Multiple Genres, Multiple Agents?

MikeG

Writing Crap Every Day
Registered
Reaction score
Huntsville, Alabama and Panama City Beach, FL
I have an agent possibly interested in repping my second book (Florida detective). However, my third book (girl accidental crime fighter/superhero) is not in an area he's interested in.

How do you handle the case where you've written something outside of your agents comfort zone? Do you get a second agent? Is this something that is commonly done?

I feel like contacting an agent and saying "would you be my other agent" comes off as faintly insulting.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'd recommend consulting your current agent on the matter.

Should he/she decline representation for the third book, ask for a personal referral to another agent who might be more suitably interested. Your present agent will not likely take offense at your seeking guidance and advice.

Thus you can preserve your relationship, and subsequently seek the additional representation, if warranted, with a clear conscience.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
It's rare for an agent to allow you to have a second agent--unless it's another agent in the same firm. Often the agent will allow you to contact publishers directly with the book and will be willing to negotiate the agreement once you get one. (That's happened to me.)

But a second agent...? Probably not.