Dean Koontz

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I've tried reading Koontz several times, and for some reason I can't identify, I get tired of his writing style. That doesn't happen with Stephen King, or numerous other "genre" writers I've read, and certainly Koontz is nowhere near as leaden and tone-deaf as, say, Robert Ludlum or Tom Clancy, but I just have a bad subliminal problem with his prose.

My oldest daughter thinks he's the god of novelists.

Maybe I'll give another one a go.

caw

althrasher

Prodigal Muser
Registered
Reaction score
I've never really read any Stephen King or anyone else, so I can't compare Koontz to other horror writers, but I like him for my part. Especially From the Corner of His Eye--I thought that book was amazing. No one mentioned The Face...I liked that one too.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
My husband lurves Koontz and has read almost everything the guy wrote. I have only read two of his books - Cold Fire, which kept me up all night until I finished it. Then I teed off because I hated, hated, hated the ending. I lost a night's sleep over that awful ending. Grrr...

Then, about three years ago, hubby convinced me to give Koontz another go. Okay, suck it up and read Tick Tock - which I gave up another night's sleep to finish. I had a couple of problems with it, but all in all, gave it two thumbs up. Of course, I haven't read anything else by him, but hubby is still pushing Intensity, which is his fave.

jonereb

Registered
Reaction score
I'm with you, Scarletpeaches. I prefer commonly used words in storytelling. Perhaps I'm lazy. Kootz creates wonderful characters. His writing is crisp. Use of humor, suspense and horror on the same page is thrilling. I may be guilty of taking a book of 350 to 400 pages and attempt to reduce it to 250 pages. I can be impatient at times.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I had to give up on Koontz a while ago. Too much author intrusion, filler and overwriting for me. Some of his books were great fun but eventually, I felt as if I'd been there before.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite Koontz are Midnight, Phantoms, and Dark Rivers(of the heart?) Nowadays he's not an autobuy for me, but I do pick up the ones that sound interesting.

Captain Morgan

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that was a lot of responses quick.

I had an interesting morning. First second-hand shop I went into, I found a LOT of Koontz books, but no Funhouse. Looks like this one really didn't catch on, even though there was a movie behind it.

The bookstore lady didn't even realize Koontz had another pen name, and mentioned it was the second time that morning someone had informed her of a writer using another Pen. Anyhow...we looked under both names but couldn't find it. I then went across the street into yet another shop, and low & behold, we found ONE copy of it. The later (blue) cover, and 2.75$ for a copy that looked almost brand new, I can't complain. Thank god I found it cause even the library didn't carry it. Anyhow, I'm off now to read the first chapters (the only parts the critics said was any good *laugh.

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
My husband lurves Koontz and has read almost everything the guy wrote. I have only read two of his books - Cold Fire, which kept me up all night until I finished it. Then I teed off because I hated, hated, hated the ending. I lost a night's sleep over that awful ending. Grrr...

Then, about three years ago, hubby convinced me to give Koontz another go. Okay, suck it up and read Tick Tock - which I gave up another night's sleep to finish. I had a couple of problems with it, but all in all, gave it two thumbs up. Of course, I haven't read anything else by him, but hubby is still pushing Intensity, which is his fave.

Intensity is a great book. It's one of my favorite Kootz books. :)

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I've not read many of Koontz' novels, though I've got a few around here in my TRQ. My profile response under "Ultimate writing dream" is from 1996 or so, when I was in the supermarket checkout aiisle where there was a display of brand-new hardbacks of "Intensity" with those crazy yellow lines for sale. I knew you didn't get your books displayed there unless you had a reputation for selling lots of books and they expected this one to sell a heck of a lot.

I HAVE read his books on writing, and find them quite interesting. He wrote of changing from Science Fiction to Mainstream for one very specific reason: To make more money.

Captain Morgan

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I read up to chapter 3. The prologue was rather the longest section in the book, and probably longer than any prologue I've read before.

