Book Trailers

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
Have you ever purchased a book because of a book trailer?

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Jane

I've replaced your shortened link. You can find our FAQ on linking and shortened links here.

Since you're asking input on the book trailer rather than promoting the book I'm going to move your thread to the Book Promotion Ideas and Advice Forum. Do post here in AE&BP when you're ready to promote the book and to let us know where your book may be purchased.

All the best,

Ari

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Merged w/ existing thread.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
I like the art.

However to me it's not clear what it's for? I don't get that it's a book trailer immediately. The music is a bit irritating. And your video title is weird? I'd never click on such a video because of the title.

Where is it available from? I had to search for that bit.

All in all this wouldn't make me buy the book.

But... the art is pretty :)

RichHelms

@BookTrailer101
Registered
Reaction score
Website
booktrailer101.info
Very interesting trailer.

I like the concept of the drawn animation. Unusual and invites the viewer to watch.

I would also be a bit more direct in the titles on the plot.

I agree on the music. Not easy to listen to. Check Kevin MacLeod at http://incompetech.com/music/royalt...&feels[]=Suspenseful&feels[]=Unnerving&page=1

To use his music you pay a small fee or give him credit in the end. I have used many pieces of his work. I have spent many hours on his site selecting a piece.

I would also suggest adding a picture of the book cover in the directive. If you are going to show credits do them at the very end. You force the viewer to figure out what is important and from your perspective credits are not important

Finchlark

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.finchlark.webs.com
Thanks for the comments, this is the first time I've ventured into a book trailer so all feedback is helpful. The music is done with a saw! I was anxious about copyright issues but I think it is quite haunting.

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
Jane, I like the book trailer.

I'm reading a book that talks about book trailers and everything marketing by Joanna Penn, How to Market. She says if you just make the book trailer it's not likely to help. Ideally, you should have a YouTube channel, with more videos. She gives some great ideas for fiction and non-fiction writers about this. Also she says mention it on your blog (if you have one), social media etc. It's a great book...very helpful if you are looking for marketing information. She also has a blog, youtube channel, podcast...so you might be able to google her "thecreativepenn" and get some of her great advice about book trailers and other forms of marketing.

I looked at your book on amazon, and it looks interesting. Have you considered an ebook version? I almost always read fiction on my e-readers. I can easily slip an e-reader into my purse and be ready whenever I have a minute to read. I generally only buy paperbacks of books I have already read and love (and want to read again). It's just a thought.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Finchlark

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.finchlark.webs.com
Thank you, Literateparakeet, actually there is an ebook also which is selling better than the print version. Thanks for your comments, I'll take a look at her book and on Youtube. I have a Youtube channel but not really sure what to do with it LOL

PillBlast

Registered
Reaction score
I loved the art of the trailer. It's the first time I have seen a book trailer but I have to say I liked it. I have the same comments as the people above:
- the music (I like it but I think it is a bit too loud. Not all of it, but the straw sound. My speakers are vibrating in a weird way because of the pitch I assume)
- I would add the cover as someone mentioned and a click-able link on the youtube video
- Fix the title
- The title of the book that appears at the beginning is a bit too similar to the rest of the narrative. I would make it really stand out some way so people can see that it is the title.

That being said, I think having a book trailer is such a great idea. I am a visual person and it catches my attention as much as a book blurb.

Did you make the drawings yourself? The transitions between them are very interesting.

Finchlark

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.finchlark.webs.com
I loved the art of the trailer. It's the first time I have seen a book trailer but I have to say I liked it. I have the same comments as the people above:
- the music (I like it but I think it is a bit too loud. Not all of it, but the straw sound. My speakers are vibrating in a weird way because of the pitch I assume)
- I would add the cover as someone mentioned and a click-able link on the youtube video
- Fix the title
- The title of the book that appears at the beginning is a bit too similar to the rest of the narrative. I would make it really stand out some way so people can see that it is the title.

That being said, I think having a book trailer is such a great idea. I am a visual person and it catches my attention as much as a book blurb.

Did you make the drawings yourself? The transitions between them are very interesting.

Thanks, a friend who is a Professor in Animation did the trailer, scratched on glass apparantly, and the music from a saw! Well beyond me. Thanks for the feedback. When you say fix the title, what do you mean? Is it the + between each word?

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
I don't normally watch book trailers, but the animation in yours is great. Much better than the typical PowerPointy stuff with voiceovers.

I had wanted to do a trailer for my book, because I used to do movie editing and webinars in a previous job, and I enjoy that kind of work. I just never got around to it.