Hello fellow scribes!

mknapp360

Registered
Reaction score
For as long as I can remember I have written stories. For an equal amount of time I have likewise scorned my literary attempts in every way possible. I cannot recall how many screenplays, short stories and novels I have thrown out simply due to doubt. It wasn't until a few weeks ago when I was speaking with a friend that I realized that writing and getting a novel (or 20 novels) published is at the top of my bucket list.

So far I like where writing has taken me. I don't know what everyone else does in their process, but I immerse myself in a subject. Suspension of disbelief is huge for me, its usually why I don't like Sci-fi or Fantasy. Though it can't be denied that many of our most timeless stories around the world can be considered Sci-fi or Fantasy. I tend to gravitate towards crime, thrillers, suspense, and police/military procedurals. I've met people of terrible intent, people of ridiculous opulence, been to nearly every continent, and lost and found myself many times over - simply in an attempt to find a new world or existence to write about. I didn't even know there was a name for this until I discovered Hunter S. Thompson in my early twenties. He called it Gonzo journalism, so I guess that makes me a gonzo novelist. It was Fran Lebowitz who saved me and made me begin thinking of writing again when she said "there are too many books, the books are terrible, and this is because you have all been taught to have self esteem." Perhaps my internal, recovering catholic editor was right for once.

Here I am, back at square one writing again, however this time with a sense of loathing of any new idea I may have. Hopefully only the best will filter through so I have enough confidence to submit something after a few drafts. There is nothing in life as useless as a writer, yet nothing as important as story.

I hope to meet some folks, and maybe get a beta team together so that someone can get their work out to the great unknown.

Ken Horn

I drank what?
Registered
Reaction score
Love it... the mind of Hunter S is always a fun and interesting trip to take. I applaud your intention to write again, may the volume of information and the community here be as helpful and rewarding an experience for you as it was for me. Best of luck to ya.

vraci967

Registered
Reaction score
Gonzo journalism, huh? That's interesting. Welcome!

EllaM

Herding Cats
Registered
Reaction score
Hi! :welcome:I enjoyed your intro - I look forward to reading your creations!
:TheWave:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

lilmerlin

We are many - and get along fine!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gruy.biz
Hello and Welcome! You appear to have led an interesting life so far and all your journeys always returned you to writing - sounds like you have come to the right place...

Lilfairy

Enjoying insanity
Registered
Reaction score
For as long as I can remember I have written stories. For an equal amount of time I have likewise scorned my literary attempts in every way possible. I cannot recall how many screenplays, short stories and novels I have thrown out simply due to doubt.

Hi mknapp360 and :welcome:

I have done this very same thing countless times over the last 15 years or so. The only pieces that seemed to have survived my ruthless rejections are poems.

I have decided in recent months that I'm not throwing away any more stories. If I grow disenchanted with it now, I'll put it away and revisit it at a later date.