Hello from a new/old writer

Damon Shulenberger

Registered
Reaction score
Website
damonshulenberger.com
Hi,

Just rediscovered this forum after about five years, forgot I was a member (doh!). I guess the last time I joined I thought my novel Arisugawa Park, a mystery thriller set in Japan, was almost ready to go out into the big bad world of bookstores and Amazon. Unfortunately, it was not.

After several years of inactivity on the Ari Park mss. and a half year of major revisions, I am much closer to meeting my goal of securing an agent. The only respectable agent who responded positively to my work four years ago is now quite enthusiastic about the 500-page novel and had other agents/interns at the firm read it and give me line-editing and revision advice. We recently met over lunch in Northern California, for four hours that flew by pretty darn quickly (thanks in no small part to a bottle of wine).

As I assume the agent's time is precious, she must have a fundamental belief in the book. (I'll refrain from naming the agency until I sign a contract).

Anyway, I am posting here initially and will probably revisit the forum over next few days, putting up a "goals" thread at the start of the (projected) end of this 10-year journey. It is nice to see such a supportive and "flame free" community still exists. We writers are such a mature bunch.

I posted a brief article about Ari Park (appreciate shares and recommends): https://medium.com/@damonshulenberger/arisugawa-park-a-10-years-quest-in-suspense-1-61456e865634

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif
welcome back

Tom Johnson

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www15.brinkster.com
Welcome back. Good luck with the agent. I love reading stories set in Asia. Japan is an extremely interesting location, as is Hong Kong. I read just about everything I find set anywhere in Asia. I have a Blog at pulpden.blogspot.com that you might visit. Or just visit the Blog in my signature and you'll find me and it.

Kuranes

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! Hopefully we can read an excerpt of your book in the near future. :)

Damon Shulenberger

Registered
Reaction score
Website
damonshulenberger.com
Welcome back. Good luck with the agent. I love reading stories set in Asia. Japan is an extremely interesting location, as is Hong Kong. I read just about everything I find set anywhere in Asia. I have a Blog at pulpden.blogspot.com that you might visit. Or just visit the Blog in my signature and you'll find me and it.

Thanks Tom! I like the vintage look of your blog site. Would you be interested in reviewing Ari Park? Could definitely use some pre-publication traction. Although I like to think my "literary" novel is about as far from pulp fiction genre as you can get, it definitely shares some elements with the genre.

Kuranes: guess I need to reach 50 posts before I can share an excerpt, but I look forward to it.

May be a little racy, but here is a 1940s pulp style illustration that my artistic collaborator Victoria Kabluyen has created. It depicts a scene in the book where Eve, a Roppongi hostess who has woken under the dead body of her lover in a love hotel (in an apparent set up) decides to change hair color and take control of her life.

aeaf4755dfeecec3bca76a8c2473940d.jpg

Last edited:

Ken Horn

I drank what?
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome back and most assuredly the very best of luck in the journey to see your work delivered to a wider audience.

Tom Johnson

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www15.brinkster.com
Hi Damon, sure, contact me off line. It sounds like a good mystery. I read a lot of modern books from publishers. I have a stack of books on hand to review through September, but should be able to read it some time in October. Use the email I list on my Blog.

Damon Shulenberger

Registered
Reaction score
Website
damonshulenberger.com
Cool. The agent seems to think Ari Park could merit a (semi-major) publisher release, but I would like to generate pre-pub buzz and, more importantly, gain realistic feedback from literary enthusiasts.

lilmerlin

We are many - and get along fine!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gruy.biz
Hello Damon and welcome! Wow, this sounds like a wonderful ending to a long story. Well my (the one I am anxiously hovering over) MS started to become alive 5 years ago, they voices spooked in my head since fifteen years and now I am wondering where to go with it. So there's still hope!