• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Jane Dowary Agency

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Educational post, Victoria.

This case has been a microcosm of the varied ways 'unsound' agencies and publishers work. I wouldn't necessarily consider Sara/Julia/Drew/Jane to be actively predatory, like some operators. But there is fairly clear evidence here of poor planning and little useful industry knowledge. The way a new-ish agent gains that is not by changing names every year or so to gain a clean slate...it's by working in the business with people who already know. 'Jane' has at least one enthusiastic author in her court. That means little to me, until I see actual sales made and publicized.

ruckeme

Registered
Reaction score
Do the sales/experience really matter?

At this point in the game, a beefed up resume would do very little to clean up "its" reputation. Consider this terrific trajectory:

1. Sarah Levine died of a heart attack so Julia Levin assumed Sarah's clients

2. Julia Levin disappeared

3. Drew Montgomery came into existence with Julia Levin as a client

4. Drew Montgomery and Julia Levin have the same IP address

5. Julia Levin claims the IP address match between her and Montgomery is coincidental and both women are two separate persons

6. Julia Levin, Montgomery's client, claims to have never been a lit agent, only a writer. Thus, Julia Levin has never crossed paths with Sarah Levine

5. Drew Montgomery disappears

6. Jane Dowary appears and admits to housing multiple agencies under different names (albeit indirectly)

7. Jane's client says Jane is a nom de plume and Julia Levin is the person in charge of the lit agency

8. Jane Dowary lit agency is renamed Julia Sarah Levin.

9. Recall Sarah Levine died of cardiac arrest and Julia Levin took over her clients

10. Recall Julia Levin was a client of Drew Montgomery

11. Recall Julia Levin and Drew Montgomery had the same IP address

12. Recall Julia Levin claims to have never been a lit agent, thus she has no ties with Sarah Levine. Yet Julia's middle name is Sarah and their last names match sans the "e" in Sarah's last name.

Just stating the facts, folks.

ruckeme

Registered
Reaction score
Nice Blog, Victoria

Just to point out that it's not a deal--at the moment, anyway--since scriptwriterdad mentioned that contracts have not been signed.

In other news, Julia has killed her Jane Dowary LinkedIn page and now has a Julia Sarah Levin page (though the URL is the same). She currently claims to have attended Prospect Hall College. But back in the spring of 2012, she was claiming to have attended Yale and UC Berkeley (I have a screenshot).

I'm planning on doing a blog post collecting the info I've gathered, probably some time next week.

- Victoria

Nice blog post. Yes, I am a subscriber :)

pisceanreve

Registered
Reaction score
wow....there's my entertainment for the night
I'm really glad I checked this thread when I found her sketchy website

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
No further activity that I can find.

Aside from client Goddard publishing his book on Kindle this month.

scriptwriterdad

Scriptwriterdad
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jimrgoddard.wix.com
Setting the record straight.....

No further activity that I can find.

Aside from client Goddard publishing his book on Kindle this month.

I know the above post is over a year old, however wanted to share that I "published" my novel on Kindle, no one else did. What Julia has done for me is get my screenplays to various agencies, production companies, and talent. Aforementioned in previous posts, I've been able to verify all of them. The fact no studio/talent has signed on is not her fault. I've been in the film/tv industry for over forty years, it simply rolls differently than the publishing world.