How this UK author got her ITIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
The London IRS people are very lovely...

And yes, I think they only ask for the W8-BEN if they hit your publisher with an audit.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Used to work at the IRS Service Center in Austin, many moons ago. Used to know lots of people there (and yes, many of them are lovely...honest!)

Unfortunately, just about every person I know has now either moved on or retired. Sorry I can't help much. :(

But good luck to everyone!

Julie Reilly

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I got my ITIN today - whoopee!!!

But I am a muppet - I made a typo on the W7 form and typed the wrong month for my date of birth, so on my ITIN notice is has the wrong DOB - they obviously didn't double check it against my passport!

So, anyway, I am assuming I can still use the number, as I can't get hold of anyone at the US Embassy to ask. I have filled in the contact section of the ITIN notice and posted it back to them, with a covering letter. But I have also sent off my W8BENs to everyone I need to.

If they send me a different ITIN after they've processed it with the correct DOB then I'll have to do it again, but I'm assuming my number will remain the same.

*fingers crossed*

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Today while helping another person with their w8Ben I realised something: is you have a US Social Security Number you can use that instead if an ITIN --and I DO have a SSN!
When I think of all the time, hassle and money I could have saved --- anyway, maybe the info can be useful to others now.

CH1

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
It's easy enough to do yourself. If it's free, that's great, but if it isn't there's plenty of advice out there (including this thread) that'll walk you through it step by step and all you have to pay is postage.

CH1

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply, nkkingston.

I sent them an email, asking what documents I'd need etc, and it seems you still end up doing most of the work yourself anyway - and they do charge for their services.

I think I'll take your advice on board and really have a good read of this thread.

Kate B.

Registered
Reaction score
I'm Canadian and acquiring a ITIN was a 13 month debacle for me.

I'll spare you the sordid details of the phone calls and conflicting letters from the IRS, but my application was rejected several times because I didn't have specific wording on my supporting documents. Unfortunately, they don't tell you that, they only reject your application with a "you have provided insufficient documentation" notice. And then you chase your tail trying to figure out what you're missing (well, I did, anyway).

So here is what ended up working for me:

-a certified copy of my passport
-a W-7 form filled out with boxes a) and h) selected
in h) add "1D Royalty Income"
and directly under in additional info add the country, and the Treaty number (in my case: 12)
- a signed letter from my literary agency with this exact wording:
"<my name> requires an ITIN so that <my lit agency> may make distributions to her during the current tax year that are subject to IRS information reporting."

Hope this prevents someone from experiencing similar frustration.

Best,
Kate

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
Apparently they're getting really tight on it. There was a discussion on one of the author loops I'm on, and one person had had theirs sent back because even though they'd had their passport copy certified by someone their country considered sufficient, they weren't considered official enough for the IRS.

Also, apparently they expire now? I don't know any more about that, though.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Apparently they're getting really tight on it. There was a discussion on one of the author loops I'm on, and one person had had theirs sent back because even though they'd had their passport copy certified by someone their country considered sufficient, they weren't considered official enough for the IRS.

It's the apostille that adds pukka official status to anything certified.

Last edited:

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com

That's what I've heard. And that though this only applies to new ones after a certain date that they may back date it to make ones issued before that expire. Presumably an idea from the "Pissing Everyone Off and Causing Extra Inconvenience and Expense" department at the IRS.

I wonder if you have to go through the whole rigmarole again each time? What a pain. :mad:

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
Funny isn't it how governments crack down on minnows like us and meanwhile the big sharks are swimming around avoiding every bit of tax they can. But heaven forbid they miss out on a couple of dollars from my short story on KDP.

slashedkaze

Smutter
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard they'll eventually get around to making the old ones expire too. Wouldn't surprise me.
I got my first application rejected. Allegedly because they didn't like the supporting letter from my publisher. Waiting on my second rejection now. It should come next month. (Yes, I'm optimistic.)

Status
Not open for further replies.