Proof Galley Agony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avimorris

Registered
Reaction score
The good news is that I got my first ever proof galley to review from a publisher. The bad news is that there was a formatting glitch so that about 10% of the punctuation in quotes were messed up. I was getting dizzy.
icon9.gif

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Porting to Rountable

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
At least they caught it now! I think every author on earth has a terrible discovery story like that...

(Mine was the discovery that they had sent an old version of the file to the copyeditor. The structural edits had made substantial changes, so I was looking at the proof for a book that was...not what it was supposed to be. There was panicky flailing.)

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
At least they caught it now! I think every author on earth has a terrible discovery story like that...

(Mine was the discovery that they had sent an old version of the file to the copyeditor. The structural edits had made substantial changes, so I was looking at the proof for a book that was...not what it was supposed to be. There was panicky flailing.)

The worst has to be poor old Jonathan Franzen, during his ill-fated tour to the UK a while back. Not only did someone nick his glasses right off his face and run off with them, but while he was doing a reading from the UK edition it dawned on him that his UK publishers had sent an old version of the file to print.

Kay

I wish I was as cool as this cat.
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone who purchased my book in the first 8 or 9 days it was out got the edition with 17 typos, including one spot where I used the wrong person's name. I was under the assumption that my book was not going to be released on the set date because I hadn't received my proofs. My publisher thought she'd sent them to me and the version they had was the final proofed version. It got straightened out and corrected in the end, but I still cringe thinking of the people who had to push through those 17 typos. Probably like, a whole ten people. (The only up side to crap sales.)

KMTolan

No drama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kmtolan.com
Heh, had this one book where I used angle brackets to denote a different kind of dialogue rather than using regular speech. In the galley they were all turned to italics. Ship names had their italicization removed. Inner thoughts in several cases ended up as quoted dialogue.

Don't think that editor is with the publisher anymore.

Kerry

scifi_boy2002

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone who purchased my book in the first 8 or 9 days it was out got the edition with 17 typos, including one spot where I used the wrong person's name. I was under the assumption that my book was not going to be released on the set date because I hadn't received my proofs. My publisher thought she'd sent them to me and the version they had was the final proofed version. It got straightened out and corrected in the end, but I still cringe thinking of the people who had to push through those 17 typos. Probably like, a whole ten people. (The only up side to crap sales.)

My first book had 200 typos, well, I stopped counting at 200. It can always be worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.