Two Novels

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
I have a second finished novel I'd like to start pitching, even while another novel of mine, in a different genre, is still circulating.

I'm looking for advice on which agents to pitch. Most of the ones who rep both have already seen and rejected either my query or the manuscript for the first. So that mainly leaves agents who only rep the one genre and not the other. Which would mean, if they like this new novel, they probably won't want to represent the other.

However, if I should be so lucky as to get an offer of representation for the second novel,
do I then notify all the agents reading the first one--even though it's a different novel in a different genre?

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Many agents rep multiple genres, so you will have some overlap.

If you get an offer of rep on book 2, definitely let the agents who are reading know one way or another, even if you are just withdrawing your book from consideration because you want to focus on the other book. Give those that might rep both books (the fact that they rejected your query is definitely not a sign that they wouldn't care about book 1 if you were their client later) a chance to read, no question.

In fact, let them all finish reading and hear what they have to say. It could be that an agent reading book 1 wants to hear about or read book 2 (or vice versa) and make a decision about offering rep. It could be that once you hear an agent's enthusiasm about one or the other, you'll figure out which you want to focus on for now. And if the offering agents truly don't rep a genre you write but rep another genre you also write, they may suggest having two agents. There are all sorts of things that could happen, really. So the best thing to do is notify everyone.

ETA: You know, I think I misunderstood part of what your post was about. Do query agents with book 2 that rejected book 1. If you get representation for book 2, you will get to pitch book 1 again to the agent, and it's possible that coming from a client, it will sound better than just with a query. Furthermore, if your plan right now is to only query agents who wouldn't rep book 1 due to genre (so that book 1 would be lost if none of the reading agents offered), book 1 won't be subbed by that agent, so what's the risk of querying agents with book 2 who rejected book 1 anyway?

Last edited:

amschilling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amschilling.com
Agree with Sage, though most agents will recommend a little time in between queries. I would suggest waiting a few months to submit #2 to the people that have rejected #1.