Resume question: a STEM degree

hlynn117

Registered
Reaction score
Writing my query, I'm struck with this problem. I have a college degree from a prestigious private school. However, the degree is in a STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) field, which means I have a bachelor of science. During my time in undergrad, I did take a lot of high level humanities classes, but I never acquired a minor or a major in a humanities field, even though I do have a minor and major in other areas. What can I do about this? Should I mention where I graduated? How about my major? Or should I file this under 'non-relevant information'? I see my degree as a plus, but I'm not sure that an agent or editor will care.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Unless your story has something to do with your educational background, I'd leave it out. I have a engineering degree and have almost no formal education in the humanities. None of that matters -- only the story matters.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Unless your story has something to do with your educational background, I'd leave it out. I have a engineering degree and have almost no formal education in the humanities. None of that matters -- only the story matters.

Agreed. You might mention your B.S. degree, but there is no need to go into particulars. :)

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
i have a PhD; haven't mentioned it because it isn't relevant.

if it doesn't actually help sell the story, it can detract by the very fact you're trying to pretend it does....

hlynn117

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I was leaning towards not mentioning it because it was something I would file under 'non relevant information.' I wanted to see if there was a precedent first or if anyone knew anything I was missing.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
It's best practice only to mention your education if it's specifically relevant to the topic of your book. (In my opinion, this includes having an MFA in Creative Writing as well, but I know opinions differ on that.)

If you've written a non-fiction book about pandemic diseases, it's relevant to mention that you have a Ph.D. in virology or whatever; if you've written a novel about ancient Rome, it may be relevant to mention that you have a degree in Classics. Otherwise, it's just static.