Writers that read novels please suggest books

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relayer

Registered
Reaction score
It's been awhile since I posted. I hope this is the right place to ask this question.

I am doing research for my next novel. My usual starting point is reading novels similar to what I want to write. I've searched Amazon and Goodreads, but not getting much help.

Briefly, the genre is dark/black comedy, more sexy rather than romantic with financial ruin revenge as the plot. No murder or cop stuff, nor is it a thriller. I plan to keep in the mainstream, women's fiction, or "chick lit" genre.

Think "The Help" meets "American Hustle" or "First wives club." However, the focus is on the haves-nots against the haves rather than racial, social, or sexism, etc. issues. I site movies as examples because I also write screenplays so its easier to think in those terms.

My next stop is the local library and bookstore. You can't replace the knowledge of book sellers and lenders in finding what you are looking for.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated either novels or authors that are similar.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
There's an older one by Fay Weldon called The Lives and Loves of a She-Devil. It was made into a movie at one point, but it's worth a read. I wouldn't say it's terribly 'sexy' from what I remember, but it was definitely dark, centered on revenge and so on.

The premise is that there's a frumpy housewife whose husband runs off with a very rich, glamourous author of Romance novels and she seeks to ruin her rival and get her husband back.

Relayer

Registered
Reaction score
There's an older one by Fay Weldon called The Lives and Loves of a She-Devil. It was made into a movie at one point, but it's worth a read. I wouldn't say it's terribly 'sexy' from what I remember, but it was definitely dark, centered on revenge and so on.

The premise is that there's a frumpy housewife whose husband runs off with a very rich, glamourous author of Romance novels and she seeks to ruin her rival and get her husband back.

Roseanne and Meryl - bad movie. I'll check out amazon. Thanks

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
You mentioned The First Wives Club already, but many of Olivia Goldsmith's books can be described as revenge fantasies. The Bestseller is a fun one that takes place in the publishing industry.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Uhhhh . . . you don't read novels? Is that what we're dealing with here?

Because if it is, you're dealing with really big problems in trying to write one. And we've had threads here expressing exactly this situation.

But, if you do read novels, read widely. Read all kinds of stuff, mysteries, romance, horror, fantasy, SF, literary, thriller . . .

Narrative techniques get revealed in every genre of good writing. Don't blinker yourself by reading only the kind of stuff you aspire to write.

caw

Last edited:

Maybe

Registered
Reaction score
Mmm. Perhaps you might care to rethink your response blacbird. While relayer might have phrased her question better, surely that's no reason for being rude.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Mmm. Perhaps you might care to rethink your response blacbird. While relayer might have phrased her question better, surely that's no reason for being rude.

You're new here, and welcome. But we've had more than one thread where people have posted that they actually don't read the kind of work they're trying to write, and wonder why what they're trying to write isn't working. I don't say that is the case for this thread, but the thread title certainly did make me wonder.

And I'll reiterate my basic advice: READ. Read widely. Pay attention to how successful writers do things, in a variety of genres.

caw

Last edited:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe, welcome to AW -- and if you think a post is rude or out of line or needs attention in some way, please use the "report post" button; it's in the column under your user name at the bottom, a little red triangle with an exclamation point in it. We do pay attention to those reports. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.