Need Book Recommendation(s): Breaking Bad

smalls

Registered
Reaction score
One day I will need comps for a query letter, but using a TV show for a comp is a no-no. It will also be good for me to read what else is out there in the same vein as my own WIP. So, can anyone recommend a good book or books that are similar to Breaking Bad?

I found a few lists online, but most of the recommendations in those lists were simply books with an anti-hero protag without much else to connect them to BB.

Thanks in advance!

(For example, I just finished Flex by Ferrett Steinmetz and also liked Afterparty by Daryl Gregory.)

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I can't help - I'm one of the few people who haven't watched the show - but could you specify a little more of what you're looking for? What is it about the show that's similar to your book, that you want comps for?

Do you want books about the meth/drug scene, for instance, or books about dark characters doing dark things to survive? Is it the atmosphere you want similar to the show, or the characters? Would you be open to sci-fi/dystopian or historical, or do you only want contemporary?

smalls

Registered
Reaction score
I can't help - I'm one of the few people who haven't watched the show - but could you specify a little more of what you're looking for? What is it about the show that's similar to your book, that you want comps for?

Do you want books about the meth/drug scene, for instance, or books about dark characters doing dark things to survive? Is it the atmosphere you want similar to the show, or the characters? Would you be open to sci-fi/dystopian or historical, or do you only want contemporary?

Books about the drug scene - real drugs or fantasy drugs (Flex is about magic distilled into drug form). Even better if the characters involved in the drug scene are unlikley types to be there (like Walt being a high school teaching family man who's so far from what you'd expect from a meth cook that even his own DEA brother can't see it). Any genre, really, as long as it's fiction. I've already read a lot of memoirs and such and I'm looking for a story that's not just: I got into drugs, things got really bad, then I got help and now I'm better.

But even without the above specifics, if there's a book someone read that made them think, "oooh this so reminds me of Breaking Bad!" I'd love to hear about it.

Thx!