I also have to give him credit for using the word 'and' in a sentence the record amount of times, but I guess that is a minute thing. However, I can't help but notice, (as others pointed out) he CONSTANTLY seems to have to restate the color of people's eyes, no matter what is happening.

Interesting enough, we are told Conrad's face features looked like the clown's face on the funhouse, as the artist modeled it from him him. That's great and all, but the only real thing I know regarding how he looks is he has blue eyes from the re-statements earlier. I'm sure he will remind me again later in the book, just incase I happen to forget the eye detail.

And another thing, people's eyes tend to only be blue or green so far. Any chance I run into brown eyes? :p

Toxic_Waste

Registered
Reaction score
There is only one real book of his that has interest to me, which is The Funhouse. It was not his idea by any means, but an adaptation from the horror script which made it to the screen. But since the movie has some sentimental value to me, etc. I am planning to pick up a copy of the book.

Captain M, the movie means something to me, too. I'd like to read that book when you are finished.

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm the odd one out - I started reading Koontz with Odd Thomas, and am enjoying his more recent books more than his older work.

Captain Morgan

Registered
Reaction score
Captain M, the movie means something to me, too. I'd like to read that book when you are finished.

Alright, I promise not to throw it out then when I am done.

Right now, I'm about 1/3 of the way through it. Unfortunately, it looks like it will be a very long time before the protagonist even ends up in the funhouse! That's a shame, as it was my favourite element in the movie.

Toxic_Waste

Registered
Reaction score
I don't like it when things take forever to get going.

Captain Morgan

Registered
Reaction score
Update. Right now I am halfway through the book. Finding myself VERY bored. I decided instead of focusing on the grindingly slow pace of the story, to look more at his form of grammar. This is something I read suggested on the forums.

I didn't realize until now, how poor the writing structure of this novel really is. Or maybe it just got poorer in the middle of the book. Koontz seems to break every single rule of grammar I was taught to avoid. Now I understand style, and maybe he is well aware of what he is doing and doesn't care, I don't know.

I have to admit, it seems strange when a regular sentence has TEN commas inside it! Or when you have numerous tiny 1-2 sentence paragraphs, and then stick in a 1.5 page long paragraph. Though, variance is good, and maybe that's ok to break up the repititious patterns, why go into extremes?

The last chapter I read had the mother of long sentences I have ever read in my life! The one sentence spanned about 1.3 pages in length. No breaks, all one sentence!

I just don't know. I would have certainly failed class in grade 5 had I written in this manner. I wonder if Koontz just did it as a joke. Maybe he had a bet going with someone, "Hey, bet you can't break all those editing rules and get away with it!"

In any case, I think it's obvious Koontz won the bet. Though he did have to publish it under a Pen Name, which now could explain some things...

And then again.... what do I know about writing a best seller. I'm one who still worries about getting my own grammar perfect yet I have 0 books under my belt so far. I of course have a lot to learn...

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Before you write off Koontz, please read Midnight and/or Odd Thomas.

Midnight has a prologue, cleverly disguised as Chapter One.

auntybug

teh other evil broad
Registered
Reaction score
I am destined for greatness. I'm just pacing mysel
Website
www.junekramin.com
Fun House is on my short list of books of his I don't like. You'll get through but do pick up another - he does have some great stuff. I pick on the big words and the streetlight line (maybe thats like his eyes thing......) but he does have some good stuff out there. Try Odd Thomas when you're done. :)

***OK - I typed slow. Key to midnight is good too!

Last edited:

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
Before you write off Koontz, please read Midnight and/or Odd Thomas.

Midnight has a prologue, cleverly disguised as Chapter One.

I really disliked Midnight, but loved Odd. Also, I just finished Winter Moon, and it was more like Midnight. Dissapointing. I want to go back to Pico Mundo!

