Curious about foreign rights

malco

Registered
Reaction score
My agent sold my first novel to Grove/Atlantic last week, and now plans to try foreign rights sales as well. Is there any way to predict what foreign deals might look like relative to the original American sale? Just curious, and will probably ask my agent next time I talk to him.

Best,
Malcolm

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
From my understanding it's pretty random. I know of one author that was picked up for foreign translation before the American rights sold, and plenty who have managed good advances in North America but failed to sell to any foreign markets.

Unless it's a blockbuster there's no way of telling if it will sell at all. It could do better overseas, it could do worse, it might not sell at all, or it could be huge in Hungary for some bizarre reason you'll never figure out.

That's not to say that it's random, just that the factors which determine sales are different in every market.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
yes, as above. you can make more, you can make less. always worth asking a prospective agent what their foreign mkt experience is - can make a big difference. I