How long should I wait?

currerbell

Registered
Reaction score
An agent has been considering my manuscript for quite a while. I think she spent a month with the partial and six weeks with the full. Then, she sent me a detailed email asking for revisions. I worked on that and sent it back to her seven months ago... and have heard nothing. I have sent her two or three "nudge" emails (and I didn't do that until two months had gone by).

Seven months seems like a really long time. Is that normal? Is she ditching me? How long should I wait? She hasn't offered me representation yet, so I am worried that I'm wasting time waiting, but I don't want to annoy her.

Last edited:

MKrys

Quietly obsessing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michelle-krys.blogspot.com
Hmm, seven months does seem like a very long time, especially considering you've already nudged her a few times. Personally, I'd move on to try other agents at this point. I'm interested to see what others have to say though.

currerbell

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you -- and congratulations on The Witch Hunter's Bible!

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
Unless this agent has an exclusive, you can (and should) still query other agents.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't nudge anymore, actually. Usually you nudge after three months. Most agents suggest not nudging again until a REALLY long time has passed after the first nudge because chances are that it's still in the TBR pile and she hasn't gotten to it, and she already feels guilty about that, but, hey, there are 20 other fulls in line before yours and she has clients to deal with first.

But, meanwhile, don't wait. Keep querying, unless she asked for an exclusive (which should have had a time limit). Use what you feel is the strongest version of your novel.

Three months is the average time for most people's fulls, but I would put mine at 6 months. I just have that kind of luck, I guess. And my only R&R request was a year-long wait (to the day).

currerbell

Registered
Reaction score
I think three months (or even a little longer) is reasonable, but seven is pushing it. She has already read the full and has been taking this long to go over revisions I made to it. I did send a couple more queries out and another agent has requested the full. The great standstill has ended! Thank you so much for all the input.