without authors we wouldn't have a business and all we ask is that we are judged fairly on the way we conduct business with actual experience and facts.

Yes, POD books have to be priced higher which makes them less competitive. I agree that to say they don't sell well is a bit of generalisation. We have had great success with some of our titles reaching the top 10 in horror and we are not the only ones that have seen strong sales with POD.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
This would seem an excellent opportunity to give some of your authors "some props."

(And, you know, maybe sell a book or three.)

Who/what are some of your best selling authors/titles, please?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
There have been some confusing statements, but I think most of those were made by random folks, not by an official company spokesperson.

Agreed. I have tried to clear that up by explaining my part in this, but if you think I need to do anything more I'm happy to.

Back in the day you would often read the term POD on writers boards, used in a very disparaging way because vanity presses etc.. used POD. However I believe the time for looking down on POD has passed.

You're right that more and more presses are using digital printing; and I wouldn't dream of suggesting that anyone should look down on presses just because they use POD: but it's important to realise the full implications that this has for sales.

As I've already said, books which are digitally printed are too expensive for publishers to price them competitively while giving book sellers the discounts they require: consequently, presses which use POD are extremely unlikely to have full distribution (in the book trade sense), which means they'll never get into a significant number of bookshops, which means they'll miss out on a huge chunk of their sales, online and off.

Digitally printed books don't stand up to bookshop life very well either: they quickly go loose-looking, and while the covers don't curl as much as they used to they do still wear and scuff badly.

It becomes a catch-22 for a publisher: they can't afford to pay for an offset print run until their books sell in higher quantity; but their books won't sell in higher quantity until they produce them through an offset print run.

This has significant implications for writers, as it directly affects their sales (and therefore their income on this book), and their future career, as many publishers will check on the sales numbers of their existing books before offering them contracts on new books.

Oh and Old Hack has some point about POD generally not leading to Big Sales however people might disagree but my impression is that imprints using POD are generally more focused on digital sales

I think this is true: but I do wonder if they tend to be more focused on digital sales because they don't sell enough print copies due to the problems inherent in pricing and selling them under the POD model.

Severed Press Old Hack's agenda here and the agenda of the other admins is to protect writers and make sure they know what they are getting into with a press. This is a very author first board, which is a good thing because a lot of the rest of the world is not author first.

I agree with you on that, Ginger, except with the bit about admins. I am not an administrator here and everyone on AW should be thankful for that. I am a moderator, but not of this room, so I'm posting in this thread in a just-another-member capacity. A gobby, opinionated one, naturally, but you know me.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, 3 years ago a reviewer received an ARC that had some issues which were then resolved.

Over the years we have published over 100 books, and yes sometimes-not often-mistakes have been made, but we have always rectified them.

Rectifying mistakes is important. I wish more presses understood this.

Yes, POD books have to be priced higher which makes them less competitive. I agree that to say they don't sell well is a bit of generalisation. We have had great success with some of our titles reaching the top 10 in horror and we are not the only ones that have seen strong sales with POD.

Could you give us an indication of what you consider "strong sales" to be? I'm interested to see how your numbers compare to those from a trade publisher which doesn't rely on POD, and which has full distribution.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
As long as we're doing definitions, I think it's important to note that Print-on-Demand (POD) is a business model while digital printing is a technology. While they are often found together, neither necessarily implies the other.

It's probably also important to note that the difference between mass-market and trade isn't in trim size but rather in distribution model.

Mass-market books (which are usually, but not always, rack-size paperbacks) are stripped rather than returned, and are primarily intended for non-bookstore outlets (e.g. bus stations; grocery stores). Trade books (which are often, but not always, hardcover or larger-format paperbacks) are whole-copy returnable and are primarily intended for bookstore sales (i.e. "the trade," short for "the carriage trade," that is, upscale customers--people who went shopping in carriages rather than on foot).

The rise of on-line booksellers and digital sales has complicated things, leading to more possibilities for publishers and more ways for authors to get screwed.

Authors live on the knife-edge, with finely tuned strategies for survival. Any time something in publishing changes those strategies no longer function as well, or at all, and some authors will fall off the edge. Everyone will scramble until new optimum strategies arise--which will last until the next change in publishing.

If you wanted a perpetual headline in the writing business it would be, BIG CHANGES AHEAD IN PUBLISHING: AUTHORS TO BE SCREWED

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Mr Macdonald speaks the truth. Change is the only constant in publishing, and writers need to be aware.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
As long as we're doing definitions, I think it's important to note that Print-on-Demand (POD) is a business model while digital printing is a technology. While they are often found together, neither necessarily implies the other.
That's why I mentioned both "digital only" and "digital first" "Digital first" tends to imply digital and then possibly later POD depending on word count and/or sales. I'm noticing that so many people are completely unaware of these new models in publishing, and yet the change to them is going on everywhere. I'm seeing agented mid list authors who always had print deals having their latest books come out with their New York publishers digital only and digital first lines etc... it's not just for erotic romance any more. Not by a long chalk.

Last edited:

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
No I think a lot of the rest of the world is set up like that too these days, the rich get richer, the poor get poorer.

Last edited:

annetookeen

has a hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
Website
the-sword-that-speaks.blogspot.com
I actually appreciate how Severed Press avoids pretense. Some hide behind a veneer of polite words, never really meaning what they mean. You can sound totally professional and yet be insulting at the same time (if you know what I mean) :)

Ha, Man up indeed and answer some direct questions!

This is not a public meltdown, as much as you would like that. It is merely me calling you on some BS statements you made about our company. BS statements that you constantly avoid dealing with or backing up. No more smoke and mirrors. Either tell everyone here where we lied about using POD or provide some meaningful evidence of author censoring. Or hey, I will cut you some slack, just some meaningful tidbit of a publisher behaving badly.

Come on? You talk much, now put up or retract.

I am quite happy for open discussion and scrutiny. But why should I just stand by while people who have had no dealings with us make false statements about royalties, author censoring and lying about using POD?

You talk of politeness when you show very little.

If you have question for us? Ask it and you and anyone else will receive a polite answer.

Last edited:

radmadfad

Registered
Reaction score
We have had great success with some of our titles reaching the top 10 in horror and we are not the only ones that have seen strong sales with POD

The ball is in your court, Severed. After reading through the thread, I'm very wary of sending Severed my manuscript. I don't think I need to mention why.

But when it comes down to it, all that matters is how you treat your authors and your ability to get books in people's hands. It seems most of the authors I could find online are happy with you as their publishers.

But we haven't received any information about your best selling authors, titles, not to mention what you mean by best selling in the top ten of horror.

Wormwood

Hoping to grow up one day
Registered
Reaction score
He's talking about the amazon genre category, and top ten is a nice accomplishment for a small press.

~Micah

MicahAckerman.weebly.com

PeteDutcher

Twitter: @petedutcherjr
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I self publish my books thru POD and give retailers a large discount code if they order stock for their shelves. That way they make a good profit at the same time.