Using QR Codes to Promote Books?

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
My apologies if there's a post on this already, I tried searching under this forum and didn't see anything right off hand.

But I was wondering if anyone has used qr (quick response) codes to promote their books-- whether it be on flyers or book marks, or on the back of the book itself?

I've noticed them on a couple trade published books, but I only recently became familiar with how qr codes work. Seems like it might be a nice, relatively inexpensive promotional tool. Has anyone had any experience with using them?

ARoyce

Hopeful romantic/hopeless pedant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amararoyce.com
So far, I've put QR codes on postcards I made for swag (not to mail but to use as bookmarks and to have something to sign). I set up the codes to link to my respective book pages at my publisher's web site, which has e-bookseller buy links.

Since I have them link there instead of to my web site or something else I can personally track, I honestly don't know if the codes have made a difference. But I had the space and figured it made sense.

I would likely put them on bookmarks and business cards and might link to my web site next time I order some. It would be odd, I think, to put them on the back of the actual book unless you were using the code to link to some kind of bonus content or to your website. I've also seen them in some books as promo for other books by the same publisher.

They're definitely easy to do. I guess it's worth considering how you want to use them (what you want to link to) and how you want to track their effectiveness. I'm not sure how many people actually follow them.

PsylentProtagonist

American Vampire
Registered
Reaction score
I tried it once. It didn't really help too much, but the main problem was where to put the flyers. I stayed around the local campus, which they were probably ignored. Your best bet would be to go around a book store. I think social media would be a better choice, but you might have better luck. Make em eye catching so they pop out to people.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
Thanks for responding. It's not something I plan to use anytime soon, but I've been trying to gather information on potential marketing tools for the future. :)

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
I know of one Dutch children's books writer who uses QR codes in his stories to give children extra information. http://www.debiebbende.nl/info/

His website is in Dutch, ofc, but you can always contact him.

That's cool. Luckily Chrome has an easy translate feature for the main part of the page. It looks like it makes the story a bit more interactive. Neat idea. Thanks for sharing. :)

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking only for myself, I find QR codes annoying and have never used one. Just give me a web address and I'll type that in myself. Doesn't take long at all.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
They seemed to pop up everywhere a few years back, but since disappeared from what I've seen.

Can't say I ever figured out what they were really useful for that can't be achieved with something else.

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
I think since URL shorteners came in QR codes are on the decline. A QR code requires me to download a barcode scanner, open the app, scan it, sometimes rescan it a couple of times if it's on a shiny or warped surface, and then wait for the website. A six or seven letter URL is something I can type directly into my phones web browser and load the site straight up - also, if I'm worried about malicious software etc, I can run it through a checker first, whereas a QR code doesn't give me any hints.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
Thanks for the input, everyone. I think you have valid points. I noticed when I was playing with scanning codes (first time figuring out how to get it to work), that some of them had broken links, even for major brand name products. Perhaps they'd be better used for advertising events, and best paired with a url for those who don't want to (or can't) use the qr code.