Toxic_Waste

Registered
Reaction score
Captain M, are you sure the movie Fun House was based on the book of the same name? I haven't checked into it. Even if it was, movie versions are often nothing like the books. Even the movie Jaws had several changes that I did not like. And look at Interview with a Vampire...in the book the story was Louie's but the movie seemed to be mostly about Lestat.

I always prefer the books to the movies, but that's probably because my own imagination fills in the gaps, whereas movies just lay it out for you, take it or leave it. No room for imagination when you watch a movie.

Captain Morgan

Registered
Reaction score
Well, it has been a while so I am now bumping this one up to the top. I finally did get around to finishing this book after a little break.

Yes, I was very let down also by the ending. I can only conclude he got tired of writing it and just wanted it to STOP!

I also am not happy that hardly anything at all happened in the funhouse except for the last few pages. Sad.... so sad, I feel like I have been false-advertised again!

Now, if only I got a dollar for every page that Koontz describes the color of someone's eyes....

There is however, one interesting tidbit in the book. The last chapter was included where he talks about writing the book, and some data regarding the movie.

He admits he was a very poor writer before, and nothing he wrote was selling under his own name. Though somehow he was offered to write a novel for Tobe Hooper's film (despite scrip was already completed). Being a failing writer, how could he refuse the deal?

Interestingly, the movie was delayed 4 months, so the novel was out 4 months on its own, but it SOLD! The turning point in his career. Though the publisher used a pen name, Owen West as they wanted to create a new writer name and get it aquainted with the public.

The novel sold, until the movie came out, where it instantly plummeted and no one bothered having the book on the shelves anymore, which was a bizzaire twist from the norm. He still blames Tobe Hooper in some way for that...

Then by another ironic twist, the Dean Koontz books eventually started to sell, but those under the pen name Owen West did not do very well. So what happened? The publishers stripped off the pen name, put it to rest in the grave, and slapped on 'Dean Koontz'. Suddenly, those same books sold again.

Typical... once again we see how books are sold by name.... NOT by content. So sad, but that's the literary public for you.

At least Koontz admitted that he refuses reprints of some of his older stuff, stating that he admits in his younger writer years his inexperience lead him to write such poor works, that he wont even let them be brought to life. Despite they'd probably make money.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a Dean Koontz fan, yes. The first book of his I read was Life Expectancy. I picked it up in the airport and didn't stop reading till I was done. I loved Lightning and Odd Thomas and yes, also Velocity. He owns James Patterson, as far as bestsellers go.

Toxic_Waste

Registered
Reaction score
One thing I don't understand, is if an author wrote crap in his or her early years, how did it get published in the first place? This is something I just can't figure out. I am not talking about self-publishing, but getting picked up by major publishing houses.

And does it mean that given a chance, even the author of a poorly-written book can be developed into a best selling sensation? (I know that isn't exactly true, but from what Captain Morgan said about Koontz's experience in the publishing world, it sure sounds that way.)

Seems like we often hear about famous authors' early work being not-so-good. Maybe in the old days, the publishers had more money to spend on projects that were not outstanding.

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
I loved Koontz's earlier works, but then read two not-so-good ones in a row and wrote him off. Sounds as though I need to go back again. (Can't remember the names of the two; I just remember one was about a heroine I didn't identify with spending a lot of time tied to the underside of a table. I never got so bored with a table.)

The first of the "loved" category I read was Watchers, the second was Twilight Eyes. I recommend them. (And I have no objection to talking dogs.) I did read Funhouse; it's not his best, but it was a good read back then. As this thread makes obvious, everyone's taste is different, even when the books are by one author. Sample from the ones recommended in this thread, and enjoy.

(Re. Funhouse - I haven't checked, but is it on Amazon? They often have old books from other sources. The book is often cheap, the S&H is where the money is made, usually about $5. I'm snapping up old John Dickson Carr's right now, as my budget allows. Or sometimes, as it doesn't allow...) :D

Last edited: